Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

TrueView Rescue

ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭
I bought this lovely coin, an 1859 25c in MS64 CAC, from CRO recently (pictures courtesy of CRO):

I am utterly convinced it is the same coin as the one pictured in this TrueView (which happens to be the headline coin for the date in Coinfacts):

Only, the cert numbers differ. My coin is in a newer holder with cert #33840745. The TrueView coin is cert #25293007.

First, do folks agree these are the same coins?

Second, if they do agree, is there any way to get that TrueView renumbered to match the cert currently associated with the coin?

Danke!

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they are the same coin.

I don't know what happened and I can't answer the other question
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the top I see a mark on the Eagles beak but not in the second, other than that they look identical...
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Perfect match. I wish plate matching was this easy....

Contact PCGS I presume to get things adjusted.
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "First, do folks agree these are the same coins?

Second, if they do agree, is there any way to get that TrueView renumbered to match the cert currently associated with the coin?"

Yes. No.

Lance.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TrueView represents how the coin looked at that moment in time. Any number of things could have happened between now and then which could have changed the appearance of the coin. It wouldn't make any sense to do that.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say they are the same coin. My question to you is: "Which picture is representative of how the coin currently looks?" If it matches the CRO picture, why would you want the TrueView matched up to your coin? As for having the TrueView renumbered, you would have to call and ask customer service.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cert# that starts with a 25 is a show grading number so maybe they had a hard time with the imaging at a show somewhere. It sure looks nicer in the new one!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like CRO's images better! Every once in a while, TrueViews are somewhat...disappointing.

The question is...which one looks more accurate in hand?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely the same coin.... Only suggestion on question two, is to call Customer Service. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Same coin, but I don't think they will switch the TrueView. They will most likely get rid of the old Cert and the TrueView.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same coin. Are you sure the second photo is a TrueView?
  • Options

Well, here is what the coin really looks like according to Heritage. Sold at Heritage

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same coin

? Send to be rephotographed if important to you
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 different photo sets by 3 different photographers and none of them are similar! Same coin in all 3...I like CRO's the best then the TrueView. Heritages is flat with no luster. Which photo set is the closest to what the coin looks like in hand?

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭
    In hand it looks most like the Heritage slab scan...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ranshdow

Now that you know it sold for $1057 at Heritage, are you happy with your price? image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going with it being the same coin, but it may have been worked on between those two photos.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

The cert# that starts with a 25 is a show grading number so maybe they had a hard time with the imaging at a show somewhere. It sure looks nicer in the new one!

Why do you think cert #'s starting with 25 are show grading numbers?

I have two Economy submission containing 18 coins from June 2012 that start with 25. I've never been to a show or had a coin graded at one. I'm sure there are other submissions from that same time period that also have certs starting with 25.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: robec

Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Why do you think cert #'s starting with 25 are show grading numbers?

I have two Economy submission containing 18 coins from June 2012 that start with 25. I've never been to a show or had a coin graded at one. I'm sure there are other submissions from that same time period that also have certs starting with 25.

I don't remember saying anything about all starting 25 number certificates are show.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the CRO photograph there is a mark/scratch on the hand holding the flag just under the ring finger. This mark/scratch is not present in the True View photo and is also not present in the photo of the coin in the slab.

Still it looks like the same coin.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That left hand, ring finger scratch is there on the TrueView, I downloaded it and enlarged it to 200%, it's a lighting issue, but it is there...hiding in a shadow...at least on my monitor. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: abcde12345

Same coin. Are you sure the second photo is a TrueView?

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ranshdow

Hmmm...

I'm afraid that if I purchased the coin from the seller's photos and received a coin that looks like the Heritage photos, I would have been disappointed to say the least.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toning by the date matches. They are the same coin. My money is on the TrueView not being quite so true after all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file