Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are 1955 Proof in Flat packs priced higher than Box pack?

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
I wonder what the percentage of Flat vs Box is.

Assuming all the coins are of equal quality, do the Flat packs really go for more?

Some 1950 to '55 Proofs sets coming up in an auction and I was curious.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1955 box proof set coins can rip through the bottom of the plastic sleeves and knock around inside the box. The box proof set coins are a lot harder to examine than the flat packs.

Don't know if that has anything to do with the price differences.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall the flat packs having a premium (sometimes slight) since at least the mid-1960s. They make it easier to view the whole set, they take up less space, and they match the later sets through 1964 which more collectors own than the earlier 1950-54 sets.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Overdate

I recall the flat packs having a premium (sometimes slight) since at least the mid-1960s. They make it easier to view the whole set, they take up less space, and they match the later sets through 1964 which more collectors own than the earlier 1950-54 sets.

I think your reasoning is spot on.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is Leo Frese on this? I betcha he has a similar or more in depth response...not saying that the aforementioned responses are right/wrong, because I don't know.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming all the coins are of equal quality

perhaps the reasoning of Overdate is somehow figured into the equation, but if you look at enough 1955 Proof Sets in both box and flat-pack configurations you will understand the pricing better. the overall quality of the flat-pack sets is much better. I would also suggest that it is driven by the simple mechanics of Capitalism, supply and demand. I suppose that there were more flat-pack sets to begin with and time has taken a toll --- since the quality of those is better they are more apt to be broken apart. in a similar way, since the quality of the box sets is lower and further damage probable I suspect they often are placed in Capital Plastic type holders for display/sales.

all things considered, I believe the price difference is justified.
  • Options
    Good answers. Thanks.

Every suggestion for the slightly higher price seems to make perfect sense.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins in the 1955 box sets were housed in plastic sleeves that very frequently imparted a very unattractive layer of tarnish on the silver pieces. This tarnish did not dip well, and the coins in the set were often less attractive and lower quality no matter what you did to them. This problem started in mid 1954 when the mint changes from the celluloid sleeves to the plastic ones. For that reason I believe that nicely preserved 1954 Proof sets are somewhat underrated.

The flat packs have held up well. So long as the sets are stored in a dry, moderately temperate environment, avoiding openings in the pouches, the coins are preserved surprisingly well. Overall the flat pack is a reasonable decent and certainly very cost effective storage device.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    +1---what keets said.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another factor in the popularity of the flat packs is that many collectors of that era used Capital Plastics holders that were designed to display the flat packs, unopened. No such holder existed for the boxed pack coins.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Here are what some Proof sets sold for if anyone cares (includes 10% buyers fee):

1950 box set. $550.

1951 box set - $467. Best set IMO. Nice color too.

1952 box set - $220.

1953 box set - $209.

1954 box set - $121.

1955 flat pack - $121.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    What Keets said!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file