Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questions about 1862 Dated Alaska 2 Toowah*Update*

bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
A couple of years ago I was looking for presentations for the Glendale Coin Club and I ran across a video about Christopher Bechtler that sparked an interest for me in territorial gold and silver issues.

Link to the Bechtler page with story and video

I enjoy the history of these items, and I always look at them in hand when possible at auction lot viewing etc. I am no numismatic scholar, but I do enjoy reading about coins and tokens of all kinds. Usually the issues that interest me are far out of my financial reach, but recently I purchased an Alaska 2 Toowah that is certified as (Gilt Original) on the label, and listed as "Gold Original" on the cert verification page ATS. I know the easy answer is to send it back ATS and have them correct it, but hey that wouldn’t be as fun.

When I was looking up some background information on the token I found that there seemed to be at least 3 different versions of these tokens, 5 and 7 star reverse and possibly two different restrike issues, both in gold and gilt brass. I scoured past auction results on Heritage, Coinfacts and even ebay to find out if I could determine by auction descriptions and photos which the one I planned to purchase actually was. The dates on the reverse and dentils were the only real stand out thing I could see from photos. The good news for me was that the designs seemed to match those of tokens listed as Gold Original, and one listed as N. Joseph Issue. Both with much higher selling prices than I planned to bid.

Many of the previously sold coins on Heritage listed the weight in gold, either 1.33gm or 1.24gm on the label (great how am I going to figure that out from photos) and a catalog number of Gould-Bressett 108, and many of the ones listed as gilt/brass had a Circ 1940 notation on the label. Well, armed with the little info I had, I bid on the token and won. Now I have it in hand and although there is no way I’m cracking it to weigh it, at least I can do a bit more digging.

I found a pamphlet and a hardback book on the bay “Alaska’s Coinage Through The Years” by Maurice M. Gould and Kenneth Bressett and purchased the less expensive pamphlet hoping that it would help me figure out all that I needed to know. What I did figure out was that there is one passage in the book on these tokens GB 108. 5 stars and gold. Struck originally in the 1909-1915 era and originally sold at the Alaska Yukon Expo in Seattle and later in what is listed as the 1915 Expo in the book, and I would speculate this is referring to the Pan Pac.

Now after this long but hopefully not too boring story I get to my questions for those that may know more about this issue, or someone who owns the hardbound version of this book.

1. Does the hardbound version of this book give more info than the one passage about the 2 Toowah? And if so, does it give information about the restrikes and original variances?

2. Is there a way to tell which token this is without actually weighing it?

3. Is there another reference about these tokens that would give more information? (I already used my friend google, and looked in Ralau, but hey I could have missed something.)

Thanks

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file