Home Metal Detecting

Detected my new property, haven't been out in 2 years

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, i figured i'd post just so i feel relevant! I detected my new 6 acre property for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I took the two kids with me, 8yr old son and 5 yr old daughter. We started in the stream bed and found several horseshoes, the kids loved that. We didn't find anything worth running home to mom with and quit after about 30 minutes image. A few days later My son wanted to look for a spot to build a tree fort so I took the detector along. We found some old farm metal in the midst of mature hardwoods, some trees have a 2' diameter at the base. The only cool thing we found was a 1893 IHC that was dropped in pretty good condition. It was only about an inch in the ground and came out in pretty good shape considering the age. We only spent about 30 minutes detecting that day. I think i'll get back out there and do some more looking with a different coil. Should I go big or small? I have a Whites Spectra V3i and the standard coil. I have a 12" coil and a small high trash coil. The undergrowth is pretty limited, i could swing my 9" coil pretty easily but it would tone when i hit small brush. My property backs up to 250 acres of mature hardwoods.

The house is about 10 miles from an area that was established in 1637. I've found some Connecticut coppers on large farms in the area, lots of civil war buttons and the like. I haven't done any history searching on my property but I believe the entire area was farmland about 150 years ago.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go big with the coil unless there's an awful lot of trash targets, nails, etc.

A nice 1893 IHC at 1" deep is an encouraging sign!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find.... there could be some really good stuff on that property... any old cellar holes?? Those can be quite productive - often trashy, but good finds once the trash is cleared. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a very good start.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like some potential at your property! Nice start with the IHC. With the area being that old, maybe some Mass silver is hiding there.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like great potential.

Checking carefully around the biggest and oldest trees you can find may pay off. If an old tree has a peculiar appearance that makes it stand out- all the better.
    Sometimes there's one particular tree that's "the spot" that people used to hang around

Anywhere near water is always good.
    High ground can be good too.

Rocks that look good to sit on are worth a sniff around

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro