Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two Newps

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just did a photo shoot today, been since early June since I had time and newps to image. I am very pleased with both examples in hand. What you don't see in my bust quarter image is the luster - total flash around the rims grading to silky in the interior. The Conder has proof-like surfaces and likely would have been designated as such if graded ATS (PCGS does not have a PL designation). And 30-75 estimated to be extant to boot. Love the three hanging man motif.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive Bust quarter. I see nicely toned AU bust halves all the time, but rarely see
    the quarters this nice.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful!
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was younger, I had no desire for Bust coinage. My how my tastes have changed!! I need to get a nicely toned example like yours, they are truly a thing of beauty.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed that 1835 quarter by about 30 seconds. Congrats on your pickup. It's a beauty!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D
    Very impressive Bust quarter. I see nicely toned AU bust halves all the time, but rarely see
    the quarters this nice.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Eagleguy
    I missed that 1835 quarter by about 30 seconds. Congrats on your pickup. It's a beauty!

Good to know others were interested in it as well, means I picked something good......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quarter's a stunner.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    I think I can agree that Quarter is very nice. Hard to find an AU with such clean and nicely toned surfaces. Better looking than some "higher grade" examples.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics and amazing coins.

I love that quarter!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah....I was going after that quarter too. Very nice. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: golden
    Originally posted by: Walkerguy21D
    the quarters this nice.

Nice capped bust quarters that have not been messed with, have some nice toning and minimal nicks are hard to find - mintages were low relative to bust halves. So a tough series to collect overall. HST, many more die marriages for bust halves making a complete collection, as we know, an amazing challenge. Both series are worth collecting for sure. A perhaps even greater challenge is the draped bust quarters.....

Best, SH

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Great choices, SH. I'm partial to the quarter, of course. Lovely color and very clean surfaces. There's always a tradeoff with color and luster but I can see the latter peeking through.

Spectacular Conder. A really neat scarcity. I must find one of those someday.

Lance.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are extremely nice specimens.... will have to look for the history behind the Condor... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I instantly assumed it was a half. As others have said, this is really a nice find for a quarter.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, the Conder is one of the 'political' tokens of its time pushing against the status quo and for the rights of man. It was such a tumultuous time period – a turning point in history. The Revolutionary war with Britain and the French Revolution were prominent on the world scene. In Britain it was a time when men stood up for what was right and were willing to die for their beliefs in freedom and equality. It was the beginning of the Industrial Revolution when people were moving from the country to the cities and the merchants needed small coinage to pay their workers. Counterfeited regal coins almost outnumbered the real thing and silver was priced at an all time high. The British Crown didn't think copper a worthy enough metal to be struck at the royal mint so permission for copper tokens to be manufactured by the people was given. So the Conder political tokens were born out of these times.

The reverse represents 3 hanging men, two of which apparently were leading the movement - Thomas Spence and Thomas Paine, and others - google either name to further examine what was going on at that time.

Rights of Man

1794 Treason Trials

Also here is a link to the same token in the PCGS Coinfacts - note the strike through between the two men facing each other that shows these images are the same token as mine. Try as I might I could not reproduce the colors - one has to have the light directly on top of it and it takes a better photographer than I to capture those colors without alot of reflections:

PCGS image of this token

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking Newps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file