Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this what's hot in the streets now?

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand. Are you saying that's a spurious countermark?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Yes, on what is possibly a genuine coin. The countermark not only looks modern, but not even of the correct style to be contemporary to the coin. It's incuse for one thing. Host coin may be one of the CHinese super-fakes, they do gold as well, but I can't say for sure from photos. That c/s is another story though.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    Hmm. If that's as you say, then yes- a waste indeed.

If, on the other hand, that were a genuine counterstamp of the period, I think it would be pretty neat. But I know nothing of such.

I can't really tell if it's incuse or not, based on the pictures. The shoulder of the "Napoleon" bust looks as though it could be raised?

Anyway, there were surely some incuse counterstamps at the time?

Not that I'm suggesting anything one way or the other on the authenticity of this- I have no idea.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭
    Napoleon "met his Waterloo" in 1815. Somewhat curious that this would show up on an 1817 coin....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bailathacl

Napoleon "met his Waterloo" in 1815. Somewhat curious that this would show up on an 1817 coin....

Hmm. I hadn't thought about that. But then I wouldn't have automatically associated that laureate bust in the counterstamp with Napoleon, either.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, seller is in Poland - no red flags there!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Doesn't look like a 'super-fake', it has the same characteristics as the middle eastern copies of the 1960s (though I've never seen one dated this early). The coin is very poorly struck up for this issue with central die fill (look at the region between the horse's leg).
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Walter
    Doesn't look like a 'super-fake', it has the same characteristics as the middle eastern copies of the 1960s (though I've never seen one dated this early). The coin is very poorly struck up for this issue with central die fill (look at the region between the horse's leg).

That area appears this way due to the metal being squashed by the counterstamping on the opposite side. I do agree that the areas not affected by the c/s lack some of the sharpness you would expect to see on original examples in such condition.

I really hope the host is a fake, otherwise it would be an even bigger travesty.

Edit: fixed some of my dyslexic spelling image