Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dale Larsen's Peace Dollars

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
We had the pleasure to handle Dale's collection of toned peace dollars recently - many of which he acquired 10-20 years ago. I wanted to post my favorite from his collection - the 1924-P. I'm not sure I've seen another 1924-P like this. And the final bid...50 times what a generic untoned coin sells for.

Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was giggling as this went up and up and up..

If the same person bought all of these, they spent *~12k on a handful of common date Peace dollars. image
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the toning on that one. image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is crazy money for some nice tone, but then again Peace Dollars normally don't tone like the Morgan Dollars did/do.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really love Peace dollars and I like this 1924 quite a bit.

I also just can't seem to be able to ignore the coin's technical grade when considering what I'd be willing to pay for it. I have no problem with those who enjoy collecting these and paying what they're bringing, but it's not a market I'm comfortable playing in.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dale has great coins and is a great dude

Let me know when he parts with some of his other coins please!

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 times generic for that?

No comment.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a chance to see a few of them at the ANA - very nice collection!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed dealing with Dale when he was at SB, fair and reasonable. I heard he was one time a collector, learned the hobby and got smart. "The collector's friend".
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth
    50 times generic for that?

No comment.

This.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

mark

Some of Dale's "toner" CC dollars went off last night on GC. A very nice group of 8-10 coins from 1881 cc to 1885 cc. Most of them 65 to 66+. They fetched decent prices....more than I could pay. Most or all of them were CAC'd. Comparing them to what plain out white coins in the same grades brought, I think most of these were decent buys.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

mark

Some of Dale's "toner" CC dollars went off last night on GC. A very nice group of 8-10 coins from 1881 cc to 1885 cc. Most of them 65 to 66+. They fetched decent prices....more than I could pay. Most or all of them were CAC'd. Comparing them to what plain out white coins in the same grades brought, I think most of these were decent buys.

I'm thinking another denomination ; )

M

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing that 1924 Peace dollar the last time it sold. I had never seen a Peace Dollar with toning like that before, so I had kept a copy of the auction picture.

I just looked through my photo database and found it, and see that exact coin was sold 14 years ago, and it was in an NGC holder at that time, graded MS64. As I recall, it brought a ton of money for what it was at the time.
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, fascinating toning on that one. I am a big fan of the Peace dollar series as well though I don't have a single one with toning approaching anything near that. Those gold, pink, purple, and teal are killer.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow.......Yikes........
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is awesome!
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

mark

I had the privelege of visiting with Dale at his house Mark when I was at the ANA
    we went thru a double row box of some amazing coins, which I think will be coming to market.
    Dale picked me up at the airport, dropped me at my friends house and then picked me up every day and dropped me back each night. He also dropped me at the airport on the last night. All this while maning a table all day each day I was there.
    Thats the kind of person Dale is!!

• Options
    Originally posted by: TONEDDOLLARS

mark

I had the privelege of visiting with Dale at his house Mark when I was at the ANA

we went thru a double row box of some amazing coins, which I think will be coming to market.

Dale picked me up at the airport, dropped me at my friends house and then picked me up every day and dropped me back each night. He also dropped me at the airport on the last night. All this while maning a table all day each day I was there.

Thats the kind of person Dale is!!

That's awesome Jack! I got the deluxe tour at his last gig. The best part was going through his personal collection. We were both working on a similar project and it was nice to measure exactly where I was at. He has great stuff.

Personally I think looking at the price realized as 50x book is a mistake. I also think saying this is a common is a mistake. There is nothing common about beautifully toned Peace dollars period. They are just not out there. You are paying for "aesthetic" rarity and there are a lot of people who collect in this realm.

mark

• Options

The reality is that there are a lot of toned Peace dollars out there, just not many in a PCGS slab. I could cure Cancer faster that I could get a coin like that in a holder these days. Some did get in back then.
  • Options
    Yah but not too many they look like that

M
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dale also had an outstanding group of chopmarked Trade Dollars that sold on GC last night. Really high quality, with great eye appeal.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

The reality is that there are a lot of toned Peace dollars out there, just not many in a PCGS slab. I could cure Cancer faster that I could get a coin like that in a holder these days. Some did get in back then.

So...are you saying that CAC stickered the coin in question without giving any consideration to the nature of the toning, and gave it a free pass?

Based on the generation of the holder, PCGS would have graded the piece sometime prior to February of 2002. CAC wasn't around back then to just rubber stamp PCGS' slabs, so CAC must have come to their own opinion more than 5 years later!

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah but not too many they look like that

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Originally posted by: cardinal

Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

So...are you saying that CAC stickered the coin in question without giving any consideration to the nature of the toning, and gave it a free pass?

Based on the generation of the holder, PCGS would have graded the piece sometime prior to February of 2002. CAC wasn't around back then to just rubber stamp PCGS' slabs, so CAC must have come to their own opinion more than 5 years later!

I have albums full of toned Peace dollars and most will not make it into a holder today. They are all natural, some put in there 40 years ago. I bought them from a lifelong dealer/collector, his own private stash. He told me he didn't sleep for a week after trading/selling them to me. I had some proof Morgans he really wanted and he took my one and only offer. I think I have 200 or so. I have tried a few over the years and every once in awhile one makes it, but usually not. If you cracked the above coin, even though I think it is natural, it would not go back in a holder. No way!

UPDATE: A few of the less wild ones that came from those albums made it via NGC, but the real crazy toners in there.......not a chance.

• Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Our friend Ronyahski and I scooped up a number of Dale's toned Lincolns a couple
    Months back, I guess, when he was cleaning out his Lincoln boxes.
    I also have Dale to thank for my avatar which he sold to me in a private sale and it is somethings very special.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    I've not seen Dale in quite a long time. I believe the last I saw him was in Long Beach, just prior to Mike DeFalco's passing. Been to long, he's a great guy!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lablover

I've not seen Dale in quite a long time. I believe the last I saw him was in Long Beach, just prior to Mike DeFalco's passing. Been to long, he's a great guy!!!

I miss Mike. I used to live on his site

mark

• Options
    I miss Mike. I used to live on his site

Me too!!! The first coin (Morgan) I ever bought came from Mike. He helped guide me in the early years of my collecting. Mike had a great eye and a love of color.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the premiums for tarnish incredible...just amazes me more and more everyday. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file