guess the grade on this one buffalo nickel fans

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't go over MS65 with those spots.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a hammered strike even for a proof. Spots would knock it down a bit for me as well. I'll wag a PF66.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't that be an impaired proof?
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    PF63 at best
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    PR62
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

No one has taken PR 64 - so that's my guess.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch it with the spots.
    They look like they're eating the surface.

Yes, I agree, it's hammered !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '64 was my first impression... will stick with that. Cheers, RickO
  • PF-61
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to go with PF66. I've seen that grade before for well-struck, relatively mark free but hazy proofs. Like others, I'm curious to see if it was net graded due to the spots.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

pf65

conservation wouldn't hurt here.

not optimistic about the spots, specially the obv one.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is a proof-66.
    thanks for everyones input
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    my problem with this coin is that your eyes go right to the problem area on both sides.
    not a 66 in my opinion.
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    my problem with this coin is that your eyes go right to the problem area on both sides.
    not a 66 in my opinion.

compare with the following proof-64 which has some hairlines on the cheek. i like this coin better than the 66

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600.ahg_zpsf0ck9eip.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/buffnixx/media/s-l1600.nhgf_zpsr2ajtapr.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BUFFNIXX
    not a 66 in my opinion.

I agree with those that graded it a 64 (max.) because of the spots. But is possible that those spots may have developed in the slab post grading.

OINK

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely would take the 64 with hairlines over the spotted 66. Shame about the spots. They appear to be very old and encrusted into the all-over original and undipped surfaces. Such is life, it was a gem when created but early on it met with some moisture.
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pf65. The color and spots look strange. In fact, the spot on the obverse looks like corrosion. I'm surprised it graded.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CommemKing
    Pf65. The color and spots look strange. In fact, the spot on the obverse looks like corrosion. I'm surprised it graded.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pf 62
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with the dusky/cloudy/orig surfaces on the 66 I'd take that over a dipped out 64 with cheek hairlines. Not even close. Yeah, I get that most people prefer blast white vs. originally toned surfaces that pale next to today's hot market of secondary toned rainbows, regardless of how they got there. image

The 2 spots keep it from a 67 grade.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all respect, and i do admire the early modern proofs, the spots ruin it for me.
    It's not something i would grade over PR61.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problems except for 2 spots.....I'll go 65+
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    I do love the originality aspect roadrunner points out -- note how it "looks funny" (because not many remain unmessed with is why) -- but those spots! Well, maybe in hand they wouldn't bother me as much. image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P66?? Wow - glad I didn't embaress myself with a guess.......
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

Even with the dusky/cloudy/orig surfaces on the 66 I'd take that over a dipped out 64 with cheek hairlines. Not even close. Yeah, I get that most people prefer blast white vs. originally toned surfaces that pale next to today's hot market of secondary toned rainbows, regardless of how they got there. image

The 2 spots keep it from a 67 grade.

I agree . . .

HH

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file