Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question on die polish/die damage

Can anybody shed some light on die polish vs. die scratches (pre strike) vs. planchet damage? I have a medal on the way that has clear scratches on the fields, but I suspect they were either on the planchet before the strike or they were part of a damaged die. Note the scratches appear to be underneath the letters in the closeup - see the X in particular. Any ideas?

Detail:

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Another closeup

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If die scratches, then the marks would be raised on the coin. If planchet scratches, then we should see signs of obliteration (from striking).

Are these marking raised or not?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVP - that is a good common sense observation that i cannot yet answer. Medal will be in hand next week so I will report back.

Here is the piece in question graded by our host:

1788 German States - Freising

Sede Vacante medal

PCGS MS-62

imageimage

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brent - is the metal "softer" - this is what one tends to see in aluminum yet silver scratches tend to be localized. To me this seems too systemic and on one side of the medal. Perhaps a die issue.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it would be insane to have that much it really looks like there was a lot of lint on the die..which would be a strike through.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like raised lines to me.
  • Options
    Almost looks like a combination of everything. Yes, die polish is raised.

Question: Is this medal or coin rotation? A possibility on the "straight" lined areas could be clashing from the obverse while the other squiggly areas are scratches mixed with very little or slight die polish. You can possibly do an overlay and see....
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Looks more like a strike through hair/wool to me.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Looks like struck through fibers to me too.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas everybody. I will update the thread once I get hands on the medal with a loop in hand. Who could have guessed that the 1788 issues were struck during the annual Freising wool fair at the cathedral?
  • Options
    Interestingly, this is the same piece.