Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Red 18th Century Copper

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, red brown but what do you expect from a coin minted in 1775. Picked this up from a coin show in Birmingham this weekend. I grade MS64RB.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful copper, congrats.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's seriously nice!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stayed red after learning what was going on over in Massachusetts-Bay in April.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin Boosibri!

I've seen (and own) a few 18th century Conder tokens with RB designation and copious amounts of remaining red. I know member rwyarmch here has a Conder Token designated full RD from the 1790s. I noticed John at CRO does have a full RD (MS65RD PCGS) graded 1774 halfpenny in inventory right now -- probably the only full RD I've ever seen of a George III issue.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a stunning example, congrats!!!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed.

Is something going on with some of the lettering on the reverse, particularly the B in BRITANNIA?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good eye LM. This coin came from the collection of Colin Cooke who out together the best set of Farthings on record. In the catalog of this sale this coin was listed as maybe having a B over R in Britannia.

From the catalog:

BMC 917. Obverse 1. B over R in BRITANNIA ?. BU Full Lustre, exceptional. Extremely rare in this grade.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! It sure does look like B over R.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Cool! It sure does look like B over R.

Agreed - nice pick-up!
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find, Boosibri.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! You are making us jealous over here, Boosibri. The world, or at least Great Britain and parts of the Continent, appear to be your oyster. We have to slog through tables of coins in places like Baltimore and Orlando.

Tom

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don