Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: 2ND ANNNIVERSARY OF MIKE KELLEY'S DEATH-Charity Auction #2-Post your Lot Donations Here - STARTS

All,

We are approaching the 2nd anniversary of the death of our friend Mike Kelley.

For those new to the community, Mike was one of the generous members here who is no longer with us. He gave of his time, and showed many in this community how, through collecting, deep friendships could be formed. His wife Michelle passed away (breast cancer), leaving Mike with 3 young children to care for. A few years later Mike ran into serious health problems and ultimately passed away too, leaving the kids in the care of his Mother and her husband.

Members of our community were generous and many donated collectibles to a board-based auction. Even PSA contributed to the effort (Mike and his story was featured in SMR about how a message board became a family prior to his passing, so he was known personally to PSA...see page 23 of this edition of SMR

We ended-up raising quite a few thousand dollars which were paid into a fund raising page at youcaring.com. It helped Mike's mom renovate her small home to better accommodate 3 young kids.

From what I understand they are doing well, health-wise, but things are still a struggle financially. They are now needing help to replace the family vehicle, as the old one is on its last legs.

I was thinking that with the anniversary of Mike's passing coming up could we not do another charity auction to try and help out again? Mike Rothstein (stone193) has agreed to help coordinate it again, and given our past success (and the way card prices have increased) I think we can really make a difference for Mike's kids (and mom) again.

Aiming to get this off the ground sometime around the 25th or 26th of August, closing before Labor Day weekend so that we can get the funds raised to the family ahead of the actual anniversary date.

I'm hoping we can get at least 50 -100 lots (single item or groups of items) donated for the auction.

We'll get a fundraising page set up for the new auction just like the last one.

The plan is to get a SEPARATE auction thread started once we get a reasonable number of items (with pictures) committed. We can then continue to add items onto the bottom of the list for a few days more and close the auction at a fixed date a week-or-so later.

More details will follow shortly...

Thanks in advance for your interest, generosity and compassion for Mike's Kids!!!!

Dave

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited Note:

1) This is a charity auction to support the children of Michelle and Mike Kelley, both of whom passed away in their 30s as a result of health problems. Mike was a valued member of the CU Forum community (forum name: miconelegacy). He was generous with his time, with his support of other members experiencing hardship and in giving to others. The SMR article about Mike and Michelle's fight with her illness can give you a better idea of how special Mike was.

More than anything else, Mike set the example of how we could enjoy collecting together and form string friendships through this CU Forum virtual community. It is a testament to his example that so many members here (and PSA itself) are so quick to contribute to this worthy endeavor.

If you are a newer member or someone who did not get to know Mike while he was with us, you are strongly encouraged to search for some of his old postings, group breaks that he ran, etc. and read the SMR article to get to know about a special man who we lost suddenly and tragically just 2 years ago.

2) Additional donation of lots will be appreciated. Any lots donated after the auction begins will be added on to the catalog at the end (SO CHECK BACK TO SEE IF ANYTHING NEW HAS COME IN). Last time to submit an additional lot is 11PM EDT Sunday August 28.

3) The auction ends at 11PM EDT on September 1 (next Thursday). Payments will be made to an online fundraising page. Once you make a payment, get your receipt and post it to the thread and the donator(s) of the lot(s) you won will get in touch to arrange shipment to you.

I will start with this lot that will be formalized later.

Cal Ripken's book Hothead - autographed and his RC I pulled from a vending box a few years ago.

Mike
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    For those of us who knew Mike, this is still painful. I really miss Mike. And I feel for those beautiful children. No child should have to endure what they are enduring. I hope this fundraiser can help raise enough to get them some decent wheels. Mike, love you, man. For your kids.

I'll toss in a couple of things. I'd like to put reserves on the item to make sure they go for a fair price to benefit these kids. Assuming this is ok with you (it was ok the last time we did this), here's what I'd like to chip in:

81 Topps Montana RC PSA 9. I pulled this from a pack myself a few years ago in a CU rip, and Eric graciously submitted it for me at National. While it has some sentimental value, I can rest easy knowing it will go to help Mike's kids.

69 Reggie Jackson RC PSA 6. This one presents far nicer than the grade. Some of the best centering you'll see on any grade, frankly. Beautiful print and surface--Mike's kind of card. The main issue being the top left corner.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I never met Mike I would like to help out as well - sounds like it is a great cause. Dave - give me a shout via text or PM please and we can discuss which items would be best to donate to help out.

KC
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I am traveling until the weekend again, but I will have several nice items added to the list by the end of the weekend.

Dave
  • Options
    Really nice Dan!

I ran last years auction with Dave's incredible assistance.

IMPORTANT:

Here's the simple rules from last year. The actual "Auction Catalog" and Current Bids will be placed on separate thread - hopefully "locked to the top" by CU.

The Auction will start: Wed. Aug. 24th

and end: Thur. Sep. 1st

AUCTION RULES

1. Donate an item and we'll put it up. We'd appreciate if everyone can get their lots in by Sat. the 27th of Aug.

2. Bid on any item that's currently up - and we'll keep doing updates so we can see who the high bidder is.

3. We will announce the Closing Date/Time and announce the winners by lot number.

4. Some lots may have reserves.

5. When the auction closes - winners will be contacted to pay thru the donation web site - then copy the receipt and PM it to me or Dave and then we will contact the donor to ship your item.

Really simple!

Details will follow of when the auction will be over.

Anyone else want to jump in? Please do.

Thanx for your support.
    Mike
  • Options
    OFFICIAL AUCTION CATALOG

Lot #1: donated by Stone193

Cal Ripken's book Hothead - autographed and his RC I pulled from a vending box a few years ago.

Lot #2: donated by thunderdan

81 Topps Montana RC PSA 9 - opening bid: $900

Lot #3: donated by thunderdan

69T Reggie Jackson RC PSA 6 - opening bid: $300

Lot #4: - donated by KendallCat

Air Jordan Retro IV shoes (size 13) white/cement color way. Retail price is $220 but street value on eBay is from $230-300+. opening bid: $100

Lot #5: donated by BBCEx/Steve Hart

1983 Topps "Michigan Test" Wax Box opening bid: $175

"File copy" - not the box that will be given

Lot #6: donated by addicted2ebay

1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig PSA 1(MK)

Lot #7: donated by jfkheat

1983 Fleer Wax Box - BBCEx

Lot #8: donated by jfkheat

1985 Fleer Wax Box - BBCEx

Lot #9:
    donated by 70ToppsFanatic

Ryan Lot: 1969 Topps Ryan PSA 6.5, 1972 Topps Ryan PSA 5 and Topps 1974 Ryan PSA 8 opening bid: $250

Lot #10: donated by 70ToppsFanatic

1970 Wax Pack: Series 4 PSA 7 VCP $450 opening bid: $350

Lot #11: donated by 70ToppsFanatic

1962 Higher Grade Topps Lot: 50 Musial (SGC 84), 140 Ruth/Gehrig GT (SGC 86), 316 Killebrew IA (SGC 84), 318 Mantle IA (SGC 84), 549 Rigney (SGC 86), 560 Estrada (SGC 88),

579 Schaffer (SGC 88), 597 Rookie Infielders (SGC 86) VCP $395 opening bid: $300

Lot #12: donated by PSA

Baseball Autographs Book

Lot #13: donated by PSA

Baseball Autographs Book

Lot #14: donated by PSA

Baseball Autographs Book

Lot #15: donated by PSA

Baseball Autographs Book

Lot #16: donated by PSA

Baseball Autographs Book

Lot #17: donated by PSA

Baseball Autographs Book

Lot #18: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(758/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #19: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(759/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #20: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(760/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #21: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(761/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #22: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(762/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #23: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(763/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #24: donated by PSA

Lucky 7 Promo Card from the 2016 National (file copy)(764/777) opening bid: $25

Lot #25: donated by maddux69

1970's Lot - 1970 Topps #189 Thurman Munson PSA 4 RC, 1972 O-Pee-Chee #474 Orioles Rookies(Baylor 2nd and Oates) PSA 8, 1974 Topps PSA 9's - #163 Ken Berry, #243 Bob Oliver, #385 Don Gullett plus 1982 Donruss #401 Steve Bedrosian PSA 10 RC

Lot #26: donated by maddux69

Modern Star Lot - 1985 Leaf Kirby Puckett PSA 8 RC, 1991 Topps Desert Shield #7 Ryne Sandberg RB BVG 9, 1991 Red Foley #82 Ryne Sandberg PSA 9, 2000 Pacific Crown Royal #20 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10, 1999 Topps Gallery #19 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10, 1985 Topps Tiffany #665 Don Mattingly PSA 8.5

Mike
  • Options
    edit off.
    Mike
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Will be happy to place a few bids and see what I can round up to help.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Wow. These are amazing gestures. I'm at a loss for words.

I'll start the bidding. $900 on the Montana, I'm in.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Sdub

Wow. These are amazing gestures. I'm at a loss for words.

I'll start the bidding. $900 on the Montana, I'm in.

The auction hasn't started yet - when we do - your bid goes in.

Thanx!

Mike
  • Options
    So tough, so tough. I'll see what I can come up with. Does it have to be sports related?
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: thunderdan

For those of us who knew Mike, this is still painful. I really miss Mike. And I feel for those beautiful children. No child should have to endure what they are enduring. I hope this fundraiser can help raise enough to get them some decent wheels. Mike, love you, man. For your kids.

I'll toss in a couple of things. I'd like to put reserves on the item to make sure they go for a fair price to benefit these kids. Assuming this is ok with you (it was ok the last time we did this), here's what I'd like to chip in:

81 Topps Montana RC PSA 9. I pulled this from a pack myself a few years ago in a CU rip, and Eric graciously submitted it for me at National. While it has some sentimental value, I can rest easy knowing it will go to help Mike's kids.

69 Reggie Jackson RC PSA 6. This one presents far nicer than the grade. Some of the best centering you'll see on any grade, frankly. Beautiful print and surface--Mike's kind of card. The main issue being the top left corner.

The is nice jackson. You are right on that.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 3BoyzTrading
    So tough, so tough. I'll see what I can come up with. Does it have to be sports related?

No it does not, but remember the audience here at the forum. Sports-related will probably have a greater chance of being bid-up because there are more sports-interested people here than anything else. But if you have something else in mind don't let one person's (my) thoughts dissuade you. The goal is to continue helping a family that really needs it. Anything that contributes toward that goal is fine.

Dave
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 3BoyzTrading

Not really - if you think someone would be interested? Fire away.

And thanx!

Mike
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy to help. My donation:

• Options
    Originally posted by: addicted2ebay

Happy to help. My donation:

Thank you Chris!

Very generous.

Mike
  • Options
    Ok,

I'm adding 3 lots for this (pictures will be added):

- The Ryan Lot: 1969 Topps Ryan PSA 6.5, 1972 Topps Ryan PSA 5 and Topps 1974 Ryan PSA 8 VCP $250

- The 1970 Wax Pack: Series 4 PSA 7 VCP $400

- 1962 Higher Grade Topps Lot: 50 Musial (SGC 84), 140 Ruth/Gehrig GT (SGC 86), 316 Killebrew IA (SGC 84), 318 Mantle IA (SGC 84), 549 Rigney (SGC 86), 560 Estrada (SGC 88),
    579 Schaffer (SGC 88), 597 Rookie Infielders (SGC 86) VCP $395

And if I can find it there could be another SGC 92 star added to the 1962 lot

Dave
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add two lots to the list, 1983 Fleer Baseball wax box and 1985 Fleer Baseball wax box. Both are BBCE wrapped. I'll be out of town for a week or so. I'll look to see what else I can add when I get back home.

James

• Options
    Hiya James

Thanx buddy - very generous.
    Mike
  • Options
    Some really nice lots Dave.

Thanx for your generous offers.

I sure hope people here know how generous and thoughtful Dave has been here. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Question - Are the Air Jordan's from KendallCat in Lot #4 deadstock,unworn?
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~1970's Lot- 1970 Topps #189 Thurman Munson PSA 4 RC, 1972 O-Pee-Chee #474 Orioles Rookies(Baylor 2nd and Oates) PSA 8, 1974 Topps PSA 9's - #163 Ken Berry, #243 Bob Oliver, #385 Don Gullett plus 1982 Donruss #401 Steve Bedrosian PSA 10 RC

Modern Star Lot- 1985 Leaf Kirby Puckett PSA 8 RC, 1991 Topps Desert Shield #7 Ryne Sandberg RB BVG 9, 1991 Red Foley #82 Ryne Sandberg PSA 9, 2000 Pacific Crown Royal #20 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10, 1999 Topps Gallery #19 Cal Ripken Jr PSA 10, 1985 Topps Tiffany #665 Don Mattingly PSA 8.5

• Options
    Originally posted by: SpinFadeSplash23

I'm sure they're new.

Mike
  • Options
    Thanx loads Jason - very generous.

I was worried that maybe there are a lot of people who don't know/remember Mike.

I'm getting encouragement - I'm very appreciative! image
    Mike
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Mike and Dave- thanks for doing this. I will definitely contribute. I am finishing up a killer string of nights at work but will get you something soon once I am off

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SpinFadeSplash23

Correct - deadstock, never worn, all labels still on the shoes, direct from Nike. I got them about 6 months ago when they launched. Hope this helps.

KC

• Options
    Originally posted by: cardcountry

Mike and Dave- thanks for doing this. I will definitely contribute. I am finishing up a killer string of nights at work but will get you something soon once I am off

Jeff

Thanx Jeff!

Mike
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Thanx loads Jason - very generous.

I was worried that maybe there are a lot of people who don't know/remember Mike.

I'm getting encouragement - I'm very appreciative! image

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Mike, but we are truly a brotherhood that watches out for each other. I challenge everyone to donate what they can whether they knew Mike or not.

• Options
    We're looking at starting the auction tomorrow at noon. image
    Mike
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Please add this to the items. Thank you.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Thanx Scott!

Very generous buddy.

Please disregard my last PM.
    Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stone, please add this to the auction. Thanks.

• Options
    Thanx Darin - very generous.

A beauty!
    Mike
  • Options
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR GETTING INTO THE SPIRIT OF THIS!!!!

Dave
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is things like this that make me proud to be a forum member here. There are a lot of nice donations so far.

James
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss

Not quite as altruistic as I remember him, but a great gesture nonetheless. Good job guys to help out his wife!

?

Mike
  • Options
    Not quite as altruistic as I remember him, but a great gesture nonetheless. Good job guys to help out his wife!

?

KC

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

?

I will double down on the ? These guys are nice enough to coordinate this event to benefit some young kids who have been dealt a very difficult hand, and your first response is to disparage the man and his memory? As we are taught at a very young age if you cannot say anything nice or positive don't say anything at all.

I apologize for distracting from the main message and purpose of this auction everyone - maybe instead of taking away from the message take another look at the photo of the kids who have no parents and try to think of a way to do something positive for them.

KC

I am at a loss as to why anyone EVER bothers replying to the crisser. It's obvious he tries to make a living as a button pusher. Let's stop taking the bait and he'll disappear.
  • Options
    Let's stop taking the bait and he'll disappear.

Totally agree Tom.

That's why I didn't say anything.

The reason I responded?

To "archive" his response - even if he deletes it? I have proof.

I will not argue with people like Criss - but it's remarks like that which are in total violation of the written and spirit of the "Rules" at the top of our forum - and I have no problem with having him permanently deleted.
    Mike
  • Options
    Let's stop taking the bait and he'll disappear.

Totally agree Tom.

That's why I didn't say anything.

The reason I responded?

To "archive" his response - even if he deletes it? I have proof.

I will not argue with people like Criss - but it's remarks like that which are in total violation of the written and spirit of the "Rules" at the top of our forum - and I have no problem with having him permanently deleted.

Agreed and good points fellas.