Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grades in on some neat varieties.

Turn-around times aside, a decent bunch of newps to add to my primary sets.

One disappointment was the 1811-HJ/TH variety that I have been hunting for a while and I thought that I finally got my hands on a problem-free condition (currently in a straight-graded NGC holder), but PCGS seems to disagree. I will post close-ups of it later for your opinion. It has a planchet defect, which I think is a minor clip, that PCGS might have considered damage. I'll resubmit this coin back to NGC to update the label with proper variety designation and will continue the hunt for another example.

#1 - Mexico 1802 Mo-FT/M over-assayer in XF45. Picked it up raw from Jesus Vico last year. Nice original XF example and the first one certified by PCGS. Fills a registry slot in my Charles IV Set

#2 - Mexico 1811 Mo-HJ Draped Bust in XF45. Years ago when I first started dating my soon-to-be-wife, I gave her this coin as a present and she kept it carefully preserved all these years. With the wedding in just a few weeks, I thought it would be nice to get it preserved in something more durable than a napkin image As an added bonus, it fits nicely in my Ferdinand VII Draped Bust Set

#3 and #4 are both Mexico 1801 Mo-FT/M over-assayers. Both were picked-up in unattributed NGC plastic. Both graded AU53 (one crossed at the same grade, one downgraded as expected). I already own an AU50 example as part of my set that will now be replaced by the second one below.

#5 is the 1811 Mo-HJ/TH that did not cross. I thought it was a clip - PCGS not crossing at ANY grade seems to imply they think it was damage. Would love to hear your opinion on it. First image is by Phil @ PCGS, second is from Heritage.

Decent bunch, overall. 2 new registry slots filled and one upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice. What is the pick up on the over assayers? Tough to see in the pics?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, gents.

Boosibri - there was a number of reverse dies with an over-assayer. These two came from different dies, as well. In terms of characteristics - All have remains of the underlying "M". You can see it better on the blown-up images:

Cert # 81209929

Cert # 81209928

Same deal with the 1802 - just a hint of the underlying "M" next to the T:

Cert # 81209096
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coins Roman. Congrats on the wedding, but man that will put a DENT in the coin funds. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    Originally posted by: brg5658

Great looking coins Roman. Congrats on the wedding, but man that will put a DENT in the coin funds. image

Thanks and yes, absolutely dented image

I uploaded images of the 1811 overassayer that failed to cross.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 is my favorite because it's a coin that has real meaning. Congratulations on your nuptials, Roman!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, I love them all! Glad these finally made it through grading.

The 1811 HJ/TH looks as made, whether it's a clip or a messed up planchet, but that's hard to prove. You can even see the planchet "wrinkles" going into the area in question on the obverse, and it looks like the edge is partially there. This one might make it through on another try, so maybe we'll find out in 2019? image

Another thought, I've called PCGS customer service before to ask about a coin not crossing or not grading genuine. They can look at the notes and will sometimes share them with you. A trade dollar that I thought they didn't like due to surfaces was actually rejected due to improper weight. I weighed it and surprising to me it was off. You never know, it's worth a try.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OriginalDan

Great coins, I love them all! Glad these finally made it through grading.

The 1811 HJ/TH looks as made, whether it's a clip or a messed up planchet, but that's hard to prove. You can even see the planchet "wrinkles" going into the area in question on the obverse, and it looks like the edge is partially there. This one might make it through on another try, so maybe we'll find out in 2019? image

Another thought, I've called PCGS customer service before to ask about a coin not crossing or not grading genuine. They can look at the notes and will sometimes share them with you. A trade dollar that I thought they didn't like due to surfaces was actually rejected due to improper weight. I weighed it and surprising to me it was off. You never know, it's worth a try.

image It's worth asking about. I sure would've thought that was a clip.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jgenn

#2 is my favorite because it's a coin that has real meaning. Congratulations on your nuptials, Roman!

Jack, it will definitely stay in the collection long after any other coin image

Originally posted by: OriginalDan

The 1811 HJ/TH looks as made, whether it's a clip or a messed up planchet, but that's hard to prove. You can even see the planchet "wrinkles" going into the area in question on the obverse, and it looks like the edge is partially there. This one might make it through on another try, so maybe we'll find out in 2019?

Dan, I'll give them a call today. I've had PCGS body bag coins in the past as "planchet defect" just to turn-around and grade it on a resubmission. Just have to confirm what the reason for not crossing is. In any case, not going to play this game until much later in the year (or 2019, like you said image ).

• Options
    Just chatted with PCGS customer support. It looks like it did not cross because it was determined to have been cleaned (code 92) ...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Just chatted with PCGS customer support. It looks like it did not cross because it was determined to have been cleaned (code 92) ...

Definitely an old cleaning. A few months on a sunny window sill in an old manila envelope would probably make it gradable! I've seen worse graded!

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, looks like an old cleaning if that's what they're worried about. Man the PCGS world graders sure are tough on old cleanings, I have a similar looking 8R they also rejected. But hey at least you know why and you don't need to fixate on what seemed like the more obvious reason.

Very rare variety and I'd argue it stands on its own without any plastic required.
  • Options

The 1811 HJ/TH just crossed on the second try at grade (AU50)

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    The 1811 HJ/TH just crossed on the second try at grade (AU50)

It is clearly a clip - straight across from the clip is the apparent weak rim caused by the Blakesley Effect.

Cleaned or Not Great job!