Options

Is Tom Brady over-rated?

2»

Comments

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

You said Landry at 2-2 is better
    then Parcells at 2-0.

You actually GIVE credit to Landry for his two losses !!!!

You don’t discredit at all !!!!

That is not only the “everyone gets a trophy “ crowd , but it’s actually “everyone is a winner crowd “ !!!!!

You do not discredit SB losses at all !!!

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 6:19AM

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:
    The formatting didnt come out great, but you get the drift. while BB was going to 5 more SB's and winning 2 of those, Chuck Noll was sitting on his couch, watching BB win those SB's

Final question because we just see it differently.

Yes or no answers please.

Was Otto Graham’s 7-3 championship record greater than Tom Brady’s 7-2 championship record?

Was Tom Landry’s 2-2 record better then Bill Parcell’s 2-0 record ?

well, Toms SB record was also 7-3, so on face value, he and Graham have the same championship record.

Yes, Landrys 2-2 record was more successful than Tunas 2-0 record.

which is a more successful season, making it to the playoffs and losing in the first round or making it to the SB and losing.

100 out of 100 coaches would take making it to the SB.

Your rationale is spot on and you support it well. No need to elaborate.

Keep going....but good luck landing a point in your current conversation, yikes.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@stevek said:
    Belichick and Brady are both GOATs. They did great things together which they couldn't have done separately. Often the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, like with the Beatles. I think that is the case here.

I believe that Belichick had more to do with it. Some not as football savvy as me (😉) think that Brady had more to do with it. In any event it was done, and it was magnificent - that's the main thing. 😊

I only wish it would have happened in Philly. 🤔

QB GOAT is impossible, and Noll has Belichick beat on Super Bowl record and drafting record. JMHO

Nope, I replied over in the BB thread, but to state it again, 6-2 in the SB is Worlds better than 4-0. lots and lots better.

If a 4-0 and 6-2 team lead a division in baseball the 4-0 team is in 1st place because both teams have a 4 game win differential and the 4-0 team has a better winning percentage.

we are not talking about divisional standings in baseball. we are talking about a single-game elimination championship game.

that is not apples/oranges it is apples/Crocodiles.

Your coach was a 3 and 12 point favorite and > @1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:
    The formatting didnt come out great, but you get the drift. while BB was going to 5 more SB's and winning 2 of those, Chuck Noll was sitting on his couch, watching BB win those SB's

Was Otto Graham’s 7-3 championship record greater than Tom Brady’s 7-2 championship record?

well, Toms SB record was also 7-3, so on face value, he and Graham have the same championship record.

which is a more successful season, making it to the playoffs and losing in the first round or making it to the SB and losing.

Keep going....but good luck landing a point in your current conversation, yikes.

Question-

If I have 4 $100 bills and lose none, how much money do I have ?

If you have 6 $100 bills and lose 2, how much money do you have ?

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:
    You said Landry at 2-2 is better
    then Parcells at 2-0.

You actually GIVE credit to Landry for his two losses !!!!

You don’t discredit at all !!!!

That is not only the “everyone gets a trophy “ crowd , but it’s actually “everyone is a winner crowd “ !!!!!

You do not discredit SB losses at all !!!

Of COURSE you give credit to Landry for his 2 SB losses. Because while he was busy playing in those 2 extra SB's the big tuna was on his couch eating pork rinds. The seasons that Landry lost 2 SB's were vastly more superior to Tunas next best 2 when he lost in an earlier round.

I dont understand why you are hammering on the "everyone gets a trophy" talking point. it is not germaine to this conversation.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

I know, but you know how it feels when you are certain you are right...

• Options

Here’s my last comment here because I see we think differently.

Bill Belichick is 36-38 as a head coach with NE w/o Brady.

He is no Chuck Noll.
    Not even close.

Enjoy watching his front office moves on the field for however long he hangs on. It won’t be pretty w/o Brady.

Dead Horse 🐎😀

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no thoughts on this discussion except that it's bugging me that you don't give Bill B. 3 Super Bowl losses and you forgot about Parcells loss with the Patriots.

• Options

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@stevek said:
    Belichick and Brady are both GOATs. They did great things together which they couldn't have done separately. Often the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, like with the Beatles. I think that is the case here.

I believe that Belichick had more to do with it. Some not as football savvy as me (😉) think that Brady had more to do with it. In any event it was done, and it was magnificent - that's the main thing. 😊

I only wish it would have happened in Philly. 🤔

QB GOAT is impossible, and Noll has Belichick beat on Super Bowl record and drafting record. JMHO

Nope, I replied over in the BB thread, but to state it again, 6-2 in the SB is Worlds better than 4-0. lots and lots better.

If a 4-0 and 6-2 team lead a division in baseball the 4-0 team is in 1st place because both teams have a 4 game win differential and the 4-0 team has a better winning percentage.

we are not talking about divisional standings in baseball. we are talking about a single-game elimination championship game.

that is not apples/oranges it is apples/Crocodiles.

Your coach was a 3 and 12 point favorite and > @1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

Question-

If I have 4 $100 bills and lose none, how much money do I have ?

If you have 6 $100 bills and lose 2, how much money do you have ?

It does not matter what the betting favorite for the projected winner of each SB was. not at all.

does that mean that Joe Namath and the Jets get extra special credit for winning SB 3 when they were 18 point dogs?

Is the Super Bowl 3 victory actually worth 1.3 Super Bowls because the Jets were such big underdogs?

See how nonsensical that argument sounds?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 6:52AM

this thread is inching its way toward legendary status

if you have a hypothetical 30-year period where one coach won the first 15 SBs but didn't even sniff participating in the other half, and another coach reached 8 out of 15 from the first half and won the last 15, thereby making it 15-0 vs 15-8, to say that the former coach is more successful in the annals of football because the L category is cleaner is so profoundly misguided

but I don't expect a meeting of the minds, because this is one of those classic it's-my-favorite-coach-player-or-team-we're-talking-about-here-therefore-i'll-never-be-able-to-see-the-forest-for-the-trees discussions

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:
    This thread is just silly 😄😄😄

hey, this thread has a Perk sighting from 2016!!! the way back machine

I was kinda talking smack about Hoodie back then too lol

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    this thread is inching its way toward legendary status

if you have a hypothetical 30-year period where one coach won the first 15 SBs but didn't even sniff participating in the other half, and another coach reached 8 out of 15 from the first half and won the last 15, thereby making it 15-0 vs 15-8, to say that the former coach is more successful in the annals of football because the L category is cleaner is so profoundly misguided

but I don't expect a meeting of the minds, because this is one of those classic it's-my-favorite-coach-player-or-team-we're-talking-about-here-therefore-i'll-never-be-able-to-see-the-forest-for-the-trees discussions

You left out the key ingredients of our discussion.

What if the 15-0 coach inherited a horrible team, and built it through the draft to reach those amazing results.

The 15-9 coach only won 15 because of his star QB, and the 9 he lost his team was a favorite every time.

Who’s coach looks better now ?

Not team. Coach only.

Belichick is 36-39 without Brady at NE. Let’s see how many SB’s he gets to now, just like Noll did with a horrible team.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following anecdote somehow seems to fit here, but perhaps only in my mind. I'm sharing this off of memory, so if any details are wrong, feel free to correct me, but don't @ me. Anyway, I digress...

The Patriots had just won their first Super Bowl. Disney was still doing that thing with the commercials right after the game, which I don't think they still do. Maybe I'm wrong. But we all know what I'm talking about.

Tom Brady goes to find Bill Belichick after the game. Belichick is enjoying a six pack of Corona, or Heineken, or something, and is in a hotel room with some people. Brady comes into the room and asks permission to skip the team charter back to Massachusetts. Why? So he can take his free trip to Disney. Belichick responds by saying something like, "yeah, of course you can skip it, how many times in your life are you gonna win the Super Bowl? "

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 478 ✭✭✭

@4for4 said:
    Your SB question is not pertinent to the Noll-Belichick point.

Noll at 4 and 0 has 4 more SB wins then losses.

BB at 6-2 has 4 more SB wins then losses.

If you give BB credit for his wins, then you have to discredit him for his two embarrassing losses.

They are tied in SB success.

Noll was the better drafter, and thus the better man.

Better to be there and lose then not not be there at all. How many players say they just want a chance to play in the big game.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

No- there are others that may be underrated

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.