Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A joke only someone who is both a US coin AND camera geek can appreciate

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am decidedly NOT a camera geek, but I should be graduating to my first dSLR soon.

Have been discussing this with friend Michael S (aka "Aethelred" on the forums) via text messages.

Michael:

In due time you might want to look into a Canon 18-55 zoom lens.

Me:

18-55, huh?

Do those come with slanting 5s or upright 5s?

Michael:

If it comes with a slanted 5 it is a knockoff from Angola.

Me:

Or Christian Gobrecht's personal daguerreotype lens.

Yeah, I know- a real knee-slapper.

Still, if you get it, and have a coin appropriate to the joke, feel free to post it. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorites...not really a joke, but it is humorous...to me at least.

[after Allie swallows a quarter]

Grandpa: Relax. Kids swallow quarters all the time.

Melanie: Really?

Grandpa: Sure. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel, then you can start worrying.

Grumpier Old Men (1995)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

One of my favorites...not really a joke, but it is humorous...to me at least.

[after Allie swallows a quarter]

Grandpa: Relax. Kids swallow quarters all the time.

Melanie: Really?

Grandpa: Sure. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel, then you can start worrying.

Grumpier Old Men (1995)

That reminds me of a family story.

My maternal grandfather was a medical doctor.

One day (probably in the 1950s or so), a frantic mother called him because Little Junior had swallowed a penny.

Granddaddy was not terribly perturbed, and essentially told the lady "this too shall pass", so to speak.

Dr. Robertson:

"Relax. Kids swallow pennies all the time."

Frantic mom:

ENGLISH pennies?!?

For all I know, this could've taken place in the Cayman Islands, where Granddaddy had property. Needless to say, the predecimal British pennies of the era, which were the diameter of a US half dollar, were a bit more to swallow.

Since this tale came down to me through family lore and its origins are shrouded in the mists of time, I do not know how the rest of it went.

Did Granddaddy have to intervene, or did Little Junior poop out two halfpennies or four farthings all on his own?

We will never know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, and noticing the similarities of the "Grumpy Old Men" script to our family legend, I wonder if the latter is not an apocryphal story. Maybe Frantic Mom and Little Junior never existed. It would certainly have been within character for Granddaddy to have pulled our legs with such a tale. He was a notorious prankster, as another story about a cadaver earlobe ending up in the wrong place demonstrated...

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It reminds me of Steve Martin's routine in the 80's

“Ok, I don’t like to gear my material to the audience but I’d like to make an exception because I was told that there is a convention of plumbers in San Francisco this week – I understand about 30 of them came down to the show tonight – so before I came out I worked-up a joke especially for the plumbers. Those of you who aren’t plumbers probably won’t get this and won’t think it’s funny, but I think those of you who are plumbers will really enjoy this…

“This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job and he started working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7? gangly wrench. Just then, this little apprentice leaned over and said, “You can’t work on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7? wrench.” Well this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, and he reads to him and says, “The Langstrom 7? wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.” Just then, the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket not socket!”

[silence]

“Were these plumbers supposed to be here this show…?”
  • Options
    Maybe a large cent person will smile at the slanted 5's Gobrecht reference, anyway.

Then again, with some of my jokes about the EAC in a recent thread, the large cent people have probably added me to their hit list.

Sprocket, not socket. I'll have to remember that.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jokes intended for a specific audience frequently fail on those not familiar with the particular area.....one of my favorites was the Accountants joke....'Two plus two is five'....and they laughed and laughed.......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Jokes intended for a specific audience frequently fail on those not familiar with the particular area...

And sometimes they even fall flat with those who ARE familiar with the particular area. image

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to the op and everyone who contributed to this thread. Dumb jokes maybe but every one made me smile. Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file