Home Metal Detecting

Last two hunts: 5 silvers and some other goodies

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Was getting tired of my old spots and picking up a few scraps here and there, so decided to expand my detecting area and try some new spots. Picked out a few spots about 45 minutes away. The first spot was a high school. Nothing exciting except some modern coins, and a wheat cent. Second spot yielded a silver Roosevelt and sterling ring within 20 minutes. Then things slowed silver-wise for a bit. Got a bunch of other goodies during the hunt:

God bless America pin

apparently circa 1900-1930 Army button

mid-1800s era flat button with some cloth left

Games Galore Atlantic City token

Daniel Webster token

1863 (or so) Civil War token!

1930s Lucky Duck Coin token - front reads: LUCKY DUCK COIN - SCOOTER PROOF - (DUCK) - DUXBAK - LEATHER - BELTING - SOLES - CHAS. A. SCHIEREN CO. BOSTON

Vintage "White Mountains" horse

Update: Total of 23 wheat cents from the two-day hunt. Since they're all 19XX, the 19 was left off: 36, 41, 29, 26, 28, 17, 52, 35, 42, 36, 49, 25, 19, 38, 40, 18, 26, 13, 35, ?2, 26, dateless, 34

Two IHCs from day two were 1899, 1901

Later in the hunt got a 1919 Merc and another silver Roosevelt

Also got 2 IHCs - 1901 and 1883

Got out yesterday again and not too much, but got what looks like some kind of fob. Appears to be fire damaged, but tests silver. Not big, maybe size of a nickel. Any ideas? Zot, can you pull another incredible ID out of your coil?

Think I also got a couple IHCs yesterday but will check them later. HH all!

what the Daniel Webster token looks like non-dug (from eBay)

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its always nice to see silver in the mix image
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you think "scooter proof" might mean?
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Misspelled? Shooter proof maybe.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Updated the wheat cent total and dates for the two days, along with the two IHCs from day 2.

I'm thinking now that "fob" may have been part of a bracelet, or something that attached on both ends. Looks like that "bottom" area is missing the connecting bar.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds....that site sure has some vintage coins and items..... must have never been detected before..... bound to be more good stuff coming from there...Cheers, RickO
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mint marks on ANY of those cents?

Wow, is all I have to say!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I think one of them may have had a mintmark, but it could have just been a corrosion blob. Not too many D or S coins (or O, CC, etc) here in New England. Mostly Philly issues. Scanned through my wheat cent listing for 2016 and a few D issues, but didn't see any S wheats.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Got out yesterday again and not too much, but got what looks like some kind of fob. Appears to be fire damaged, but tests silver. Not big, maybe size of a nickel. Any ideas? Zot, can you pull another incredible ID out of your coil?

Wow - some very nice finds!
    Great variety. That second spot certainly appears worthy of further visits!

As for ID... on that thing?! Jeez... That task has "hold my beer" written all over it.
    I'll probably have a go at it. If I'm successful, you'll never hear the end of it. I'm not liking my chances though image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    About your fob:

I don't have any brilliant insights, so this is just best guess:
    (actually, "wild guess" might be a more accurate description)

- Pocket watch fob? (based on shape of the hole; a leather strap goes through there?)
    - Looks like a lion head to me (first picture (i.e. the one showing it in small size) actually works best for me to see that)
    - Victorian? - and maybe quite early at that. It has a rather hand crafted look to it
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff. Though it would be scoffed at in traditional numismatic circles, I like the green patina on that one CWT.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Though it would be scoffed at in traditional numismatic circles

A LordM sighting! image

That is a big reason I got away from traditional numismatics, especially anything graded or high-end. Prices kept going up and up and too many collectors scoff at what others collect. I find treasure hunters are more down-to-earth.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WhiteTornado

Though it would be scoffed at in traditional numismatic circles

A LordM sighting! image

That is a big reason I got away from traditional numismatics, especially anything graded or high-end. Prices kept going up and up and too many collectors scoff at what others collect. I find treasure hunters are more down-to-earth.

Indeed.

I guess I have a split personality, because I've walked in both worlds. That gives me an appreciation for either discipline. I think some detectorists can get bummed out when they discover that the treasures they dug are worth little or nothing to mainstream numismatists. One just has to remember that dug relic coins are a whole different arena and should be evaluated with a different philosophy. A common-date Merc dime certainly doesn't twitch my antennae as a collector, but as a digger, it can put a big dumb grin on my face when it comes out of the dirt. There was more on this in a recent thread.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.