Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what am I missing here? MS 64?

this

is this a legit slab? the coin is not a 64 to my eye (but I'm not a grading expert). Enlighten me.

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you, definitely not a 64.

When I look on NGC website it doesn't look like the same coin to me. The NGC photo has much more detail in the wings.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely NOT...in my opinion.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the same coin. The big spot above Liberty's head confirms it. Just horrible photos.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Just horrible photos.

The muddiest and least detailed 64 I've ever seen. I don't think the future buyer will be re-submitting for an upgrade.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks 30 to me.
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a crappy picture with toning that makes it look worn from that angle. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to NGC who saw the coin in hand vs. a crappy picture online.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Same/correct coin. Awful photos.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 64, and would be higher if it was not for the ugly factor.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn thing look AU. Must be an awful strike.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no way would i own that. thats a joke.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not want it.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would not want to own the seller's photos. Would have no problem with owning the photos from ATS.

As far as the coin, I'd love to see it. It looks pretty well-struck and decently lustrous from the cert photos.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were so many of this year and mintmark struck(most poorly) that with a little cherrypicking one could pick up one of the better struck coins than this one. Most likely will be hard to sell at this price level. PCGS has recently dropped the value of this coin in this grade and it may fall even lower. It will be a shame for collectors with a truly well struck specimen to have to deal with falling prices for this grade and date coin. So many buy today by the grade and holder and not the individual coin.The poorest photography as I have seen. Will not sell for $70 in my opinion.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problem with it as your typical generic graded MS64 Morgan. These trade sight-unseen. This one has some deeper orig dusky toning. Quite normal. They all can't be blast white fresh out of an original bag.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NGC coin images show much better luster and detail than the seller's photos.

Accurately graded imho.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Looks 64, and would be higher if it was not for the ugly factor.

I agree
  • Options
    woogloutwooglout Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    If that doesn't open one's eyes to how important photography is with coins nowadays, I don't know what will.

That is unreal!
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks accurately graded from the NGC photos, and the exact type of coin that the Bluesheet and sight-unseen trading were designed to handle.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC label is not centered?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The differences in photography make it look like two different coins...radically different...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mr1874

NGC label is not centered?

They haven't been for some time
  • Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    It is amazing how bad those first pictures are. But the coin is nice. Lustrous, wholesomely original, nice peripheral toning. Grade looks spot on
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horrendous photos. The coin appears legit.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    anyone else surprised that it hasn't sold for $70 if the consensus is that it is accurately graded and a legit cert number? Have Morgans fallen that far in value?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Onedollarnohollar

anyone else surprised that it hasn't sold for $70 if the consensus is that it is accurately graded and a legit cert number? Have Morgans fallen that far in value?

I wouldn't buy that ugly thing at all. PCGS graded 64's are selling for less than $70 all day long. Some for less than $60.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file