Home Precious Metals
Options

Apmex sure is trying hard to manipulate...

The market with a barrage of sales. Usually when they do that, the market tanks in a big way. I wonder if they have some inside information. Will be very curious to see how the market opens Tuesday after a long holiday weekend
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme
    The market with a barrage of sales. Usually when they do that, the market tanks in a big way. I wonder if they have some inside information. Will be very curious to see how the market opens Tuesday after a long holiday weekend

10 4...Not only does APMEX, but also JMBullion, Providentmetals & baypreciousmetals, have decent deals going on. I guess they must communicate among themselves with the "inside information."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really believe this then there are ways to make a fortune in front of this long weekend

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

If you really believe this then there are ways to make a fortune in front of this long weekend

mark

or dump product at a higher value than it's going to be a few days from now.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they just see an opportunity to move inventory.

When one lowers, others must follow suit to keep market share.

Seriously doubt if there's a conspiracy here. There are much bigger ones to wrap your planning around.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they just need to make payroll.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

or dump product at a higher value than it's going to be a few days from now.

What he's saying is if you personally have this conviction then you personally could make money from it -- like taking a large DUST position.

Anyway, as mentioned in the old "APMEX going under?" thread, APMEX wools be a moron not to be hedged. When they buy gold, they sell an approximately equal amount of paper. When they sell gold, they close the paper.

My guess is that eBay & PayPal are giving large bullion sellers a break on fees.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    What he's saying is if you personally have this conviction then you personally could make money from it -- like taking a large DUST position.

This.
  • Options
    Yep.

Profit from your paranoia

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    piecesofme I was wondering the same thing, as it looks like a lot of offers out there. And occurring in front of a holiday weekend where we have seen in the past quite frequently the metals get hammered on the following day.

No, I will not follow my 'paranoia' by taking a huge DUST position... it is merely a curious observation on my part, nothing more nor nothing less. I'll leave the gambling to those who have much more spare change they have nothing else to use it for.... certainly not me!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much to write....but I will refrain.

I love this place!!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Originally posted by: Wingsrule

This.

I get what he said...I don't think my plain English reply was understood. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Wingsrule

This.

I get what he said...I don't think my plain English reply was understood. image

I guess not.

Did you dump product into Friday's strength?

On Thursday, I made my third buy on the way down and am wondering if I'm going to be holding it all for ""longer than anticipated.""

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    All I said was "This", agreeing with the comment from above that was quoted in my response.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the big paper traders have 1000X more inluence than APMEX sales.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Originally posted by: EagleEye

I think the big paper traders have 1000X more inluence than APMEX sales.

I think you are on the low side and of course they don't know otherwise they would be stock brokers instead

M
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG!! Gold is down $1.70. We're DOOMED! Why didn't I LISTEN?? image

. . . Oh wait, platinum's up $2.00. We're SAVED!!! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I hope that most of you are aware enough to realize that silver at $19.50 as I write this, up from when Apmex was sending out emails saying merchandise was on sale when it was $18.80-ish is not the norm. It also isn't the end of Tuesday yet either.

Some who follow the pattern of them sending out mass sale emails confirmed that when that happens it tanks more often than not.

To those that took advantage of those sale prices and locked in merchandise, congrats. You have a bigger set than I.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if the price will in fact drop or not... but had to purchase some silver this last end of week anyways! Had to make use of the ebay 6% points bonus while they offer it; the way they have been adding more restrictions to the Coins and Bullion areas (gift cards have been the latest) I expect the bonus points will get there eventually also.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that most of you are aware enough to realize that silver at $19.50 as I write this, up from when Apmex was sending out emails saying merchandise was on sale when it was $18.80-ish is not the norm. It also isn't the end of Tuesday yet either.

Some who follow the pattern of them sending out mass sale emails confirmed that when that happens it tanks more often than not.

To those that took advantage of those sale prices and locked in merchandise, congrats. You have a bigger set than I.

Apmex, Provident and most of the large players are hedged with paper. They make money whether bullion is rising or falling on the spreads. There is the requirement that they are actually selling product though.

I was talking to an Apmex buyer I know at the ANA and he was telling me how dead the bullion market was, and how sales are down huge. They have to keep buying whether or not they are selling, so seems to me the solution for them is to lower buy prices, drop their margin a bit and put stuff on sale to move inventory. Thus making payroll like Baley posted above.

JMO but I think they are just reacting to a slow market.
  • Options

Go back to bed. The long weekend is over and PM's are up modestly.

Zero surprise.

mark

• Options

Zero surprise.

mark

and of course you went on record, after the fact. Congrats to those of you up $8 on the 10 oz bar you purchased...$80 on 100'zs. Now when you try to flip it, because you will, eBay/Paypal will take all your profit. Congrats on being the middle man.

All it was was a mere observation that some confirmed. And of course, someone like you wants to take credit for it because on a fluke the opposite happened LOL.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Yep.

Profit from your paranoia

mark

image that should make you Billions!image

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

Zero surprise.

mark

and of course you went on record, after the fact. Congrats to those of you up $8 on the 10 oz bar you purchased...$80 on 100'zs. Now when you try to flip it, because you will, eBay/Paypal will take all your profit. Congrats on being the middle man.

All it was was a mere observation that some confirmed. And of course, someone like you wants to take credit for it because on a fluke the opposite happened LOL.

Were you drinking when you wrote this? If so, that would explain things.

mark

• Options

Zero surprise.

mark

I think APMEX is tiring of buying back from me what I buy from them on ebay's bucks days.

and I'll take my $8 profit. I get other fringe benefits from the CC and from shopping sites that I don't include in the profit.

eh. call it something enjoyable for this cheap person does to fill time.

• Options
    I pulled seven random dates where APMEX offered sales. In six of those cases, prices were higher the day after. The only exception was silver dropping $0.12 the day after. While I also remember APMEX seeming to predict a downdraft in the market, the data shows otherwise.
  • Options
    APMEX has a sale just about every Friday now, don't they?

Although discount percentages may vary.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "sales" are just temporary relief from rising premiums.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Originally posted by: MsMorrisine

Zero surprise.

mark

I think APMEX is tiring of buying back from me what I buy from them on ebay's bucks days.

and I'll take my $8 profit. I get other fringe benefits from the CC and from shopping sites that I don't include in the profit.

So this means you if would've sold back to them you would've had to buy...from Apmex, at Spot, and then after shipping the bar back to them with you paying shipping both ways, you still made $8 on a .80 move in Spot? Interesting.

The point (because it seems I have to spell out everything here these days):

1) You, or anyone else, will ever buy any 10 oz bar from Apmex at Spot.

2) Paying shipping both ways when you buy then sell back to Apmex means you're out a minimum of $12 on a 10 oz bar, min. $12.

3) You have to have at least a $4 per oz. move in Spot from the time you bought a 10 oz bar from Apmex to when you sell back to them and pay shipping to mail it back to them...to BREAK EVEN.

4) This is the internet, but BS can only go so far even on here.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero surprise.

mark

So this means you if would've sold back to them you would've had to buy...from Apmex, at Spot, and then after shipping the bar back to them with you paying shipping both ways, you still made $8 on a .80 move in Spot? Interesting.

2) Paying shipping both ways when you buy then sell back to Apmex means you're out a minimum of $12 on a 10 oz bar, min. $12.
    3) You have to have at least a $4 per oz. move in Spot from the time you bought a 10 oz bar from Apmex to when you sell back to them and pay shipping to mail it back to them...to BREAK EVEN.

Not sure how you arrived at you shipping expense.
    A) shipping is free if your purchase is over $99 from APMEX.
    B) Shipping to them would cost you less than $4 .. for one ( First class mail in a bubble mailer ... I know, I've done this several times myself) Don't waste you money by buying insurance...USPS does not cover bullion if mailed via First Class mail)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OPA

Zero surprise.

mark

Not sure how you arrived at you shipping expense.
    A) shipping is free if your purchase is over $99 from APMEX.
    B) Shipping to them would cost you less than $4 .. for one ( First class mail in a bubble mailer ... I know, I've done this several times myself) Don't waste you money by buying insurance...USPS does not cover bullion if mailed via First Class mail)

Sorry for the confusion.

I probably couldn't take and 80 cent move and make money.

but I do flip back to APMEX for small profits, sometimes as low as $8 but I'll just say that I've made money flipping back to ebay and $8 was on the very low side of profit once.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's there's bullion, there's beef. Where there's paranoia, there's chicken.

Don't mind me guys. I'm just practicing my philosophy and typing.