Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel Variety Of The Week: 1941-D/D FS-501

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭
1941-D/D FS-501 (RPM-003)

Let me share a share a story about this particular coin. This coin is the first example attributed by PCGS. Us Jefferson aficionados had been looking for this one for years. FUN Show, (maybe 2010 or 2011?) I'm at a table looking through some nickels and one of our Forum Members sits next to me and hands me a coin......BOOM, there it is! Obviously the coin got graded and placed in my set. During a period of lapsed judgement, one of the other Jefferson collectors talked me out of it to complete his set. Letting go of this coin bothered me constantly. Sometime after, I obtained another example that graded MS65FS. I immediately contacted the owner and traded that MS65FS for the prized Member first found MS65. Coin values did not matter, what mattered more was to have that coin back in my set! Lesson learned!

I'm really surprised there are not more examples of this variety hitting the Pops. 1941-D's are plentiful in brilliant, well struck condition with solid full steps. I like the separation in the D's on this example. I'm sure more are out there and I'm going to Cherry the first MS67FS example! Happy hunting!

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat variety Big Dog! And pretty to boot! I'll have to start looking at the 41-D's!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice!!

I hit pay-dirt the other day. I was going through some albums that have backed up in the shop and one was a circ/BU Jefferson Nickel set in an old blue Whitman album. separating the coins for resale and checking for varieties I found a nice 1943/2-P that probably grades AU55-58 with Full Steps to boot. it's actually the first one I've found and the highest grade my boss said he's found.

stuff is still out there if you look.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    nice!!

I hit pay-dirt the other day. I was going through some albums that have backed up in the shop and one was a circ/BU Jefferson Nickel set in an old blue Whitman album. separating the coins for resale and checking for varieties I found a nice 1943/2-P that probably grades AU55-58 with Full Steps to boot. it's actually the first one I've found and the highest grade my boss said he's found.

stuff is still out there if you look.

That is a neat find!
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive example of a tough variety.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find....I agree with Al, there are still treasures to be found....Cheers, RickO
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to be reunited........Congrats...........FWIW......I think that should be a 66 image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niiice!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a very cool RPM! Keep 'em coming BigDog!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file