Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Liberty medals. Inconsistency or mint screwup?

I just got in my American Liberty medals and they look amazing. One thing I noticed is that on the san francisco mint's medal, the frosting on the reverse of the coin is uneven. It seems to be more frosted on the head and tail feathers of the eagle compared to the rest of the body whereas the west point mint medal is the same consistent white frosting. Can anyone else shed some light on this?

San Francisco medal

West Point medal

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know....I kind of like the "two-toned" frost on the SF medal. Seems like it COULD be a design choice....that is,,if they didn't do it differently at the two mints.

Could be the difference between a brand new die vs. a die that had been refurbished/resurfaced for further use? (No idea which is which, however).
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    At least they don't have that grainy textured look you have on the regular proof coins.

Maybe the mint will accidentally do a pattern die and mess with the feathers like the cheerio sac.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am in the dark with this release. You're the authority on it , in hand. Something may follow that warrants further numismatic study and analysis.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is certainly a visibly noticeable difference in the two....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checking mine the S has a definite frosted head and tail feathers and a less frosted body, almost shiny. The W has a consistent frost head to tail. I'm liking the two tone of the S frost. The eagle pops with the contrast.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone get one of the S mints that have a fully frosted eagle? Or perhaps all of the S mints are the contrasted frost effect....
    ----- kj
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my S medals does have more frost than the other, I'm thinking maybe 2 different dies. These medals are KEEPERS. Nice!

imageimage

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file