Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A new copper Civil War Token pickup today

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though common, a super nice example. A very cool CWT image

1863 MONEY MAKES THE MARE GO / KNICKERBOCKER CURRENCY.
Fuld-254/255 a. Rarity-1. MS-65 RB PCGS

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great look, lots of red on that one. I don't understand the meaning of the obverse image though.
  • Options
    Looks like someone did a little StacksBowers shopping. Nice.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one caught my eye also. Glad it has a good home now!! image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Kaz..........besides "money makes the mare go"
    I don't know what "go it buttons", must have been a private joke between die makers back thenimage

iwasAgeantjim007..........yes, they had a lot of nice ones at stacks today. if they didn't fly through
    the lots I would have picked up a few more

Thanks Cardinal, glad it was something you were considering.

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool!! I use to have about 20 different CWT. I sold them off for the most part. I think I still have 4 or 5 somewhere.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it isn't Gott Buttons?

gott being the brand/name?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's definitely "GO IT BUTTONS", though after some Googling, I come to the conclusion that the meaning of that phrase has been lost to history?

(Or at least it puzzled other people who brought it up in some of the pages I found.)

Great token! I was unfamiliar with the type.

OK, so he's got a big pile of coins spilling out of the sack behind him... but what's that in the basket in front of him?

Note that he appears to be wearing a (by-then-obsolete) tri-cornered hat, and it appears to have a clay pipe stuck in the band.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another historical 'mystery' to be solved....One would think that in some archives in the South the meaning would be preserved...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I researched the phrase a couple years ago when I acquired the example below.

Best I could come up with is Go It Buttons back then meant Go Wild.

Buttons is the name of horse.

The saying "Money Makes The Mare Go" is from a 16th century British nursery rhyme.

Wilt thou lend me thy mare to ride but a mile?

No she's lame going over a stile.

But if thou wilt her to me spare.

Thou shalt have money for thy mare.

Ho ho say you so.

Money shall make my mare go.

Edited to add: Nothings changed as 400 years later money still makes females go wild image

1863 H. D. Gerdts - Coin Dealer, New York, "Money Makes The Mare Go" Fuld-NY630AD-2a, Rarity-3+

Just another fun Coin Dealer pictorial CWSC with coins falling out of the hole in the sack of money.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn something new here every day! Nice tokens. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed!
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this via Google, go-it = goat brand freshwater pearl buttons

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Broadstruck.

I wondered if Buttons might be the mare, who interestingly is nowhere to be seen.

I love these early coin dealer tokens, and may perhaps add one to my Box of 20 someday, though I'm still happy with my Monitor token you helped me find.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    "Go it" ...from the Dictionary of American Slang...act vigorously or strongly;to speak strongly or frankly. Also, to live expensively or dissipatedly.
    Dictionary of American Slang
    It seems in 19th century literature, "go it buttons" is sometimes used in fight contexts, akin to "you go girl" or "let's rumble"..."put up or shut up" and similar expressions.
    "go it" in a 19th century book
    "Money makes the mare go" essentially meaning "money makes the world go 'round" or money gets things done.
    So, in conjunction with that expression, the meaning of "go it buttons" seems more intended towards living dissipatedly, or carelessly wasting one's money. That seems supported by the bag of coins or crops--presumably either taken from or intended to be put in the basket--carelessly leaking unnoticed onto the ground. Overall, the meaning seems to be "money does makes the world go 'round, but it's easy come easy go".

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file