Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In New Jersey? There are rare coins EVERYWHERE

Record Player Find

AND

Crawl Space

WOW!

First off anytime somebody "finds" a coin collection it should send up major red flags especially if they are putting them for sale "as-is".

Yet if you look at these 2 auctions, just a few months apart, from 2 different established accounts you see tons of similarities:

A) Both found by random non-collector
B) Both had some other people look at them who told them there was rare, valuable coins.
C) Pictures of the collections very similar in how they are presented.
D) Near IDENTICAL manners in writing followed by the EXACT same style. They post the "story" with edits every few days with "updates" to tease more rare coins in there structured as sort of long-winded paragrahs. "Oh here is a list of some Carson City Morgans"
E) Neither shows any interest in actually getting the rare coins directly pictured or looked at.
F) Both from New Jersey

This second listing got me a good laugh but it just struck me as deja vu and started digging and found this first listing in the "record player" and immediately noticed it is clearly the same scam artist.

What is funny is this second listing says BEFORE he ships he will inventory the collection.........yet says multiple times he quote does not "have time" to go through the collection. Ha ha. What?

The second auction has a brand new account with zero feedback as the winner. I am HOPING it was a collector who created a throw-away account to block this sale.

I have plans....sometimes

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... Yeah, you're right... similar vacation story and all. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh, the bank wrapped roll of 1916-D dimes at the end of the "Record Player" hoard listing is too much. Hilarious, if it weren't so sleazy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    planonitplanonit Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Oh, the bank wrapped roll of 1916-D dimes at the end of the "Record Player" hoard listing is too much. Hilarious, if it weren't so sleazy.

That was desperation. I rolled my eyes when I saw that last "update." He has clearly evolved his BS in this 2nd listing because he did not do anything so stupid. The 2nd listing he posted more pictures and just gave specific examples. Anybody in that 1st auction should of lost their last iota of faith this was not a scam when he pulled the "Is this a roll of 1916-d Mercs?? IDK!!"
    I have plans....sometimes
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bids on that auction look to be all shills. They don't know anything about coins, but decided they'd pull the "bank wrapped" roll of 1916 dimes aside for their "children."...lol. They/she probably don't even have kids.

The vacation trips to Mexico from NJ must be fun. Each one of these auctions can fund another vacation.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Originally posted by: planonit

Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

That was desperation. I rolled my eyes when I saw that last "update." He has clearly evolved his BS in this 2nd listing because he did not do anything so stupid. The 2nd listing he posted more pictures and just gave specific examples. Anybody in that 1st auction should of lost their last iota of faith this was not a scam when he pulled the "Is this a roll of 1916-d Mercs?? IDK!!"

$3,900 for the "Record Player" scam.

$8,100 for the "Crawl Space" scam a few weeks later.

He (for it is probably a "he" and not some lady as indicated by the husband reference in one description) is certainly upping his game, if there are even any real bidders/victims/suckers mixed in with the shills.

The 1916-D dime roll bait reference probably backfired and tripped more than a few people's BS detectors into the maximum red zone.

I'd love to read ALL the questions and messages he got. I'll bet some were entertaining.

Probably sold the first lot (at least) to a shill- in other words- himself. That's how the first account still has untouched feedback.

I can only hope eBay stuck him with the FVFs.

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I noticed shill bidder with 61 feedbacks won the record player and "almost" won the crawlspace auction-LOL!!!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the seller will ever get paid.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to SpoofBay. BTW - the sad sack drones have crashed the site for at least 4 HOURS and counting today. It just keeps getting better all the time. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who didn't scroll down to the bottom of the Victrola auction.......LOL

On Jul-28-16 at 07:30:26 PDT, seller added the following information:

Because this auction has really become something we never thought possible we are going to add back in the one item we took out to give our children. I'm quoting our coin friend here "an original bank sealed roll of Mercury dimes with a 1916 on one side and D mint mark on the other". We had no idea about the potential value, but it was one neatly packaged item so we decided to take that one thing out and list the rest. It will be included now. Our friend says "unlike 98% of bank rolls for sale on ebay, this one is legit". Now no more bidding!!! For Petes sake $1500 is too much already!! :-)

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the "coin jar" scam on steroids!! People are just so stupid, they WANT to believe this crap.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welllllll......let me tell you......I'm in New Jersey and personally seen a hoard of depression era currency, gold coins and bags of silver coins. As found, by a friend of a friend rehabbing a c. 1870 house about 20 years ago. Totally true and legit. Never underestimate what happens in New Jersey!! The hoard was underneath attic floorboards that were nailed down
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that they were said to be found under a house a really old house, yet contained a Whitman folder that shows no damage or wear as well as 1964 coins..

Red flags should be flying in every direction on this scam.
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    "Here is my last "revision". I really had no idea the type of and amount of questions this auction would bring. I have been on vacation in Mexico all week and will return tomorrow. Had I known there would be so many questions I would have waited to list these coins. I apologize for any inconvenience of vagueness as a result of my ignorance and/or my being away. I will say a few things. There are many more coins in the lot than was able to be included in the pictures. The main picture simply shows the variation in the types of coins. There are many more coins than shown. I simply ran out of picture slots to show them. There is over 600 coins and I think I was able to show half of that and that doesn't even account for the rolls of coins which makes it closer to 900 I think. That being said, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not bid unless you are ok with that fact. I guess you are taking a chance that whatever you pay will equal at least the value of all the coins and I am taking a chance that there isn't a $20,000 coin in there by not taking the time to go through all of them with a professional (as at least 50 people have told me to do......cancel the auction and have a professional coin person appraise the set). I simply don't have the time. I will catalogue all of the coins before they get shipped to protect myself, but that will just be via pictures and by count. Good luck and I hope that this works out for everyone."

??? He does not have time to catalogue them before the auction but he does have time to catalogue them after the auction is over??. Yea, yea that makes sense, doesn't it?

If the 1858 Liberty seated dollar is real then the buyer got a bargain. I don't know why he photographed those three coins in mirror mode?. If I would have seen this auction earlier I would have drove to his bank or house to see them in person. it is funny how these people are always on "vacation" until the auction is over.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ambro51

Welllllll......let me tell you......I'm in New Jersey and personally seen a hoard of depression era currency, gold coins and bags of silver coins. As found, by a friend of a friend rehabbing a c. 1870 house about 20 years ago. Totally true and legit. Never underestimate what happens in New Jersey!! The hoard was underneath attic floorboards that were nailed down

Oh, there is no doubt that REAL hoards DO get found all the time, and the Northeast is prime territory for such. That fact is what lends the BS stories that tiny element of credibility.

(When the scammer doesn't tip his hand too far by throwing in a free roll of "bank wrapped 1916-D Mercury dimes", of course. I'm surprised he didn't go for an 1804 dollar or 1913 V-nick.)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bob1951
    "Here is my last "revision". I really had no idea the type of and amount of questions this auction would bring. I have been on vacation in Mexico all week and will return tomorrow. Had I known there would be so many questions I would have waited to list these coins. I apologize for any inconvenience of vagueness as a result of my ignorance and/or my being away. I will say a few things. There are many more coins in the lot than was able to be included in the pictures. The main picture simply shows the variation in the types of coins. There are many more coins than shown. I simply ran out of picture slots to show them. There is over 600 coins and I think I was able to show half of that and that doesn't even account for the rolls of coins which makes it closer to 900 I think. That being said, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not bid unless you are ok with that fact. I guess you are taking a chance that whatever you pay will equal at least the value of all the coins and I am taking a chance that there isn't a $20,000 coin in there by not taking the time to go through all of them with a professional (as at least 50 people have told me to do......cancel the auction and have a professional coin person appraise the set). I simply don't have the time. I will catalogue all of the coins before they get shipped to protect myself, but that will just be via pictures and by count. Good luck and I hope that this works out for everyone."

??? He does not have time to catalogue them before the auction but he does have time to catalogue them after the auction is over??. Yea, yea that makes sense, doesn't it?

If the 1858 Liberty seated dollar is real then the buyer got a bargain. I don't know why he photographed those three coins in mirror mode?. If I would have seen this auction earlier I would have drove to his bank or house to see them in person. it is funny how these people are always on "vacation" until the auction is over.

Those three coins are half dollars. The 1858 half dollar is much more common than an 1858 silver dollar.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CC Morgan Dollar in the "Victrola" auction (only the reverse side is shown) appears to be a modern counterfeit.

And the CC Trade Dollar in the "Crawl Space" auction (again, only the reverse side is shown) appears to be a modern counterfeit as well.

Both auctions are very carefully staged.

• Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    This is so sad/messed up. I just can't believe people would actually do this. I can't imagine the type of person it would take to do this.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... so clearly fraudulent.... sure hope those final bids were shill bids...otherwise, a couple of people just got super scammed...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file