Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this Bust Half from the Hamilton collection

Comments

• Options
    hopefully the link works, I can't figure out how to get the pictures to post

LOT #7737

Sold for: $2,467.50

1835 50C AU58 PCGS. CAC. PCGS Population (137/166). NGC Census: (137/174). Mintage: 5,352,006. CDN Wsl. Price for problem f...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had that one in my watch list until the price blew up!
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: erwindoc

Same here.

I liked it. Just not at that price.

• Options
    Some of the prices for green CAC Au58's seem high. Do people think they are going to upgrade to MS or why did they sell for so much? This one I thought was one of the nicer ones but that is MS63 money.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: travelingman

Some of the prices for green CAC Au58's seem high. Do people think they are going to upgrade to MS or why did they sell for so much? This one I thought was one of the nicer ones but that is MS63 money.

Pretty typical for nice 58's in a high demand series!

• Options

They did a good job hyping the Hamilton Collection and it brought a lot of money out. I would guess that some of the coins will not find the same prices once they are put back up for auction individually.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaleElf

They did a good job hyping the Hamilton Collection and it brought a lot of money out. I would guess that some of the coins will not find the same prices once they are put back up for auction individually.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the collection in person at ANA. The bust halves were fabulous. When I was actively seeking bust halves in choice AU condition, I would often go months to a year before finding acceptable coins. There were at least 15 AU graded halves in that set that would have made the cut for my collection. That is phenomenal.

Some of the coins did go for stupid money (included a reeded edge half that I bought), but some coins, like many of the ones that he had in his set are nice ones to be buried with.

This coin I have no notes on. I vaguely remember it being nice, but not noteworthy amongst many exceptional coins. If it stood on its own, it probably would have been among the nicest in the auction, but was average for the hamilton collection.

John
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a wonderful coin for a run of the mill late '30s die marriage that sold for twice its real value because of the Hamilton excitement.

Lance.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see the collection in person, but it appears there were lots of coins in this collection that were really nice coins for the grade (most in old holders with stickers) that brought incredibly strong prices (which shouldn't be that surprising). What was surprising to me was that a lot of the coins had what appeared to be very original, but somewhat dark surfaces and still brought those prices. Personally, I kind of like this look, but I've found coins with this look that I've sold to be tough sells, so I was surprised at the prices they brought.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust Half dollars were mostly stored in banks to back the currency, similar to the role of the Morgan dollars in the 1880's. However, rather than being stored in bags, the were stored in boxes, neatly stacked. That is why nearly all Bust Half dollars show compression marks on the high points. It looks like wear and truthfully should be graded as wear, but more and more bust collectors are ignoring them as a fact of life for this issue. A few bidders must have seen a MS63 coin rather than an AU. I grade it Gem AU (9: 3,3,3) Nothing special on the strike or die factor and given the scratches, too many marks for anything better than a 3 on the Planchet factor. Certainly AU, but a Gem AU.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but it sure deserved better pictures than the ones in the Heritage auction.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not doing much for me.
  • Options
    I'd rather own a piece of equipment that could dig a trench around my flower beds. It will make my yard look pretty nice.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: erwindoc

Same here.

I liked it. Just not at that price.

This was my first thought.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    Color is nice but looks to be lacking some luster. I'm not in love
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Au58 is that magical grade for the everyman's registry collection. Add a green CAC sticker and it is even more attractive.

• Options
    Originally posted by: EagleEye

I grade it Gem AU (13: 3,3,3)

Way too confusing.
  • Options

Do you all feel this one was nicer? Was it a "better deal"?
  • Options

Do you all like this one better?

Was it a "better deal"?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but I do not see it making that price on resale....buyer is buried price wise. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Multiple layers of collectibility for the coin the OP posted: AU 58 grade + OGH + CAC sticker + attractive toning + a widely collected series = a very nice formula for generating auction competition.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage

AU58 Grren CAC with color that sold for $2500

If the same coin were in a MS62/63 holder I suspect many people would say it was too dark or luster muted to ever be truly eye appealing. In a 58 CAC holder it appears none of that matters. Looks like a run of the mill bust half to me though in a technical 58 grade.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised to see a common 1830s date go for such strong money. For that price, I think the coin must have drop-dead, astounding eye appeal in person that did not quite show up in the photos.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it Gem AU (13: 3,3,3) Nothing special on the strike or die factor and given the scratches, too many marks for anything better than a 3 on the Planchet factor. Certainly AU, but a Gem AU.

Shouldn't the "qualifier" be 9?

Lance.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairly attractive for what looks like a darker patina overall.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

I grade it Gem AU (9: 3,3,3)

Way too confusing.

How about Gem AU (9). Is that confusing?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

I grade it Gem AU (13: 3,3,3) Nothing special on the strike or die factor and given the scratches, too many marks for anything better than a 3 on the Planchet factor. Certainly AU, but a Gem AU.

Shouldn't the "qualifier" be 9?

Lance.

Sharp eye there, Lance. I missed it too! I fixed the post, thanks.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I like the toning and I definitely believe it's market acceptable, I have always thought this particular 'look' (green color and lack of luster) is a professionally done artificially toned coin that was once white and most likely lacking luster from a few too many dips.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Nice coin, but it sure deserved better pictures than the ones in the Heritage auction.

How much more than the closing price do you believe this one would have sold for with better photos?

peacockcoins

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling the nice original looking surfaces drove the price...

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think of this Bust Half

Personally I don't care for these late dates/bullion. The coin probably looks OK. I'd like to believe it's closing price has to do with the originality the previous poster mentioned. I'm sure it does some. But I believe it's the all mighty AU-58 grade (which I don't buy anymore) the OGH L@@K, and the sticker thing.

The current market is completely nuts over this combination.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    The coins were very nice overall in this collection. I have seen coins in MS63 holders not as nice as many of these AU58 coins. Many were also purchased out of major sales raw as MS63's but most of those were in NGC holders. Some coins were clearly UNC's that got the lightest of rubs where they could be in UNC holders without a second look as they are original and never cleaned or doctored coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file