Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated half CAC certified

sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean it is an upgrade candidate to a FR02?
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waste of money.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price guide in that grade is $35

Sister parted ways, this one led a different (without a doubt, less interesting) life

imageimage

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Does that mean it is an upgrade candidate to a FR02?

It's a green bean, not a gold.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why we wait for submissions for extraordinary long times...........................sheesh.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most readable date on any PO1?
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Although I agree the price may be a bit ridiculous, I find coins in theses grades quite interesting. Actually, more interesting than the "sister" posted in this thread. Obviously, I am in the minority and I don't even collect "lowball" coins.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at that coin and I just smile. What a neat coin and the fact that it CAC'ed makes it doubly neat.
    Mark

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there enough meat left on the bone there to confirm it's not a New Orleans issue?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ms70

Is there enough meat left on the bone there to confirm it's not a New Orleans issue?

The O mint mark sits up pretty high in the notch of the tail feathers/olive branch stem and would still be quite visible if it were a New Orleans mint coin. I have a very similar 1843-0 seated quarter where the date and mint mark are both 100% full....yet the reverse lettering is 100% gone, and only 2-3 partial stars remain on the obverse.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin. I have a soft spot for these martyrs of commerce. Having them slabbed is marginally useful. Having them stickered is a complete waste.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Baley's better!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    No one hit "buy it now" yet image too expensive ??
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it isn't an oxymoron, I'd say that is a "beautiful" PO01.

Mind you, I don't completely "get it" on the lowball collecting (not in pricey plastic, anyway), but yes... that's neat.

The CAC bean on it makes me giggle a bit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth about $9.00 to me (melt/$7.35 + a little extra for the novelty of being slabbed. I can appreciate low ball coins' circulated character, but not enough to pay any significant premium for them.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Originally posted by: thisnamztaken

Worth about $9.00 to me (melt/$7.35 + a little extra for the novelty of being slabbed. I can appreciate low ball coins' circulated character, but not enough to pay any significant premium for them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much there for a PO01 in my opinion.

Looks like a 02.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mannie gray

Looks like a 02.

Hence the CAC bean, I suppose?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused. Doesn't the CAC sticker actually lower the coin's value? I thought the purpose of a lowball set was to see how low you could go. Wouldn't you want a low end PO-1? I'm sure CAC doesn't mind the donation.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011

I'm confused. Doesn't the CAC sticker actually lower the coin's value? I thought the purpose of a lowball set was to see how low you could go. Wouldn't you want a low end PO-1? I'm sure CAC doesn't mind the donation.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cameonut2011

Yup, I was going to say the same thing. It's solid for PO-1, but I want some dreck that is closer to PO-0(just created it, it now exists, sorry).
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has it's "quirkiness", but I will stick with my "Everyman" 19th Century Set.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CAC sticker means they are a potential buyer/bidder of the coin. And I would imagine CAC is aware of the slabbed PO1 novelty/premiums for these coins. Makes sense to me that JA's sticker suggests the call is plenty low enough for an "all there" PO1 grade....as well as having fairly choice surfaces/being low on marks for such a low grade. Sorry, but I don't want a nasty PO1 with hairlines, signs of old cleanings, scuffs, recent slide marks, a few rim cuts, etc. You want the coin both heavily worn and choice surfaces at the same time.

If I ran across this coin raw I'd be ok paying $25-$35 for it, though always happy to pay less. If you have some other better date seated halves in PO1 one for sale at $7-$12 each give me a holler.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CommemKing
    Waste of money.

big time.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin epitomizes the statement:

And coin collectors wonder:

Why "sane" people think coin collectors are nuts.

Why they were the ones that got beat up in junior high school everyday.

It is perfectly logical to a coin collector that a "better" coin goes to melt for $7, and this one is slabbed and beaned for $200+, whilst (I love that word whilst whilst whilst) and their spouses divorce lawyers are rolling with laughter on a slam dunk major settlement.
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Wow! That is just too cool. Lucky to have survived the silver melts of the 1980's. P-01 values though have puzzled me for a long time. Sure it is a neat grade to acquire such cions, however, I think the value should be less than an ag, not more. JMO.

Here is an even cooler PO1 seated half

And fwAAOSwARZXivxt">a 1904 Morgan dollar which also has a CAC sticker!

The prices being asked for these is beyond my comprehention.

Bob
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Mark

I look at that coin and I just smile. What a neat coin and the fact that it CAC'ed makes it doubly neat.

+1

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley, that is a really nice half ..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would someone waste their money stickering that - sense of humor?
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978

Why would someone waste their money stickering that - sense of humor?

People waste their money on lots of stupid things. The sticker may not be a waste of money, it could bring more now.

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    What it graded and sold for ain't any of my business but I like the coin.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Originally posted by: mannie gray

Looks like a 02.

Hence the CAC bean, I suppose?

It's a green bean, not a gold.

• Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Forget TPG. Forget CAC. Who's hands did this coin pass through? Union soldier? Which state? Which regiment? Confederate soldier? I'd like to hold that coin in my hand and think where it's been. House of ill repute? That, to me, is history. That, to me, is numismatics. Outstanding coin.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file