Home U.S. Coin Forum

Trade dollar guys: Thoughts v 2.0?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
You might recall I posted a pretty chopped trade '76-S trade a couple of weeks back.

Got this '75-S today and I'm looking for opinions.

I'm curious if it's spurious. I'd be grateful: Is the weight full? Your impressions of the chop--Would it straight, or would it flop?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lower chop kinda looks like a broom handle image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'chop', if that is what it is... in her lap and just above it... looks questionable to me.... I looked in Rose's book and did not see anything like it.... Cheers, RickO
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like lamination peel to me.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks kinda chewed up and my gut tells me this would end up in a PCGS details holder. Under and around the date looks really rough for no apparent reason. PCGS is ok with reciprocal damage directly opposite a chopmark, but there's no explanation for the roughness in many places on this coin. You never know though, it's all opinions so maybe there's an MS60 or AU58 in it's future.

Weight is correct.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55. Maybe details
    Thanks again, guys!

AU was what I was thinking, though there's a 61 out there that I think this one beats.
    --Severian the Lame
    Originally posted by: Weiss
    Thanks again, guys!

AU was what I was thinking, though there's a 61 out there that I think this one beats.

61 is gonna be beat up but have full luster. Yours has jacked up luster (unlike your other one). If you decide to do a set, I have 4 or 5 dupes

• bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    I too noticed this one on eBay but felt uncomfortable with he odd chop and the coin's surfaces. It is hard to judge surfaces off an eBay seller's photo as we all know and since the chop didn't look kosher at least to me I passed knowing that the 1875-s is common and another surely would come along quickly that would probably be a safer bet. If it were me I would take MrTDN's offer, can't go wrong with that and send the bay piece back, imho.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN dupes??? Those must be some hum-dingers!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    Originally posted by: bjamin
    I too noticed this one on eBay...

Not from eBay, though I suppose it could have been originally. Post a link or auction number if you've got it handy.
    --Severian the Lame
  • bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Weiss
    Originally posted by: bjamin
    I too noticed this one on eBay...

Not from eBay, though I suppose it could have been originally. Post a link or auction number if you've got it handy.

You are correct not on eBay, I just checked, I guess I saw it somewhere else for sale.
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chops look OK to me, but the coin is pretty beat up and the surfaces are probably not original.
    Tiny video of the piece. Not a flawless gem by any stretch, but I think she has fine luster and cartwheel--she's just baggy. Hell, it's had a couple of steel spikes hammered into her image

1875-S trade with chops (and Joy Divison)

--Severian the Lame
    OK - so your still photography sucks. Video looks great
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from the gif, looks like full luster so I think MS60. very very baggy though.
    Originally posted by: tradedollarnut
    OK - so your still photography sucks. Video looks great

LOL. I tried to capture the chop in the first image, the luster in the second. But it's hard to capture cartwheel in a still image. At least for me it is image
    --Severian the Lame
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin does look better in the video than in the original pictures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file