Home Metal Detecting

2 Gold, 8 silvers, 3 buffalos, and a V nickel!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Figure I’d get out today since the weather would only top out around 80, with some clouds. Within 5 minutes a Buffalo came out. Hoped it meant it was going to be a good day. Turned out it was!

Ended with:

2 Mercury Dimes

4 Silver Roosevelts

Sterling band

Sterling Military (Navy?) ring - has some weight to it

Vintage brass cross

Other misc. junk jewelry

Three hair barrettes - all brass and all vintage

13 wheat cents

3 buffalo nickels

And a surprising 1887 V Nickel. Too bad it wasn’t 2 years older.

Toward the end of the hunt, tide coming in, I got just another low tone. It was pretty shallow compared to some of the other objects. Saw the glint of gold! Snapped a couple pics and even took a video, which I’ll post later. Saw it was a class ring, and at first thought it was 1972, but then wiped a little mud and saw 1922?? Crazy!

Decided to keep going and about 20 minutes later got half of a gold ring. This thing is busted… all prongs broken, half the band is missing, and another section would have probably broken off in a short amount of time. I rescanned the hole but couldn’t find the other piece.

Got home and cleaned up the class ring. It has a cool dragon on the top. Couldn’t figure out what school that is, but either way the person would be 112 of so years old. It’s stamped 10k.

This was from the section of the Silver Beach I had hit before, but not hard. Guess it’s worth one more shot. This is where the gold ring was found last weekend.

HH all!

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Georgetown Law School?

The other ring is Marine Corps.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Bayard mentioned, eagle & globe = US Marine Corps. Semper Fi!

That 1922 10K class ring with the dragon is a real prize. Just think- it was probably lost before WW2- maybe as many as 90 years ago.

As you suggested, the person who lost it is now almost certainly beneath the soil themselves, or a supercentenarian.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... fantastic day... that is one awesome beach you are working.... just wait for a super low tide and hit it .... the class ring is really nice... Cheers, RickO
  • rjsvtrjsvt Posts: 163
    Great stuff!!!!
    Bob
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was another super day for you. That salt water sure does a number on silver.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, the Marines! I'm not good at the military stuff. My buddy's gf is in the Marines, so don't tell anyone I missed that one!

It looks like the band actually has an "835" silver mark. Based on my extensive 35 seconds of online research, it could have been made in Belgium, Austria, the Netherlands, Germany, or Portugal. So it may be a bit older. What do you guys think?

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69

Ahhh, the Marines! I'm not good at the military stuff. My buddy's gf is in the Marines, so don't tell anyone I missed that one!

It looks like the band actually has an "835" silver mark. Based on my extensive 35 seconds of online research, it could have been made in Belgium, Austria, the Netherlands, Germany, or Portugal. So it may be a bit older. What do you guys think?

I think you're right, or pretty close.

Old? Yes, but I couldn't tell you how old. Prolly a century or so, would be my WAG.

PS- do my eyes deceive me, or was that ring sized? It almost looks like there is a slightly more yellowish colored patch there, but interestingly, the "835" mark overlaps it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Gold! Oh... and here's some more gold... and then.... and also...

Damn you! image

The silver Marines ring is super sweet!

On the 835 silver ring: Can't see any national marks, so it's hard to say for sure.
    German ring from the WW2 era sounds like a reasonable guess to me, statistically.
    May be worth cleaning it up a bit more just to make sure there are no additional markings on it? (Looks like it still has some crust on it)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    WW2 era may be a good estimate. A lot of the items from this area are from the 1930s to the 1960s. Could have even been purchased (of maybe... "found") in Germany by a soldier and brought back to the U.S. I'll try to clean it up some more within the next week or so to see if anything else shows there. When I first glanced the night it was found, saw three digits and the last one of 5, so assumed it was "925." But thought it was odd to have a ring that tended to be newer than the "sterling" mark.

Really want to get back there and see what else comes out.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    in Germany by a soldier and brought back to the U.S.

That was actually my exact thought process behind "statistically".

- Ring is from one of the European countries you mentioned (of which Germany is the largest)
    - Ring looks to have 50+ years of age to it
    - Ring was found in the US
    - Ring is rather plain. Why would such a basic silver ring have been bought in the US as an import? Surely you had plenty of perfectly capable silversmiths. It was probably "acquired" overseas
    -And the end of WW2 there were almost 2 million American troops in Europe, while intercontinental travel was otherwise not very common at that time

--> A WW2 story of some sort seems likely to me
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Cool class ring. Interesting that it doesn't say HS. Maybe the L is for Lutherin or Ladies or maybe Lake?

Any Lakes around that start with G? Local towns starting with G?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cine rings, them are always fun image
  • Great finds - thanks for sharing.