Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1786 New Jersey copper sold for $12,100 on eBay

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
A 1986 New Jersey copper just sold on eBay for over $12,000, with a third-place bidder over $8,000 and a fourth-place bidder over $5,000. While that price might not be noteworthy at a major auction, it's definitely unusual on eBay.

Could someone who knows about Colonials fill in the rest of us what's special about this one? I have the Whitman book, and I can't place the variety. I see that there's a 10-oo that's listed as unique and unpictured. Is this a second example? A new variety? Something else?

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wondered if it was a new "wm?" over the plow selling way too cheap but doesnt appear so.

outside that, i dont have the jersey book.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know the Maris variety, but the 1786 Date under plow, no coulter variety is 2nd most rare of all New Jersey varieties, and there probably are a few sub-varieties that are legitimately NC (non collectible).

The eBay coin appears to be very similar to a Maris 12-I that Heritage sold in XF40 for $22,325 in 2014.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 10-G to me. R-6+. Impressive price, as far as I can tell.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how shocked the seller was? Certainly didn't list it with much fanfare, so I kind guess the bidding was a surprise?
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet the shipping costs more than the $2.45 they have in the listing.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Christ,

That's not too far from me, apparently he wasn't aware either, nor would I have been.

jim
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think sniping would have saved a few bucks.
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a Maris 10-G. It is an R-6 now (just past the R-6+ mark with about 20 known). The impressive price comes from the fact that while not as rare as it once was, there has not really been any examples that have come to market in the past 8-10 years. As such, many collectors who started collecting NJs after 2010 have not had the chance to acquire this variety.

I believe 2010 was the last time any decent examples of this variety were offered, one of which I bought and sold to a customer privately and one which was in a Stacks auction that was purchased by another well known collector.

I know of at least three major collectors who do not own this variety, and as such I assume they strongly competed against each other to get it. I did talk to the winning bidder tonight and he is quite happy to add this tough coin to his set.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NewEnglandRarities
    The impressive price comes from the fact that while not as rare as it once was, there has not really been any examples that have come to market in the past 8-10 years. As such, many collectors who started collecting NJs after 2010 have not had the chance to acquire this variety.

Have a lot of people actually started collecting NJ's in recent years? Serious question. I wouldn't know.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jinx86

Bet the shipping costs more than the $2.45 they have in the listing.

No you can ship a small parcel USPS 1st Class for $2.45.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A link I got from Andy Lustig years ago when I was trying to figure out my NJ copper.

New Jersey Coppers
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MrEureka
    Originally posted by: NewEnglandRarities
    The impressive price comes from the fact that while not as rare as it once was, there has not really been any examples that have come to market in the past 8-10 years. As such, many collectors who started collecting NJs after 2010 have not had the chance to acquire this variety.

Have a lot of people actually started collecting NJ's in recent years? Serious question. I wouldn't know.

Yes, I would say so. The group of auctions that occurred from 2009-2012 containing larger collections in mostly collector grade allowed some scarcer varieties to sell very reasonably . As such, it seems that a new group of collectors came about all around the same time.

There are probably 5-6 collections that were started in 2010-2013 that now contain 70-90+ varieties.

the Craige and Newman sales helped push some of these collections into the advanced collector circle. Not quite the same as the large influx of colonial collectors that we saw in the early to mid 1990s but NJ varieties especially have been quite hot with many new faces participating.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone with the initials MD buy the coin?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ambro51
    Did someone with the initials MD buy the coin?

He did not. He has a nice VF.
  • Options
    For those curious to see more of the detail on this variety, here is an image of the example I handled in 2010.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive. While aware of NJ coppers, I did not know they were reaching these levels ... and thanks for the image NewEnglandRarities... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

n.e.r.

is that the serpent head?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Originally posted by: LanceNewmanOCC
    n.e.r.

is that the serpent head?

Its is not the serpent head type. The serpent head is the Maris 54-k. This piece, the Maris 10-G is part of the "no coulter" family and is dated a year earlier than the serpent head.

Though I can see where someone might think that the 10-G head style is similar to the serpent head style. Some have thought that the serpent head is a contemporary counterfeit (which is most likely true based on the average weight of the coin versus what came out of the mint during the era). As such, they may have tried to copy some of the earlier NJ varieties, which do seem to have longer necks.

The picture below is the serpent head variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file