Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Myths

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
My apologies if this has been done before, but I can't find anything like it.

It sure seems like there are a lot of crazy, incorrect, and unsubstantiated stories out there. Without much effort these come to mind:

The $3 gold coin was produced to facilitate buying 100 3-cent stamps.

The type I SLQ was modified to improve Liberty's modesty

Martha Washington's silverware was used to create the 1792 half dismes.

X number of 1964-D Peace dollars were spirited out of the Denver mint.

A ruptured can of peaches toned hundreds of bags of Morgan dollars.

Please add your own:

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    1894s dime buys an ice cream cone.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    You are "Joshing me"

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    2000 nickels are worth $100
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you mean myths, not fables. Fables are short tales which provide a moral example.

The "I'm only joshing you" story of deaf-mute Josh Tatum creating the first "racketeer" nickels is a good example of a myth.

Was the story of Hallie Dagger's 1894-S "ice cream dime" also a myth? I always accepted it as a true (if rather embellished) story.

George and Martha Washington's silverware not melted for the striking of 1792 half dismes? Aw, say it ain't so . I love that story.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright mister smarty-pants. I'll change it to myths. image

English might be my first language, but you'd never know it. image

My greatest claim to fame is an understanding of its/it's and there/their/they're. Too bad I still sometimes catch errors in my grammar. Who knows how many slip by.....
  • Options
    Here is a numismatic fable.

Unlike some fables and all myths, it happens to be a true story. The "fable" part is in the moral of the story.

Once upon a time, a man came into a busy coin dealer's shop and sold the dealer four rolls of circulated Buffalo nickels.

The dealer, being busy, just peeked into the ends of the rolls but did not open them.

He paid the customer for 160 average circulated Buffalo nickels.

However, there were no Buffalo nickels in the rolls except for the end coins.

So the dealer paid for 160 Buffalo nickels but only got eight. The other coins were junky modern circ Jeffersons.

The unknown seller, a total stranger, had long since skipped out of the shop, never to be seen again.

The shop owner got the last laugh, though. One of the eight Buffalo nickels he did get was a VF-ish 1937-D 3-leg.

The moral of the story? Don't try to scam people, or you may end up scamming yourself.

(In other words, "what comes around goes around".)

Saw it with my own two eyes, when I worked as a helper to that dealer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BTW, BryceM, if you can master "there/their/they're" and know when and when not to use an apostrophe, you're way ahead of many Americans. image

Note I did not say "your way ahead of many American's". image

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Dealers operate on a 10% profit margin................ and in the next breath offer you 30% back of retail for your coins. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no Santa Claus in numismatics.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner
    There is no Santa Claus in numismatics.

...only him!

• Options
    bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    It is my understanding that Geo Washington did in fact use his personal silverware for some of the 1792 Half Dismes and that Martha is the model for it. I completely realize that there are many that would argue with what I personally believe but a strong case can be made for it. Don't knock it unless you can disprove it. Mind you it was common for numismatic authors and books and periodicals and also auction catalogs to state the same. I am not saying that is proof but it does prove I am not the only one who thinks this way. And nobody has disproven it in the least and that includes the latest book covering the subject "the secret history of the first us mint".
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't build a nice collection without a lot of money image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nobody has disproven it" is not a good argument. Citing primary sources that support your position is a good argument.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM

It sure seems like there are a lot of crazy, incorrect, and unsubstantiated stories out there. Without much effort these come to mind:

The $3 gold coin was produced to facilitate buying 100 3-cent stamps.

Perhaps your opinion varies with others... image

According to numismatic historian Walter Breen, Congress believed the new $3 gold coin "would be convenient for exchange for rolls or small bags of silver 3¢ pieces, and for buying sheets of 3¢ stamps—always bypassing use of copper cents".

In 1889, then-Mint Director James P. Kimball wrote that "it is supposed that the three-dollar piece was designed to be a multiple of the three-cent piece, for the convenience of postal transactions".

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 1917 Proof buffalos? And other denominations. Of course, there are some here that will say they are not myths but no one has apparently convinced PCGS.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw it with my own two eyes

to correct the "correct=er" I would only say that a fable isn't typically based in fact. there's a word to describe the 1937-D story, I just can't think of it right now.

to get back to the OP's question, it always strikes me as odd when the highest graded whatever is described as the finest known. oh, really??
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    37 Business Day turn-around for PCGS Economy grades.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Whoa! image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin shops that are family operations are usually fair in their price offers to customers who sell to them...

GS bid can be garnered on most classic US coins that are properly graded, even commemoratives...

The coin market is red hot especially in certain parts of the US like Nevada....

As long a coin is in the right holder and CAC sticker it should sell for retail...like hot cakes....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All AT can be identified visually.

Coin doctoring can be stopped.

There are no 1964 Peace Dollars extant.

All 1933 Saints are accounted for.

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Here is a numismatic fable.

Unlike some fables and all myths, it happens to be a true story. The "fable" part is in the moral of the story.

Once upon a time, a man came into a busy coin dealer's shop and sold the dealer four rolls of circulated Buffalo nickels.

The dealer, being busy, just peeked into the ends of the rolls but did not open them.

He paid the customer for 160 average circulated Buffalo nickels.

However, there were no Buffalo nickels in the rolls except for the end coins.

So the dealer paid for 160 Buffalo nickels but only got eight. The other coins were junky modern circ Jeffersons.

The unknown seller, a total stranger, had long since skipped out of the shop, never to be seen again.

The shop owner got the last laugh, though. One of the eight Buffalo nickels he did get was a VF-ish 1937-D 3-leg.

The moral of the story? Don't try to scam people, or you may end up scamming yourself.

(In other words, "what comes around goes around".)

Saw it with my own two eyes, when I worked as a helper to that dealer.

I love that story! image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bolivarshagnasty

That Dealers operate on a 10% profit margin................ and in the next breath offer you 30% back of retail for your coins. image

Which one is the Myth?

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Oh, after browsing for love tokens, I just thought of another myth that is still prevalent- not so much within the numismatic community, but at least with some of the general public:

"It is illegal to deface US coins or currency".

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Population reports are accurate. .................................ya, ok.............
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file