Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, Okay, I know... Not another 1913 Type 1 Buffalo but.....

jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's another Buffalo I just picked up. I know...... I'm a sucker for these Type 1's, I've been trying to lay off of them, but the strike on this one was too much for me to pass up. So many others have been so flat looking and lacking detail compared to this one. I may have over paid, but I can't wait to see it in hand.

Just like the other one, if I'm not happy with it when it arrives on Monday, back it goes.

What do you think of this one?

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the most pronounced tail I have seen on a mint state buffalo. Great strike. Did you buy it at MS64 money?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's impressive! No, really!

Show us pix when you have it in hand.

Lance.
  • Options
    Woohoo!!! I think I did good.

I will post some pics of it when it get's here. The tail is just incredible looking. I hope the surfaces look as nice in hand as well and nothing is hidden.

I had to use my sniping software to place a Nuclear bid while I was out of town. I won it for $72.00 and was prepared to go much higher. Thankfully it didn't go as high as I had put in for my high bid.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it but it looks like it has a couple scars on the obverse. Definitely one to sit and enjoy every once in a while.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, your next step (if you decide to keep it) must be to send it to that guy who makes the FST (full split tail) stickers, right?

Or send it to me, and I'll affix my own patented ITH (Individual Tail Hairs) sticker which is the kind of detail I'm seeing on this little coin. image

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW

They sure had the pressure cranked up for that one.

Strongest I have ever seen by far.

That one is a keeper.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching this coin too on eBay
    a great strike and an even greater pickup for you!
    congrats!!
    buffnixx
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Truly, one of the first off a new die.

Very nice coin !
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very impressive Buff.... WOW... let us know if it lives up to the picture.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    justcollectingjustcollecting Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    Do you think that is shadow or mechanical doubling around the chin and lips. I have have seen a number of these with mechanical doubling. I almost started a set. Here is a 13 d type one that has massive doubling.

• Options
    I don't think this one has any machine doubling, I think it's just shadows. I will know much more once it arrives. I will take my own photo's and post them.

IwasAgentjim007, the hair in front of the horn is a concern of mine as well. I will see how it looks in hand. But the rest of it just spoke to me. I am fairly confident that the detail in the hair is there and that it's just the image.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great strike though countered by some missing high point luster. But does it really make a big difference in price when it's a 63/64 coin? The best strikes come on the matte proofs, so compare against those.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Of coarse Matte Proofs will have the best strikes. I would hope so. I'm not comparing this one to a Matte Proof, not even close. But compared to most business strikes, this one is way ahead of the heard.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Pretty coin with a great strike.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can certainly do a lot worse! On a lot of them the only thing missing is a bit of detail on the head.

No thread is complete without a sales pitch!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that a flea on the buffalo's back?

Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Is that a flea on the buffalo's back?

Wow.

No, I think it's a tick.

• Options
    The Buffalo arrived today! The luster is not as booming as I would like, but it is there and there appear to be no breaks in it at all. Overall I am pretty happy with it. I just shot some images of it this afternoon. The first set is using axial lighting to show the details in the strike and the second set it to show the luster.

Now the debate on whether it's worth it to send in for grading.

Axial Lighting:

Standard Lighting:

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great strike on my favorite of all time coins in the world. I too love the type 1 buffalo nickels. I have a few.
    Very nice find. Great looking piece????????
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Thanks hounddog... That mean's a lot coming from you. LOL

I have another that I am going to create a thread on that was in the mail along with this one.
  • Options
    If it gets a 65, you're even money.

This one got a 66+ and is pretty hammered for a business strike, and mainly hit free. Luster was likely what kept it out of a 67 holder.

• Options
    That one is hammered!! It looks like it has pretty decent luster too. It might be worth a try at a 67 again.

The luster on mine, is more of a satin appearance rather than the wet look that I have seen on others.
  • Options
    Type 1s aren't known for blinding luster, just the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    Yeah, I would agree. I do have a PCGS MS64 that I bought that has a whole lot of luster. It also also some incredibly deep reddish gold toning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file