Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG of my New Bust Half, 1817 O-103 Punctuated Date ***GRADE POSTED***

I won this on eBay a few days ago, but not before someone bid me up (was it you?). I was at least relieved to see the coin is the O-103 Punctuated Date variety, as I had suspected from the missing serifs on the bases of the I's in UNITED and AMERICA, as well as being a relatively early die state coin (later states of this die marriage do not have a dot between 1 and 7 and thus are not classified as "Punctuated Date"). In circulated condition, this popular variety commands about a 2-3x premium over common 1817's, and even more in AU/MS grades. I have owned a few examples in the last 5 years, two of which of which I sold at the most recent Long Beach coin expo (both of those were PCGS VF35). I think this one is slightly better than those two. With that said, this is one of my favorite Overton varieties and I always enjoy buying a new one, regardless of condition.

Please let me know what you think of the coin (condition, attractiveness, cool-ness, etc). It goes to PCGS this week. I've included a poll in this thread so we may conduct a proper "GTG" contest. I will post the results here as soon as they are ready.

Thanks for looking!

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Guessed VF25
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will call it XF...45 is what I think it deserves.

Nice coin, Brian! I love the variety.

Lance.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a quick hit on 35....

But looking and thinking, I'd guess a lot of the central weakness on the obverse may have never been there to begin with....and 40 or 45 is a better guess.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack
    LOL at the amount of options for your GTG. That's way too much work for me.

Thank you for recognizing how long that took. image

You know there's always that one guy that says the grade he wants to guess is missing, so this way I can't possibly go wrong!
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BustHalfBrian

Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

LOL at the amount of options for your GTG. That's way too much work for me.

Thank you for recognizing how long that took. image

You know there's always that one guy that says the grade he wants to guess is missing, so this way I can't possibly go wrong!

Well, you got 1 vote for "70", so it was all worth it.... image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what an XF 45 should look like.

It's MUCH better than others I've seen these days in that grade.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted XF 45
  • Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    XF 40
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm saying 40
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure our hosts would grade her XF.

At least not if I sent it in.

Nice coin and nice variety Brian.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like as a 40
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with XF40. Nice pick up!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    A funky 40. Nice find!
    Colonial and Continental Currency Collector.

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    I voted xf40 also. The obverse may hold it back as far as vf35 though. The reverse could put it at xf45 or even au50.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the picture, I say XF40... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it as 40... shot at 45...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 40.
    Look like a small spread of votes in that range.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40, outside shot 45, and I love the look.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider this a solid xf. PCGS can be a little tough on weak eagle feathers on the reverse and this coin has a bit of that weakness. The obverse looks xf+, but I'll go with 40.

Tom

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf 35/xf 40. jmo
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I grade it awesome.

And I also chose 40.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin.

No, I did not bid you up ... I have an O-103. image

I grade it EF-40 and can see how it could go EF-45 at PCGS.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most certainly the earlier posters have much more knowledge than I do on this series, but I believe due to the weaknesses in the strikes for this series, hardly any fully struck coins, this coin might very well grade AU53. Then again, not claiming to be knowledgeable, just reading a book. lol Nice pickup, I'll believe you will be well satisfied and perhaps surprized with PCGS's grade. Good luck.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    The grade is in: XF45! Since I was only expecting XF40, I'm quite pleased. My guess is the coin's original skin is responsible for the slight grade bump.

Thanks for playing!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file