Home Metal Detecting

July 24, 2016: Older Gold heart signet ring, and 3 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
It's been exceptionally hot and dry here lately. Talking 80s and 90s and little to no rain. So I can't do much park hunting for fear of killing the grass. However, the Silver Beach was calling me yesterday. It was an earlier tide, and it wasn't supposed to hit the mid 80s until the afternoon.

So got out and started on the slower side. First target was a buffalo nickel. That's promising. Decided to hit the second side with more targets, but also more junk. It seemed like junk after junk and seemed like forever, but managed a silver Washington - 1944. Haven't cleaned it yet.

A bit later got what I'm sure is what's left of a war nickel. Pretty worn though.

About halfway through the hunt got just another low tone. Didn't even think anything of it because there are lots of low-tone junk here. BUT, this one ended up being a nice 14k gold heart signet ring. You can see how harsh the soil/mud is on everything, including gold. Need to polish this one up, but should come out pretty good. Scale isn't with me, but will weigh soon. My guess is it's between 3 and 4 grams.

After the hunt I was going through the other change and picked up a Jefferson but was surprised to see 1943? That doesn't make sense... it'd mean it's a War Nickel. But it's not the standard charcoal-grey silver. Turned it over and saw the P mint mark. I remember finding one nickel with some crust, but disregarded it because it was shiny underneath the small layer. Any ideas? Maybe all of the silver leached out? But weight doesn't seem too far off. Unfortunately it'll be a couple weeks until I can weigh it. Certainly an odd one.

Also got 4 live bullets

what's left of a ring that was gold plated at one time

small junk heart pendant

what I believe is the top part of a pocket watch (the winder)

small thing that is shaped like a mini bowling pin

got a second buffalo nickel

one wheat cent

HH all!

8/7/16

finally got around to finding this pic:

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭
    This would be a great hunt for most people; but, sounds like your site is getting depleted.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its always nice to see old gold like that image
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are back to the ammo beach image Do you ever get into the wet sand to find all of this stuff? It's been a pretty good area to give up gold too. It's been pretty hot here in the mid-west too. When I've detected I just try to stay in and out of shady areas or just stay home. Lord M would just be out at night with his headlamp. image
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice goodies you got. Not sure what is going on with that supposed war nickel. Could just be the environment doing harsh things.

Been WAY too hot here to get out lately, temps 95-100 and heat index higher than that. Might see if I can get out next weekend, early of course!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that beach would be worth water hunting.... I have no idea what it looks like, but from the sand to the wave trough can often yield some really nice treasures... particularly gold jewelry... Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that the weather is warm, it might be worth venturing a few feet past the low tide line into the water. BUT, I suspect it will be a mess of mud, clay, shells, and water and may be more frustration than it's worth. I doubt a simple scoop would be sufficient. One guy was telling me a fisherman waded in and got stuck. Left his boots in the water and all.

Worth a shot in the summer though. A little salt water shouldn't hurt, unless I sink in!

PPC, most of this stuff is found in the low tide area. The area above high tide is more of a sandy area and subject to detecting. I've found a few silvers in there, but most of the goodies have come in the mud.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... sounds like a messy search area... they make some nice long handle scoops for such digging.... I would definitely get one for that type of water/mud/shell hunting.... with the amount of finds you have had, I suspect it may be worth it. Cheers, RickO
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the gold! image That ring certainly has some age to it.
    Man you keep pulling gold up at a nice rate!

Still a great haul overall as well.
    I see a few targets that have the potential to be madness-inducing if encountered during a water hunt: The mini bowling pin and the skinny bullet below it look like they'd enjoy slipping through the scoop, over and over again....

Saw Ricko's comment about water detecting and was thinking the same.. I should send you a nice digging tool as a present for you to take out there, complete with integrated GPS module! image
    ...but then I saw your response. Ugh, sounds like a place I've done very well at but rarely go to, due to the effort required. The clay is absolutely brutal and destroys even the sturdiest of scoops at a rapid rate. You have to apply so much force to get the clay loose that everything gets bent out of shape and soon some of the welds break. I've busted the bucket clean off one scoop, falling a$$ backwards in the process of course.

Like the fisherman you mention, I've gotten stuck too. Not a pretty sight, but would no doubt have made for an entertaining video. Messy, exhausting, and aggravating stuff - but very rewarding if you come up with a nice find.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro