Home Sports Talk
Options

NCAA Cancels all Championship Games scheduled in North Carolina

JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-relocate-championships-north-carolina-2016-17

It looks like the NCAA will not put up with oppressive or radical legislation.

Games cancelled:

2016 Division I Women’s Soccer Championship, College Cup (Cary), Dec. 2 and 4.
2016 Division III Men’s and Women’s Soccer Championships (Greensboro), Dec. 2 and 3.
2017 Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, first/second rounds (Greensboro), March 17 and 19.
2017 Division I Women’s Golf Championships, regional (Greenville), May 8-10.
2017 Division III Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships (Cary), May 22-27.
2017 Division I Women’s Lacrosse Championship (Cary), May 26 and 28.
2017 Division II Baseball Championship (Cary), May 27-June 3.
My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand why they did it but I'm not sure I agree, and I'm a Liberal!!!

my first memory of a Political stance taken by an athlete was John Carlos and Tommie Smith at the 1968 Olympics and in the almost 50 years since then it has gotten stupid. while prominent athletes sometimes make "statements" from a Political viewpoint it is by-and-large marginal athletes such a Kapernick who get caught up in it. I watch Sports as a way to escape from the insanity that dominates everyday life via the Media, so it bugs the crap out of me when the athletes have to pull the stuff into their events as a form of self-aggrandizement. now, with this move that has gotten traction in the past few months, an entire organization has done the same thing. about the only area of Sports where such things don't happen is Golf. I'm waiting for some winner of the Masters to make some ridiculous action on the 18th green when he wins the Tournament. I sense it coming.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

College sports except for women's volleyball,(for obvious reasons) suck any way . I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Why isn't the NCAA protesting Penn State honoring that scumbag Joe Paterno ?The bathrooms there were unsafe for 40 years.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

I understand why they did it but I'm not sure I agree, and I'm a Liberal!!!

my first memory of a Political stance taken by an athlete was John Carlos and Tommie Smith at the 1968 Olympics and in the almost 50 years since then it has gotten stupid. while prominent athletes sometimes make "statements" from a Political viewpoint it is by-and-large marginal athletes such a Kapernick who get caught up in it. I watch Sports as a way to escape from the insanity that dominates everyday life via the Media, so it bugs the crap out of me when the athletes have to pull the stuff into their events as a form of self-aggrandizement. now, with this move that has gotten traction in the past few months, an entire organization has done the same thing. about the only area of Sports where such things don't happen is Golf. I'm waiting for some winner of the Masters to make some ridiculous action on the 18th green when he wins the Tournament. I sense it coming.

I agree. To a large extent, many athletes pull these little stunts as a form of self aggrandizement. Look at when CK did it. He was benched as a backup and was starting to loose the spotlight. Then all the sudden he is a bastion of social consciousness and the spotlight is burning brightly again. Pathetic.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

College sports except for women's volleyball,(for obvious reasons) suck any way . I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Why isn't the NCAA protesting Penn State honoring that scumbag Joe Paterno ?The bathrooms there were unsafe for 40 years.

+1

I don't understand the Penn state thing either.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree!
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: perkdog

Totally agree!

Totally disagree.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Totally agree!

Totally disagree.

Do you disagree about college sports sucking or the Penn state thing?

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44

Totally agree!

Totally disagree.

Do you disagree about college sports sucking or the Penn state thing?

Both. College sports is the real deal.

And don't believe everything you hear in the news.

• Options
    College sports are usually a ton of fun to watch and Penn State didn't so much as "honor" Joe Paterno rather than recognize the 50th anniversary of his first game. I don't think they should have done so either way - it's akin to honoring OJ Simpson IMO, but it's not like the NCAA didn't take steps against Penn State already.

Either way, it's off topic. I don't believe the NCAA is holding any championship games at State College, nor should they.

Additionally, if the NCAA finds that State College is still partaking in deplorable behavior, they should take further steps against them.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

Totally agree!

Totally disagree.

Ofcourse you do, your one of the biggest PC posters on CU
  • Options

Totally agree!

Totally disagree.

Ofcourse you do, your one of the biggest PC posters on CU

lol no.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paterno is a national disgrace.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not gonna get into it with anyone here one way or the other, but it really is amazing how much people believe just from watching the news and reading things online. Not just with Paterno, but with pretty much anything. Almost everything online and in the news is made with the intention of getting the most clicks and views, not with the intention of actually telling you the truth about everything.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: orioles93
    Im not gonna get into it with anyone here one way or the other, but it really is amazing how much people believe just from watching the news and reading things online. Not just with Paterno, but with pretty much anything. Almost everything online and in the news is made with the intention of getting the most clicks and views, not with the intention of actually telling you the truth about everything.

I don't totally disagree with you as we are guilty of believing everything we see. However, just using deductive logic do you at least think it's possible Paterno knew or had a strong hunch? I don't know and will admit to getting my information from the news. However, it seems like Paterno would have gotten a whiff of something being off, no!?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

I don't totally disagree with you as we are guilty of believing everything we see. However, just using deductive logic do you at least think it's possible Paterno knew or had a strong hunch? I don't know and will admit to getting my information from the news. However, it seems like Paterno would have gotten a whiff of something being off, no!?

SteveK was pretty much the only defender of Joe Pa and the rest of those scumbags, I sincerely hope he was the only one that had even reasonable doubt
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

SteveK was pretty much the only defender of Joe Pa and the rest of those scumbags, I sincerely hope he was the only one that had even reasonable doubt

This.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Exactly. Does anyone seriously believe Paterno could be that clueless? Seriously?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The media is one of the biggest problem with this country, it's not so much that they deliver false information as it is the spin that they put on certain topics. Almost like hearing or reading only the point they are spinning without being impartial. They want to cause a stir to get more ratings.
  • Options
    Back on topic, I think the NCAA should not be involved into shoving their political beliefs downs everyones throats.

• Options
    Back on topic, I think the NCAA should not be involved into shoving their political beliefs downs everyones throats.

Wow! Finally something we agree on!
  • Options

I think North Carolina is trying to shove their political beliefs down the NCAA's throats, and they politely refuse to go there (when it can be avoided).
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does the NCAA even allow teams from North Carolina to participate?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Originally posted by: JHS5120

I think North Carolina is trying to shove their political beliefs down the NCAA's throats

How so?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I heard why North Carolina was being punished by the NCCA....all I can say good for you North Carolina for standing up for the right thing!!
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

This - too Totalitarian for my taste.

It won't be long before people are being sanctioned/penalized/incarcerated for any sort of difference of opinion. It will likely get a catchy phrase like Orwell's "Thought Crime".
  • Options

+1

• Options
    So dimeman, when I heard the reason I had the same thought. As the father of a young girl, north Carolina got it right on this one. Sorry ncaa

• Options

I think North Carolina is trying to shove their political beliefs down the NCAA's throats

How so?

Well, the NCAA holds most of these events in NC every year. Now NC tells them, "you can have your sporting events in our state, but these are the new laws." The NCAA literally said, "no thank you, we will go elsewhere."
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

How so?

Well, the NCAA holds most of these events in NC every year. Now NC tells them, "you can have your sporting events in our state, but these are the new laws." The NCAA literally said, "no thank you, we will go elsewhere."

Not the same at all. Whatever laws the states make, you're never going to please everyone.

The left is weaponizing sports. First the government, then schools. What happens when a culture loses its last neutral ground?

• Options

How so?

Not the same at all. Whatever laws the states make, you're never going to please everyone.

The left is weaponizing sports. First the government, then schools. What happens when a culture loses its last neutral ground?

You can never please everyone, but if a state passes a unique (and some would call discriminatory) law, than a company/person/organization can surely leave.

What if it were a tax related issue? No one would blame the NCAA for being "preachy" if they left because it made fiscal sense. However, if they leave because it makes sense from a PR standpoint they're in the wrong? I disagree.

North Carolina passed a law that prevents national and global companies from operating within the state. There are travel alerts issued for the state from other countries warning their citizens that it might not be safe. If there are other places for a company to operate, then they should. There is literally no need to force their customers or employees into situations that they could otherwise avoid.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    Are you speaking about the bathroom law in n Carolina? How does that restrict global companies? Or is a different issue I am unaware of.

• Options
    Any business with customers outside of North Carolina or recruits employees from outside of North Carolina is affected. Deutsche bank stopped an expansion because of concerns of the effects the law will have on their employees. Tourism is severely down, there are travel restrictions implemented by other states and there are actual travel advisories issued by countries.

Asheville alone estimated a $2 million loss from tourism.

Many people don't believe North Carolina to be a safe place to visit any more.

If you had a business and were able to choose from a country with travel restrictions, severe travel advisories, a decrease in tourism and real risks of dealing with discrimination of your employees and customers, would you set up business there?
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    Why exactly does a bathroom law make N. Carolina such a dangerous place now? Honest question.

• Options
    Why exactly does a bathroom law make N. Carolina such a dangerous place now? Honest question.

Because it forces some women to use the men's restroom and vice versa.

Virtually every anti-sexual assault and domestic violence group opposes this bill. The law doesn't prevent assaults, but actually puts a lot of our nation's most vulnerable at risk.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    I believe it only requires one to use the bathroom of the sex reflected on their birth certificate. I fail to see how that is dangerous.

• Options

Exactly. So much for protecting children. I call BS.
    This outrage has been directed toward North Carolina when 29 other states do not offer special protections to people who use the LGBT designation.

• Options
    Well, there are millions of people on this planet with genders that don't match their birth certificate. So they now have to use the wrong bathroom. You can see the problem this could cause.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

Well, there are millions of people on this planet with genders that don't match their birth certificate. So they now have to use the wrong bathroom. You can see the problem this could cause.

Oh my gosh. I don't even know what to say here.

First world problems

• Options

OMG! Are you saying that there are millions that have had a sex change??!!
  • Options
    I think N. Carolina bathrooms are probably much more safe for our youngest, most vulnerable citizens.

Imagine this scenario

A man who is not transgender gains access to the women's room under the guise of being a pre op transgender person. Prove he is not transgender. You can't. Now we have predators in the bathrooms with our young children. Not ok.

The "feelings" of some are NOT more important than the SAFETY of others.

My advise, grab a few extra tissues while in the bathroom to wipe away the tears from the heartwrenching experience of having to use the proper bathroom.

• Options
    Hot button threads like these are overtly political in nature and really aren't appropriate for the CU forums, as they invariably devolve into political arguments with members getting banned. .

• Options
    I thought this had to do with the gov. saying that school children must use the same bathroom....boys and girls! This is unacceptable!

Can you imagine high school boys and girls using the same bathroom!

As far as transgenders go.........I don't know what the answer is to this.

If I gave my opinion on this......I would be banned for sure.
  • Options
    Your scenario has been proven to be a nonissue. Link

It's best not to try to solve a problem that doesn't exist. You're only creating more problems.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

Your scenario has been proven to be a nonissue. Link

It's best not to try to solve a problem that doesn't exist. You're only creating more problems.

Read the article. Puff piece with a clear agenda.

If you cannot imagine that scenario happening, then you don't have a very fertile imagination.

It will happen. These laws are mostly too new for any real data on these crimes to have been collected.

Situations like these draw predators like magnets.

To bring it back around, the NCAA is dead wrong here. One can find laws in every state that can offend people.

Skins are very thin nowadays.

• Options

[...] with a clear agenda.

We can both agree on that. A coalition of organizations to prevent sexual assault and domestic violence certainly has a clear agenda. I just didn't realize there were people who try to dismiss that agenda.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

[...] with a clear agenda.

We can both agree on that. A coalition of organizations to prevent sexual assault and domestic violence certainly has a clear agenda. I just didn't realize there were people who try to dismiss that agenda.

Exactly, they are a lefty group who want to pretend there is no danger here to promote more states being open to transgender bathroom laws.

Do you not think this situation will draw predators like a moth to a light?

This is a VERY dangerous situation.

• Options
    What situation? There are an estimated 1.4 million transgender Americans and an estimated 50 million around the world. There are twice as many of them as there are Texans. There hasn't been an issue for the other 49 states, nor has there been an issue in North Carolina. These people have existed for over 100 years without causing trouble, what's new? Why are there suddenly "possible scenarios?"
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    Reading comprehension.

I never said the issue was with transgender people. The issue is with predators posing as transgender people and hurting children. The "situation" is allowing people into bathrooms for which they are the wrong sex. You CANNOT definitely prove whether someone is or isn't transgender. Can't do it. So, you cannot police who should or shouldn't be in a particular bathroom unless you use their birth gender. It is very easy for a child predator to lie their way into the wrong bathroom and lie in wait.

The difference between now and 100 years ago is that transgenders are being allowed into opposite sex bathrooms and locker rooms. This poses threats whether you want to acknowledge them or not.

People are so worried about "feelings" that they are willing to allow dangerous situations to occur.

• Options
    Reading comprehension.

I never said the issue was with transgender people. The issue is with predators posing as transgender people and hurting children. The "situation" is allowing people into bathrooms for which they are the wrong sex. You CANNOT definitely prove whether someone is or isn't transgender. Can't do it. So, you cannot police who should or shouldn't be in a particular bathroom unless you use their birth gender. It is very easy for a child predator to lie their way into the wrong bathroom and lie in wait.

The difference between now and 100 years ago is that transgenders are being allowed into opposite sex bathrooms and locker rooms. This poses threats whether you want to acknowledge them or not.

People are so worried about "feelings" that they are willing to allow dangerous situations to occur.

They've always been allowed. North Carolina is the first to outlaw it.

Over one hundred years of this not being an issue and now North Carolina outlaws it. You can (hopefully) see why it is considered discriminatory.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    Reading comprehension.

They've always been allowed.

You mean it was never enforced. Just recently some creepers at certain stores including target were recording naked teen girls.
    http://www.wnd.com/2016/06/creepy-peepers-target-hit-with-wave-of-men-snooping-on-teens/