Home Sports Talk
Options

Should PED users be honored as HOFers?

13»

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball has ZERO flexibility and cannot begin to think that opinions that differ from his have any validity. He is right and the rest of the world is wrong. Huge waste of energy engaging him in a civil discussion, again unless he physically saw something there is not a chance he will consider it might be true. OFCOURSE he will spin it to mention pedophile and other ignorant things to make his point, the guy probably has been getting laughed out of bars since he turned 21 and turned to safely arguing with people behind the safety of his computer screen.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: baseball

Sorry, wasn't clear. You are extrapolating on morality to realms outside of baseball such as race and socio economic status. I am speaking very specifically about baseball

I'm not extrapolating, I'm drawing on metaphors and analogies to try to better understand how I, you or any of us should feel about this. As I've already stated, that is how I choose to put in proper perspective the historical events of baseball. Because all of these other life experiences provide us with a guiding post that we can use to measure how we should best judge the past. If you believe that cheating is cheating, without any further context, then it's not at all unreasonable to logically conclude that Washington was a vile racist human being because he owned slaves.

So I take it you are one of those who do not believe in any absolute right or wrong, just infinite shades of gray? That sure would explain a lot about who I am talking to

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: perkdog
    Baseball has ZERO flexibility and cannot begin to think that opinions that differ from his have any validity. He is right and the rest of the world is wrong. Huge waste of energy engaging him in a civil discussion, again unless he physically saw something there is not a chance he will consider it might be true. OFCOURSE he will spin it to mention pedophile and other ignorant things to make his point, the guy probably has been getting laughed out of bars since he turned 21 and turned to safely arguing with people behind the safety of his computer screen.

You must be kidding me. I have changed my opinions on many things throughout my life, and right here on these boards as well.

You keep referring to me having to be convinced. But you seem to have your panties in a bunch because I refuse to believe your entirely flimsy supposition that everybody used or that I don't want to reward anyone who cheated, even if it is everybody. What am I missing here? And how sad and juvenile that you keep talking about bars and gyms. Seriously.

I am not at all one to not be swayed. But you have to actually provide SUPPORT for it. Not your incoherent incessant thoughts and options. But actual facts and support. So please do.

Gym and bar references are civil compared to you throwing out the pedophile card, seriously. I cannot provide validity to Griff using but I can say I bet he did, I'm not publishing it across the nation on radio or newspaper so don't get your panties in a bunch. People are entitled to opinions whether you like it or not, I promise you somewhere somehow many players are enshrined in hall of fames or received mvp awards and other recognitions that have been guilty of something, that is life and reality. Some people get caught while others don't, believe it or not that is a fact. I think Griff used, if it is ever proven 100% that he did or didn't then we will know the truth until then it's fair to suspect anyone from that era.
  • Options

Originally posted by: craig44

Sorry, wasn't clear. You are extrapolating on morality to realms outside of baseball such as race and socio economic status. I am speaking very specifically about baseball

I'm not extrapolating, I'm drawing on metaphors and analogies to try to better understand how I, you or any of us should feel about this. As I've already stated, that is how I choose to put in proper perspective the historical events of baseball. Because all of these other life experiences provide us with a guiding post that we can use to measure how we should best judge the past. If you believe that cheating is cheating, without any further context, then it's not at all unreasonable to logically conclude that Washington was a vile racist human being because he owned slaves.

So I take it you are one of those who do not believe in any absolute right or wrong, just infinite shades of gray? That sure would explain a lot about who I am talking to

Only the naive believe in absolute right or wrong. Life is almost NEVER than simple. But once again, are you suggesting that we should vilify George Washington because what he did was "wrong"?

Please explain when rape or first degree murder is not 100% wrong. I think you sir are the one lost on this topic

• Options
    Yes, Washington should be vilified for owning slaves. Do you really question that? I guess in your little world of 1000 shades of grey, slavery isn't always wrong. Is this what they are teaching kids in our liberal universities now? I guess that is an oxymoron now isn't it, liberal universities.

• Options
    Ok, good. Now we have determined that you must be one of those naive people who believe in absolute right and wrong. (And by the way, first degree murder is always wrong too) I am glad you have finally seen the light.

Now, what questions have I not answered?

• Options
    Wrong again. Owning slaves in 1820 was as wrong then as it is now. Running a concentration camp in 1944, also as wrong then as it is now. Morality is not a function of context. It doesn't make a thing moral just because most of society does that thing. Just look at the Nuremburg trials. Just because you would have fallen in lock step with the Nazis doesn't mean everyone would have.

• Options

Ok, good. Now we have determined that you must be one of those naive people who believe in absolute right and wrong. (And by the way, first degree murder is always wrong too) I am glad you have finally seen the light.

Once again, you're reading comprehension skills do you no justice.

Your naivety must be clouding your comprehension.

• Options
    Oh I can comprehend words just fine, you just have a problem stringing them together coherently.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this what they are teaching kids in our liberal universities now? I guess that is an oxymoron now isn't it, liberal universities.

The definition of an oxymoron is a contradictory term. As you seem to imply in your post above that universities are inherently liberal, what you mean is that the term is redundant, not oxymoronic. Carry on, now. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thx grote. To many things at once going on here.

• Options

Once again, you're reading comprehension skills do you no justice.

Your naivety must be clouding your comprehension.

LOL. You can't even see the complete lack of logic in your own writings.

Your newfound naivety has apparently hampered your ability to see I am make jest at your expense. Don't worry, you will get used to it with time. Growing up is hard work.

• Options
    I know it is a weakness, but I do so like being right.

• Options
    Ok baseball, it's starting to get dark. Why don't you go to bed now and let the grownups talk

• Options
    Back to the topic now. I think it's fair to say the majority of baseball fans would agree PED users belong nowhere near the hof.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just silly and one of the reasons why I have an issue with fans determining who is clean and who isn't. You, yourself, started off in this thread as a supporter of Piazza's induction into the HOF, and two pages later changed your mind and determined that he was a PED user, instead.

Grote , is this your first Craig44 thread? He always starts out for something then argues with himself until he wins himself over to his own side.

• Options
    Hey, you always win that way right bronco!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you always win that way right bronco!

Its 100% effective .

Anyway the forum has been slow someone has to get people talking about something , we don't want to go the way of the stamps forum. Over there there is a thread on page one complaining about the post office bumping the first class rate up to 13 cents.image

• Options
    I just like talking sports. It's fun. A great way to relax from the "real" world.

• Options

Gym and bar references are civil compared to you throwing out the pedophile card, seriously. I cannot provide validity to Griff using but I can say I bet he did, I'm not publishing it across the nation on radio or newspaper so don't get your panties in a bunch. People are entitled to opinions whether you like it or not, I promise you somewhere somehow many players are enshrined in hall of fames or received mvp awards and other recognitions that have been guilty of something, that is life and reality. Some people get caught while others don't, believe it or not that is a fact. I think Griff used, if it is ever proven 100% that he did or didn't then we will know the truth until then it's fair to suspect anyone from that era.

Well I think you've proven my point to perfection. Look at how rankled you are about my unfounded accusation toward you, which was obviously only meant to prove a point. And even with you and everyone here knowing that, it seems to have clearly gotten under your skin. So how the heck would you expect Griffey to feel with so many folks like yourself making these oft repeated accusations against him, without even a whiff of support? How does he ever prove a negative that he didn't use? It's not like his got every second of his life on camera to offer up as evidence, nor should he have to.

Personally, I could care less whether Griffey specifically used or not. At this point, I couldn't care less if there are users in the HoF already. What I do care is that we don't knowingly vote in obvious users because I think that sends the wrong message to everyone. Seriously, how do you explain that to kids? Because in virtually every walk of life, being caught cheating has severe consequences. Also, why even have testing today if its okay that cheaters can knowingly get into the Hall of Fame. Basically, we'd be saying do all the PEDs you want and be giving the players TONS of incentives for doing them.

There is no comparison to a pedophile and a steroid user by a professional athlete, I know your not litterly accusing me of being a pedophile or at least I hope your not. Either way I said I would bet money that he used, I never once said I was right or had proof that you desperately need to think that it's a possibility. I personally think Cal Ripken and Frank Thomas used as well, if there is evidence that they did or did not then please show me. If you can't then I'm well within my right to be suspicious, these guys made millions of dollars to play a professional sport and with that they become targets of people's opinions right or wrong. I'm sure those guys are living just comfortably and don't really care one way another what the general public thinks let alone what I'm typing here on CU, if your motivated enough to defend them then that is your right. Don't deny my right to have my own opinions. Either way they were all great players, that I'm sure we can all agree on right? As far as my comments on the HOF I don't have the correct answer on how to induct one player who might have snuck by as opposed to another guy who might have used to heal an injury faster to get back on the field. It's an imperfect world and again I don't claim to know how to fix it.
  • Options

I just like talking sports. It's fun. A great way to relax from the "real" world.

Agree with that~spirited debate is always fun, even when I don't agree~now that may be an oxymoronic statement, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

There is no comparison to a pedophile and a steroid user by a professional athlete, I know your not litterly accusing me of being a pedophile or at least I hope your not. Either way I said I would bet money that he used, I never once said I was right or had proof that you desperately need to think that it's a possibility. I personally think Cal Ripken and Frank Thomas used as well, if there is evidence that they did or did not then please show me. If you can't then I'm well within my right to be suspicious, these guys made millions of dollars to play a professional sport and with that they become targets of people's opinions right or wrong. I'm sure those guys are living just comfortably and don't really care one way another what the general public thinks let alone what I'm typing here on CU, if your motivated enough to defend them then that is your right. Don't deny my right to have my own opinions. Either way they were all great players, that I'm sure we can all agree on right? As far as my comments on the HOF I don't have the correct answer on how to induct one player who might have snuck by as opposed to another guy who might have used to heal an injury faster to get back on the field. It's an imperfect world and again I don't claim to know how to fix it.

First off, I do apologize for an aggressive analogy in getting my point across. I've already stated that I wasn't literally accusing you. Why in the world would I when I don't even know your name, or anything about you apart from these forums?

You certainly have a right to your opinions, but by that notion, I or anyone else has a right to challenge that opinion. You claim that I'm hardheaded and won't be convinced, but why is it that I'm the one that needs convincing and not you. Has it occurred to you that perhaps YOU'RE the one that's being completely inflexible in your point of view? After all, I'm saying let's not let cheaters be rewarded. Do I really need to be convinced that my position is so obstinate and irrational???

Apology not necessary but thank you just the same. My battle here with you was because you were so adamant that I was wrong because I couldn't furnish proof to back up my opinion, I know that you dont have proof that I'm wrong but I absolutely appreaciate your right to think I'm wrong
  • Options
    It's a bummer as there was no precedent to this. Bummer for the cheaters but no chance any of them should ever be considered for the hall. It would disgrace the Aaron's etc. All the roids players got millions for it. That is enough for them where they should now vanish from any MLB history.

In other words...phug em all the cheatin' ruiners of holy baseball.

Baseball does though need to eliminate the stupid unwritten rules, the almost ghey jump up and down celebrations, and must put in a rule: if ya charge the pitcher, they alone go at it for two minutes.
  • Options
    The number of spelling and grammatical errors by people calling other people stupid is hilarious. I never go to this forum, but I'm glad somebody directed me to this thread's poop show.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    The number of spelling and grammatical errors by people calling other people stupid is hilarious. I never go to this forum, but I'm glad somebody directed me to this thread's poop show.

So your the sidedish that nobody ordered?
  • Options

Apology not necessary but thank you just the same. My battle here with you was because you were so adamant that I was wrong because I couldn't furnish proof to back up my opinion, I know that you dont have proof that I'm wrong but I absolutely appreaciate your right to think I'm wrong

Geez, now who's being "childish"? If you want go off on that bent, at least get your facts straight. I NEVER stated that you were wrong. I stated that it's inappropriate to make accusations without any support. Who knows if you're right or wrong about Griffey but one would think they want to at least have some basis for such an accusation. But I guess what's good for the goose is not good for the gander. You get all worked up about a baseless accusation made at your from a person you don't know on the internet but Griffey should somehow be okay with all of the accusations made at him (it's not just you let's be clear and that it could public baseless articles). But whatever works in your hypocritical world.

My point was that you think it's absurd for me to have an opinion without basing it on evidence, and you got your panties in a bunch over a simple statement that is not that ridiculous. And I promise you that your boy Griff did not get offended
  • Options
    If anything, regardless if this thread is a poop show or not it's nice to see Sports Talk get a little life pumped into it
  • Options

My point was that you think it's absurd for me to have an opinion without basing it on evidence, and you got your panties in a bunch over a simple statement that is not that ridiculous. And I promise you that your boy Griff did not get offended

It's generally considered inappropriate to make baseless accusations. But if you don't know that at your age, then you're beyond help. If it's not a problem, then why did you get your panties all crumpled when I made baseless accusations about you??? And I promise you that anyone who was not a user would be offended at being talked about as if they were.

Generally speaking your correct but really a pedophile accusation is a bit over the top. It's all good, I have bumped heads with you over the years but in reality I do know your a well spoken poster and have a lot of good counter points. Im going to leave you with this, I don't have anything to base my judgment on and Griff very well might be 100% clean nobody will ever know.If we are going to base HOF judgement on players that have had hard evidence levied against them so be it and keep them out, for players that have never had any accusations based on evidence then put them in on their play. That's the best I can come up with
  • Options

What's even more hilarious is that you think it's grammatically correct to state:

"I never go this forum"

but I'm glad you posted that and added to the poop show.

What are you talking about? "To" was in my original post. You even quoted it that way.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dave99B
    Nope. The HOF is meant for the Griffeys/Ruth's of the world, not the A-Rods/Bonds. Cheaters will need to pay to get in, just like me.

Dave

I would bet money Griff used

As would I.
  • Options
    Hey, this has been fun. What should we talk about next...

• Options
    The upcoming NFL Season hopefully will bring on some more discussion here, I miss the old days when this forum had regular discussions with many long time posters. It's always fun to to take a break from hectic schedules and chime in here for good debates.
  • Options

What's even more hilarious is that you think it's grammatically correct to state:

"I never go this forum"

but I'm glad you posted that and added to the poop show.

What are you talking about? "To" was in my original post. You even quoted it that way.

Yes, I misquote your line. But my point is that the proper grammatical statement, since you seem to want to play grammar police, would be:

"I never come to this place"

*misquoteD

• Options
    And I wasn't initially playing grammar police. I was saying those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'm sure you'll have some retort that you think is witty, but I'm already done here. Carry on.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The upcoming NFL Season hopefully will bring on some more discussion here, I miss the old days when this forum had regular discussions with many long time posters. It's always fun to to take a break from hectic schedules and chime in here for good debates.

Well this thread escalated rather quickly.

FYI the epic college thread is on the horizon. Should be good for a 1000 posts

M
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

And I wasn't initially playing grammar police. I was saying those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'm sure you'll have some retort that you think is witty, but I'm already done here. Carry on.

The only one acting like they are in a "glass house" is YOU. You crash in on this thread with condescension and with a comment about the misuse of "grammar" in this thread. No one is here to be "witty" but that clearly shows where your mindset is at.

If you are going to comment on grammar (which is COMPLETELY lame to begin with), you should at least use proper grammar in your own posts so as not to look like such an obvious fool. And yet in the very post that you ridicule other people's grammar, you can't even correctly articulate you own. But who really gives a crap about any of this? Except, apparently you.

*your

Fine, I'm willing to admit that as soon as I came on to criticize the grammar of people calling other people stupid, that I was doing the same thing myself, which makes me a hypocrite. Are you willing to admit your own faults? I.e. That you shouldn't call people stupid to begin with and, that if you choose that course, you should at least be able to type a coherent sentence?

• Options
    I agree the whole grammar police thing is pretty lame. Most of us are typing on phones or tablets. If the auto correct doesn't get you the small keys will. I'm just not that concerned with spelling/grammar on a forum.

• Options

I agree the whole grammar police thing is pretty lame. Most of us are typing on phones or tablets. If the auto correct doesn't get you the small keys will. I'm just not that concerned with spelling/grammar on a forum.

The point wasn't that I care a lot about grammar. I don't. The point was that if you're going to call people stupid you better proofread your post, otherwise you look like the pot calling the kettle black. But baseball and I have made up (I think).
  • Options
    Dan, I certainly don't come here to write a second thesis or start a novel, I come to talk cards and sports. Sometimes I proofread, sometimes I don't. If the conversation is happening real time, I don't. I just type and post. I don't think grammatical errors mean someone is stupid. It may just mean someone is typing fast and in the moment. I guess what I mean is most people on forums are there to pass some time and just aren't that concerned about every period or question mark. I get your point, I just figure it is a little more relaxed here and it doesn't necessarily mean one is stupid because of a run on sentence.

• Options
    Baseball, Craig, Perk, You understand you are allowing yourselves to be suckered in to the Monty Pythons TWIT Olympics by continuing to post here. It sucks bad, but there is no arguing with the complete ignorant. Maybe just let it go and let'm conquer their world image
  • Options
    I'm mostly responsible for the thread turning into a combat zone, I made a quick post that I probably should have dressed up more than just a jab at a player that most fans have a lot of respect for. Baseball called me out on and deservedly so and I went on a bit of a tirade trading jabs. You guys read the thread so you saw the back and forth. Regardless we can all agree that we are here to discuss the topics of the sports world and we all have our own opinions that don't always mesh with each other. At the end of the day nobody got too out of control and got banned so we will carry on till the next topic at hand, cheers to all and looking forward to the next heated debate.
  • Options

I'm mostly responsible for the thread turning into a combat zone, I made a quick post that I probably should have dressed up more than just a jab at a player that most fans have a lot of respect for. Baseball called me out on and deservedly so and I went on a bit of a tirade trading jabs. You guys read the thread so you saw the back and forth. Regardless we can all agree that we are here to discuss the topics of the sports world and we all have our own opinions that don't always mesh with each other. At the end of the day nobody got too out of control and got banned so we will carry on till the next topic at hand, cheers to all and looking forward to the next heated debate.

Well stated, Paul. image

Go Jets!

• Options
    Hahaha Tim, looking forward to the Jets, Pats this season should be fun image
  • Options
    I don't think anyone needs to apologize or take any blame for anything here. It was just heat of the moment spirited debate stuff. I have no problem at all with baseball or perkdog. I hope we can have more debates in the future.

I do agree with baseball that if you don't have anything to add to the debate or are just chiming in with condescending comments against another poster, just excuse yourself from the conversation and watch the fireworks