Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Evolution of the PCGS Holder

A hint of posters to come. The Evolution of the PCGS Holder depicts 12 key holders used throughout PCGS’ 30 years of service. (Sometimes the holders become the rarity.) There also might just be a dedicated web page coming, which will delve deeper into the history of PCGS holders. We'll keep you posted.

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the peek?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Cool!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    Voila! Let us know what you think!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat!

Do the "David Hall" flips count or were those pre-pcgs?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DNADave

Neat!

Do the "David Hall" flips count or were those pre-pcgs?

Before PCGS and no certification number.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good idea
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they will be ready for the ANA. I want some.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might buy one.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one of the jumbo (new style) PCGS holders for the first time today in lot viewing. Cool!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, I don't wanna be "that guy" but didn't the doily come after the two piece plain insert? #4 should be where #3 is, and vice versa?

They didn't go from rattler right to doily, I'm 100% sure of that.

PCGS looks at it differently than we traditionally have here on the forum - 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 are basically a rattler wrapped with an outer ring - all the same generation as far as PCGS is concerned.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice! An optional dark background would be cool too. I hope it's available as a download so it can be enjoyed on the computer or as a screen saver!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a white label rattler. winner winner chicken dinner.
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How difficult would it be to collect each slab with the same type of coin? For example, each one holds an MS65 1938-S Buffalo?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice presentation.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are "Detectable Additives"?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

And here I was thinking this slab just tasted better and was titled "Delectable Additives"!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

And here I was thinking this slab just tasted better and was titled "Delectable Additives"!

No MSG.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want one.
  • Options
    I did the research for this.

Gen 1 is the familiar rattler, originally with plain white (very briefly) then with green ribbed paper labels.

All of Gen 2 is the rattler with the surround. According to our computer records, the doily labels were used first (from late Sept to mid October 1989. We then show the pale green perforated label (Gen 2.1, not shown on poster) used from mid October to early December 1989. Finally, Gen 2.2 has a non-Perforated label and was used from mid December through late Jan 1990.

Both the Doily 2.0 and the green perf label 2.1 appear both with and without PCGS at the top.

Keep in mind all these were used for only about 4 months. According to the people that were there (and still here) it was a very tough time, as we were working hard on a more secure holder, and were trying several different ideas.

Gen 3 is the regular two piece holder with a green label. 2 generations of that were made from January 1990 through Sept 1998.

Gen 4 has the same holder, but an totally new blue label introduced in Oct 1998. We have identified 6 sub generations of that. That was used through Jan 2014.

We will hopefully have a website up shortly detailing all of the generations.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    How many gen 1 white label still exist today? Tens, hundreds, or thousands?
    How about sample slabs of the first gen white label image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was small enough I could use these as placemats at the dinner table to introduce my girls into my hobby.

Are those slab images "actual size"? It could be a template for an "education" display.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and finally, with help from PCGS, we have clarity on the correct spelling of Doily. let the edits begin.
  • Options
    White label holders were used less than a month. It was actually unplanned, as the vendor shipped the wrong color and type of labels. They were supposed to be ribbed, light green paper, but we got white, unribbed paper, so we used those till the correct labels arrived. This was in early February, 1986.

There are two varieties of white labels. Gen 1.0 used a crude, dot matrix printer. Note the shape of the "5". That was used only a few days, and I doubt more than a handful exist today. Gen 1.1 used the newer, improved printer. I would imagine there may be a few hundred of those around still.

Note that he light green label used from March 1986 through Sept 1989 tends to fade with time, so the real test for a true white label is the paper. It should be unribbed.

I have not seen a white holder sample slab. Does someone out there have one?

Attached are a couple photos of Gen 1.0 and Gen 1.1.

Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    These are really awesome! Does anyone know when/where they will be available and pricing?

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    Nope - have never seen a white rattler sample - imagine it would bring a lot if offered!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

A security feature:

"Additives in the embedded hologram and label will allow PCGS to determine the authenticity of the new holders."
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great poster. Well done!

• Options
    There are more, and they will be shown on the website (hopefully) when it's ready.

We have identified six major generations, with about 20 or so sub-generations. We limited the poster to 12 so they'd be large enough to see well.
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSherman- I was being sarcastic. I too recognized about 20 different slabs. The work of Conder101, Lakesammman and other members on this forum inspired me, and the fact a WLH short set has 20 coins in it made it a great set to build. It's way cool you and Pcgs are doing this. Thanks!

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    Sandman - that's a really cool set! Congratulations!!

I'm working on a similar set and have 1 more generation to go. image
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this thread! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file