Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does this stuff work?

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
I saw a coin listed with a major dealer that I was interested in. The coin seemed very reasonable for the price but I couldn't find it on the dealer's site (I saw it first on collectors.com) So I called the dealer to see if it was available. I got a call back from a representative who told me it was a great coin. I asked if it was available at that price and he said he needed to confirm. He got back to me that it was sold a couple weeks ago---I sort of figured because I thought it was too good to be true.

The rep asked me what I collected and I told him. He wanted to know if I would buy some other coins like that one and I told him to email what they have and I would be happy to look. At this point, remember I had just called to inquiry about the one coin.

The dealer emailed coins that were in the series I collect and outside. I reiterated that I was not interested in the coins outside. Again, later he tried to sell me on some coins simply because they had CC mint marks---but not in the series I collect.

Then he told me the coins he emailed were very rare and that they only had them in their inventory a couple of times over the last 15 years. The coins were common date coins in very good condition---very nice coins but not rare. I could buy the same coin in that grade every week for the next year. He finished his message with---which coins are you buying?

I politely told him that I really was looking for some of the rarer dates and not interested in high end common dates that were pricey. He then told me he would look out for those coins but when he found them they would probably only last for a few minutes---if that much.

As I said earlier, this dealer has some nice coins. And the owner/principal is very knowledgable--but I cant see myself ever buying a coin from this guy for the very reason that he claimed coins were very rare that quite frankly aren't and more importantly telling me I had a few minutes to decide the next time a coin came up. It made me sorry, I called and inquired about the one coin and then was polite and told the guy what I collected. They lost me as customer---does this stuff really work with other people?

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only on car lots.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he offer you the rustproofing or the extended warranty?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Works a lot, I'm sure. Just ask the TV coin huksters.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was once "cold called" by a large bullion dealer. I have no idea how they got my number, but it was clear that he knew I had bought "coins" at some time in the past from somewhere.

Same type of treatment. "Here's what I have, but you need to act fast....well, what DO you collect....etc."

After a moment or two of being polite...and that not working at all....I told him in no uncertain terms to NOT call me back, and I wasn't interested now, nor would I be interested in the future. Guess that worked, because he never called back.

It must work sometimes, or there wouldn't be people trying it!

I just get the impression that such tactics only work on the fringes of the collecting hobby. Novices, bullion buyers, or people looking for bargains. I doubt anyone who posts here would accept a sight-unseen coin, even if it was "rare".
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they thought they got ahold of a what's called in the industry "a real live one." If this was a fairly expensive coin I am sure they were going to make an effort to get your business on some other item. Then a rep would call you periodically to service your account / gauge interest.

just block them on your I phone.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regrettably, it does work. About 10 years ago I handled a case for a guy with a small inheritance who started buying bullion from a large, national company--gets a call from said company...you should get into rare coins..here's one...70k later he has a coin...then a dispute over what was actually bought and sold...long story, but we got it reversed. I still cannot fathom spending that kind of money from a phone solicitation or without sufficient knowledge but it happens all the time.

Tom

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other thing he did that really rubbed me the wrong way. He called me three times on the same day. I did not respond since I was at the doctors. Later I emailed him back and he made some type of comment that next time I should take his call. Geez......
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hook meet line & sinker. Many fish bite if the bait is good. Its a numbers game as in say for every 20 that get annoyed and tell him to kick rocks, there's 1 that bites. Some small fish, some big. That's why its called fishing. Just pass and forget about the loss leader deal you saw that was the "bait"
    The more you VAM..
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gazes

One other thing he did that really rubbed me the wrong way. He called me three times on the same day. I did not respond since I was at the doctors. Later I emailed him back and he made some type of comment that next time I should take his call. Geez......

I think I might have told him to go **** himself.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Avatar CascadeChris
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hard sell typically evokes more negative than positive emotions. I never quite understood it. If you are serious about make a purchase, there is no need for it. And if you are not serious, it is more likely to blow it than lead to a transaction.

In the end, I think most people make their decision based on the quality of the product, whether it be a coin, a suit, or a car, rather than the sales pitch. But I guess the hard sell works some times.

I bet the 'cold calling' is mostly effective with people who have early dementia or are of limited intellect, and it is cruel to take such advantage of these folks.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar

Nice Avatar CascadeChris

Thanks. It was done by a friend that goes by Messydesk here. Once I figure out how to post pics and .gifs I'll create a thread to show the coin off. Its an AMAZING morgan
    The more you VAM..
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was receiving calls from a national house (not mentioning names) selling (and/or wanting to buy mine) gold coins....and it became quite annoying. I finally made it clear that I did not want their business in either direction...VERY clear... and the calls stopped. Cheers, RickO
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar
    Nice Avatar CascadeChris

Yes, very cool 'cartwheel'......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file