Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New auction house winner

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
I previously complimented (justly so) Goldbergs in this thread: Linkage

But...a new leader has emerged. It was an auction held in Japan and I bid via Sixbid. I thought I was going to have to wire money, but they ended up offering Paypal...at 4%. The wire fee from my own bank would have been cheaper but apparently there is a fee from the receiving bank as well, so Paypal did end up being cheaper. It sucks having that kind of surcharge but frankly I got good enough deals I'm quite happy with the overall costs.

The auction ended on 18 July, I sent an inquiry for an invoice a few days later. Considering the language issues I was quite pleased to have my invoice by 22 July. I paid, the payment was confirmed via email and the coins shipped out 28 July via Fedex. The coins arrived today, before 10 am.

But, in keeping with the Goldberg theme, it wasn't just the very nice communication BUT the packaging was something to be in awe over.

On the left you can see the outer box, the inner box, the bubble mailer, plus (harder to see) the additional bubble wrap the slabs were wrapped in. On the right, the slabs also had a thick plastic sleeve AND the thin sleeve. So, six layers of protection and sent via FedEx (yes, I paid for that option, but it sure kept things simple).

Later I can also show a few pictures, but I have to say the auction photos were not the best. The coin featured in this shot was dismal looking on the site, but in hand the toning is quite pretty.

Sadly, the Albanian coin I had hopes for went for about 2x my bid. Oh well. I ended up with 5 nice Japanese coins of either dates or varieties I have not been able to acquire from my 'usual sources'. A grand experience!

Cathy

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Impressive packaging and service.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathy, I too bid in that auction (first time) but haven't yet received my winning.

It is a REAL SWEET Japanese pattern. I'll post a photo when it arrives.

Glad to hear all went well. I had great service as well.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed link?

link

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thanks for the link fix Don. I tried to edit it and got the dreaded Error 113. Aargh!

A Japanese pattern??? That will be nice!

```````````````````````````````

Here is better look at one of the coins

The auction house photo:

Not too bad, but emphasizes the splotchy factor without showing the color factor.

This photo is from my basement studio/mixed lighting but pretty close to the daylight look (done via cell phone):

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Work? Thought you were retired.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Retired from the Navy. I'm doing part time now--every other weekend in three shifts (a backup Friday night, which is where I am now) then 12 hour days on Sat/Sun. A dream job in terms of everything except the 2 hour 40 minute commute. If this job were available where I live it would be pretty close to perfect. Unfortunately not a big market for the type of job I'm doing now in the local market...and moving is never happening again (unless it's to an assisted living place....).

edited to add: I drive up to the big city on Friday evening, and drive home again Sunday night. I generally stay in the hospital, but occasionally get a hotel. Or, if I'm tired, I'll stop and stay in a hotel if I don't feel safe driving. Some of the weekends are exhausting.

Between taxes, professional expenses (licenses, fees, courses) gas and the occasional hotel bill for when I'm too sleepy to drive all the way home, I probably keep about 1/3 of what my official salary is. Oh well. It keeps my brain going, and the lack of continual extraneous pressures makes it worth it. Basically hobby money (for all of us), plus the cushion needed for college expenses for the kiddos. My oldest starts this fall YIKES.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathy I experienced the same on their first auction. Well packaged and delivered swiftly. Wonderful coins!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin, and sounds like great service.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that is a lovely 50 Sen.

Everything I have ever ordered from Japanese sellers, whether on eBay or auction houses, arrived in impressive packaging. I once received a coin (slabbed) in a gift box with bow, ribbon, and inside ... potpourri! Seriously. I believe it is a cultural thing. Presentation is very important and respected.

Glad you had a good experience. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cathy I experienced the same on their first auction. Well packaged and delivered swiftly. Wonderful coins!

ditto, I also was truly pleasantly surprised.

Nice post - it is almost always a great read when one describes with pictures the arrival of newps in such passionate descriptions.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received my purchase today, packed equally well as Cathy's.

This is a copper pattern half-Yen, designed by LC Wyon and struck at the Royal Mint in 1870.

According to the catalogs, there are a series of these in various denominations struck in copper and silver, but all I've ever seen are the silver Yen size which sell for between $250-500k. This copper half-Yen was significantly cheaper than that and is probably equally if not more rare.

PCGS SP63RB

• Options
    imageimage

Holy cow, that's awesome! Will you adopt me?

edited to add:

BTW this was the 'one' I was really after (not counting the Albanian coin):

Of course, the other four were just accidentally purchased image

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful haul Cathy. It was a very nice auction with quality, mostly PCGS graded coins, and very reasonably priced.

Pruebas, a monster rarity, congrats! I saw the realized price and I suspect it's hammer only. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3