Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Researching Counter Stamps. Where do you look?

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here is a pieces that came in melt. The counterstamp was too alluring not to research.

Now not sure if my research led me to the right person, however the time period and location fit. What sources do you utilized while trying to find the person/place/business?

Charles PERRY (1816-1904) married first, 19 January 1841, to Emily BRUCE.

In 1846, Charles PERRY located on a farm near the "Cave" by St. Paul, remaining three years; then he removed to what is now (1881) White Bear township, Ramsey County, Minnesota, and made a claim of one hundred and sixty acres. This land he soon sold and then he lived at Lake Como until 1850 when he moved to Moundsview Township. T. M. Newson's PEN PICTURES OF ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA, p.20.

Charles PERRY (1816-1904) married second, 29 July 1848, to Aurelia MORRISSETTE, who was born 8 December 1828, Yamaska, Quebec, Canada, daughter of Jean Baptiste and Francoise (LeTENDRE) MORRISSETTE. Charles and Aurelia PERRY had thirteen children: Mary Ann m. Joseph AUGER; Damis m. George DOLPHY; Gilbert C. PERRY m. Emily --?--; Nellie M. m. (1st) George KINCAID, m. (2nd) Mr. FAYMOVILLE; Elizabeth O. PERRY m. Frank BALDWIN; Abraham E. PERRY m. Merence --?--; George M. PERRY; Anthony PERRY m. Sarah McDONALD; Agnes; Frank L. PERRY; Joseph PERRY m. Corra O. --?--; William PERRY m. Louise DEMERS; and the youngest, Peter PERRY, born 1872, married his niece, Olive BALDWIN, daughter of Frank and Elizabeth O. (PERRY) BALDWIN. J. Fletcher Williams, HISTORY OF RAMSEY COUNTY (1881), p.279.

In 1850, Charles PERRY purchased land at Lake Johannah, which he farmed for several years. He was the first and only settler for two years in the western portion of Moundsview Twp., and in 1850 he raised three acres of potatoes, it being the first crop raised in the township.

Comments

• Options
    working on images

testing out google drive stuff
  • Options
    Had to resort to Photobucket.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    There is a book by Brunk that is a good reference but I think it is out of print? The interweb might have some items cached somewhere.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had fairly good luck using google to find info on counterstamped coins.
    I didn't find a reference for this one, though.
    I searched for:
    counterstamped coin perry st paul
    and I got this page (which is based on the Brunk book and has been helpful in the past):
    http://www.exonumia.com/art/cmd.htm
    but C H PERRY & CO ST PAUL is not in the list under P.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    For melt, that is an exceptionally cool find. Thanks for sharing it.

I would think your best bet would be to research local business directories, but I am not sure if there are any good online resources for these. You could also scour through newspapers from the era to see it there are any advertisements of his. From a quick search of the Minnesota Historical Society online collections, Charles Perry is also listed as Charles Perret, so he may have changed his name in earlier years. Below is an image of his house on Lake Johanna ca. 1900, courtesy Minnesota Historical Society.

Minnesota Newspapers

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    SNAFU...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmcu12

There is a book by Brunk that is a good reference but I think it is out of print? The interweb might have some items cached somewhere.

Yes, I've heard Brunk quoted as "the" reference on counterstamps but have never seen it.

Closest I have is the Rulau token encyclopedia, which I believe occasionally mentions stuff like this. Only very occasionally.

No such reference could be all-encompassing, anyway.

I just use Google, too.

Cool find!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there's a way to access Brunk's listings online.

I remember doing that before, but didn't bookmark the site.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an interesting find... and you have done a great job researching it. With all the interest in counterstamps, I am surprised a more contemporary resource has not been created. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    An "All-Encompassing" reference would be far too staggering to compile. Far too many one-off counterstamps to all have the reported to a central site.

Unless someone is willing to host a web page and receive emails to compile a list.
    It could be made searchable with.....just no time for all that.

The hunt for info/history on these pieces is half the fun and gives us a better glimpse into the past at the people who handled these coins.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the new Brunk book and it doesn't show your counterstamp under Perry, or St. Paul. When searching online I use both

Exonumia.com

and

TokenCatalog.com

The Brunk book is available for sale on the Exonumia.com site I believe.

The Brunk book gives a brief description of the merchants when available, and usually known types of host coins etc where the online site just gives a semi complete list of known counterstamps.

The tokencatalog site covers all types of tokens including counterstamps and makes an attempt to collect photos and information.
  • Options
    Ive added 3 or 4 dozen new tokens to tokencatalog.com, mostly ND/MN/SD trade tokens.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jinx86

The hunt for info/history on these pieces is half the fun and gives us a better glimpse into the past at the people who handled these coins.

Oh, I agree. 112%. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    picked up my Brunk from rich hartzog www.exonumia.com or

email hartzog@exonumia.com
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file