Home Precious Metals
Options

Paypal limitations

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone here gone through paypal limitations or freezes on their accounts? I was talking to a small dealer earlier who was shut down for months by paypal. He said this lawsuit was a trigger for why paypal has gotten ruthless: http://www.wsj.com/articles/pa...-violations-1427312161

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's from 2015

And did the dealer do a lot of Sudan, Iran and Cuba business?

I was repeatedly flagged by PayEnemy this year. This was during eBay Bucks enticements as well as discounted gift card sales.

Apparently, to me, buying promo items during promo times is suspicious? Well, at least someone here has complained of stolen GiftCards and gift cards being bought using stolen account credentials. However, none of mine were ever flagged as gifts and they went to the email on file plus they were all sold by paypal digital gifts. How is that suspicious?

My account was restricted several times culminating in paypal requiring various documents to be uploaded. This was ridiculous because prior to the requests it contacted me by phone THREE times for each restriction to the phone number on the account that has been on the account for years. How can they explain 3 phone contacts THEN restricting me?

One excuse was my IP address might be changing or I was using a different browser. The last time I had the restriction removed I made them note my IP address and I told them I was logging it so that excuse can't be used again. (Neither changed as I had external logins to systems that would have broken had the IP address changed, and I know which browser I have kept open)

It's been a few months since my last restriction. Who knows why they stopped. Perhaps it was the negative feedback on sales of GC, or the IP address thing, or the docs uploaded, or ??

It's really PayParanoid for them to call me THREE times THEN their system decides it needs to restrict me. The stupid thing is that after each of the 3 contacts it says I've been verified. Unreal paranoia.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I've never been restricted by them for anything. If you're smart about it, you don't get restricted...there's a reason, like with anything else, why they would. They don't just do it for the hell of it.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    With dealers or higher volume sellers they more and more want anti-money laundering plans in place. In my case I only buy from dealers, and have all the invoices.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had an issue such as that.... I do use paypal a lot, but perhaps not the volume of a dealer.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    many of their requests for personal info has to do with their IRS 1099 reporting requirements.

An increase in money processed through the account is likely to trigger their interests in confirming all is well with the account.

I for one welcome their concern. Don't want to see them become another Wells Fargo.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Derryb....just noticed your new sig line......love it! Speaks volumes about our misdirected Fed!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Just got this: Our review is complete and we have restored your account.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your help in making PayPal the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

My business is totally transparent, and there is no chance of dirty money unless the brick and mortar dealers I deal with are first laundering.
  • Options
    Happy your account was restored!!!

I haven't had this issue, but a number of high volume sellers have reported getting their paypal accounts into some level of monitoring/ho*****er over excessive PayPal Gift use. I think that was less for suspicious activity and more that PayPal wanted their 3%.

~JobIII
    Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com

Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst is having an ebay business and doing a large number of sales, over $1M a year. The amount of documents I've had to hand over to PP to unrestrict my account every 3 years is maddening.

AML policy/audit
    bank statements
    Photo ID
    SS #
    Supplier Contact info
    Tax statements
    samples of invoices

and the list goes on and on.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: piecesofme
    I've never been restricted by them for anything. If you're smart about it, you don't get restricted...there's a reason, like with anything else, why they would. They don't just do it for the hell of it.

They did it to me just for the hell of it.

I think they have been having problems with gift card fraud.

I am a long time buyer of gift cards on ebay. I buy ebay bucks gold and non-ebay buck gold and more

I've spent anywhere from under $1 on an item to thousands.

none of the items I was purchasing (gift cards sold by paypal digital gifts) were outside my buying pattern... plus more (read my post above). all was ordinary with me except paypal decided to restrict me multiple times.

==> this has been true for years: no one has a problem with paypal until paypal has a problem with them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Originally posted by: logger7
    With dealers or higher volume sellers they more and more want anti-money laundering plans in place. In my case I only buy from dealers, and have all the invoices.

Originally posted by: ricko
    I have never had an issue such as that.... I do use paypal a lot, but perhaps not the volume of a dealer.... Cheers, RickO

volume was within norms for me as well... all multiple times.

and my "dealer" was paypal digital gifts.