Home Precious Metals

1889 schaffhausen movement

Anyone think this has any value?

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats it made of?
    Take a picture of the case inside.....
  • i am not sure i would love to say gold!!! lol but the color is a little copper looking as you can see, but when i did some research on them there are ones that look like that and are gold... But im trying to figure out what year they started to stamp gold marking? Because im most likely incorrect thinking that they didnt start stamping gold marking until 1900's.... Any ideas best way for me to test to see what it is made of?.... Because besides sports collections, i also recieved alot of pocket watches from my grandpa who seem to have them from his grandpa and father which he saved, along with a bunch of other cool old stuff.....
  • i am trying to take a good picture of the inside of the case and they are not comming out good and cant read all the numbers and stuff it has edged inside the casing, wont come out in the photos.....
    It will be marked on the inside of the case 14K or some such, if it is not and just has a series of numbers or letters it probably is plated. If so and it is working then it might be worth 50 bucks. If not working it could cost 200 buck to fix........
  • ohh okay thanks..... 50$? why when i just look up the movement ITSELF schaffhausen the movements go from 50-300$ without cases or anything and just the movements...
    If it is working then maybe you could sell for that, but I don't know what you are looking at ...a catalog?. The problem is who do you sell it to? A watch repair shop would be a good place to start. I have bought and sold lots of watches but I lost interest years ago...I may be out of touch. If it is real gold then yes it has value depending on the weight etc.... The watch must work properly to be saleable. Someone may offer to buy the movement but who???
  • That is very true.... Thanks alot thebigeng for your help man image.. What do you collect if you dont mind me asking...
    Type collector mostly, large cents also. Welcome to the boards!
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything has value to the person who desires it...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking old watch. You did not say if it is in working order. Cheers, RickO