Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

George Washington "Born in Virginia/General of the Armies" Token

JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
Many thanks to those who've provided thoughts/information regarding the "Liberty & Security" penny I posted earlier today. This George Washington "Born in Virginia/General of the Armies" example belongs to a friend/neighbor and fellow collector who asked me to take some pics and post them here.

I knew absolutely nothing about this issue until he picked it up, but after some brief research it appears to be a very scarce and sought after issue.

Any thoughts/comments/additional information is welcomed. Thank you all again! The wealth of information on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Comments

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I've owned a few of these over the years. It might just be the lighting, but I have suspicions that the item might be a cast copy.

If you can't have someone knowledgeable locally take a look at it, I strongly recommend you send it in to PCGS for grading and authentication.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my specimen graded by PCGS, Ex:Newcomer-Green-Picker-Terranova, for comparison:

• Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardinal

This is my specimen graded by PCGS, Ex:Newcomer-Green-Picker-Terranova, for comparison:

Ah - so you bought that coin, Cardinal. I've always loved it. It is a freak of nature!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im glad hes not here today to see what carp we have going on in politics. enough said here.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the piece does not look authentic in the photo.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an amazing specimen Cardinal.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SpudmasherSpudmasher Posts: 170 ✭✭
    I was the lucky one to find this token and so many hundreds of coins over the years from our local B&M dealer Joe Gallo who initially set up shop on King St. In Alexandria, VA in the mid 60's. It will be a very sad day when he leaves the business because for all that know him he was an asset to the hobby and still is to this day.

The coin shown above was in one of several boxes of misc that he is now clearing out to go out of business. The piece is a large improvement over what it was. Laquer completely covered the piece both sides. I did a quick dip in acetone to show what it looks like as of know. Just a few of the other pieces gathered on a Friday morning were a 1909 half with liberty punched through marvelous piece. Also a 1864 GREAT CENTRAL FAIR PHILADELPHIA token dated June 1864. Nice XF silver. Google that piece for a learning experience. Another piece recently purchased and submitted to PC is 80884804. Hopefully KEETS Will see and enjoy this. Purchased on April Fools day only not a joke. $20.00. Lots less than the grading fees, postage etc.

The Washington token will eventually end up in Newport Beach assuming it is the real thing.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gallo was one of my mentors. He sure had some interesting pieces come into his hands. As I remember, almost everyone came around to sell him stuff. Dealers like AL J. were allowed to look through rolls of Morgan dollars in his safe. I can remember what a big deal it was to lean over the front case opposite his desk and be able to read even the bold headline on the CDN or see all the interesting Newps piled on his desk. Joe was/probably still is a character. He was to Arlington what Harry Foreman was to Philly and that's saying it all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file