Home Precious Metals
Options

With silver over $20 are you tempted to dump ... or buy?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
My own level of confidence in silver being able to maintain that level for long is low. What is yours?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Got a bunch & ready to sell.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotta buy and get a bunch more. And then do that again. And one or two more times.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Its not high enough for me to sell much so I'm holding. I won't buy until it gets down close the $14/15 again.
    Same thing for gold in its similar ranges.
    COA
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I would rather buy at $20 with it still showing strength than at $17 and it showing signs of falling.

It's actually a good time to recycle the collection. Sell some of the stuff I've had for awhile and take that money to add some new collectable bars.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget about what 'dollar' value silver is at, just accumulate ounces as much as you can.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    i'm tempted to sell....mostly the weight of a monsterbox of silver coins is what holds me back.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still buying although I'm being selective what I buy and what I'm paying. Let's face it---America's financial house is not in order and the nation debt will keep rising no matter who gets into the White House.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell some that was bought much cheaper, then buy it back when it gets cheaper.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    just sold some 90% and will probably sell some more
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget about what 'dollar' value silver is at, just accumulate ounces as much as you can.

Agree.

Let's face it---America's financial house is not in order and the nation debt will keep rising no matter who gets into the White House.

Agree.

If you manage to buy at the right price or sell at the right price, it is tempting to start believing that you can time the market. If you are pretty good at analysis, maybe you will win more often than you lose.

Just remember that you are playing in a game that has some sophisticated players and they have every intention of separating you from your assets.

I've evolved from a speculator into an investor and then into a money manager. The difference is that I'm no longer as interested in making a big gain as I am in making sure that I only sell when I foresee the need for some capital, and I only buy when I have "too much" cash.

I tailor my own moves to my needs, and not to the jerky market fluctuations that may or may not be the result of things beyond my control.

Within those constraints, I still make every effort to buy well and not to sell when at a disadvantage.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually a good time to recycle the collection. Sell some of the stuff I've had for awhile and take that money to add some new collectable bars.

This is kinda my plan, too. Selling some duplicates and replacing with cooler, collectible bars. Of course, I'm always ready to add when a good deal comes around, like the gorgeous Delta bars that were available here a few months ago...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has ever gone broke selling at a profit.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OPA
    No one has ever gone broke selling at a profit.

This is another one of those quotes that I equate to "You can't eat gold!"

There is some truth to it, but it doesn't tell the whole story and may not always be in one's best interest.

I have a friend who gets very irritated when he hears that phrase; he sold a fairly good sized lot of Apple stock around $5 a share, and at the time was pretty happy that he made a profit... ..... I wouldn't call him broke at the present time but he certainly isn't in the best of positions.

Bottom line: profit is good, but one should probably take a close look at fundamentals and what is occurring in the world when making those decisions.

----- kj
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill wait, fwiw.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinspacks

i'm tempted to sell....mostly the weight of a monsterbox of silver coins is what holds me back.

Won't a MB fit inside of a FRB?
  • Options
    Who would you sell to when nobody seems to be buying? There is a roll of 2016 ASEs on the BST for $428 delivered with no apparent takers. With Kitco bid spot at $20.25 that's only $1.15 over which is a lot less that you could get them for from the mint. When the GovMint.com deal was goin on people were goin ape***** over buying them.

A couple weeks ago I couldn't sell rolls to save my soul.

Checking the mint's production figures month to date they have produced just 250,000 ASEs over 5 working days which is around 20% of their normal output.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BAJJERFAN
    Who would you sell to when nobody seems to be buying? There is a roll of 2016 ASEs on the BST for $428 delivered with no apparent takers. With Kitco bid spot at $20.25 that's only $1.15 over which is a lot less that you could get them for from the mint. When the GovMint.com deal was goin on people were goin ape***** over buying them.

Checking the mint's production figures month to date they have produced just 250,000 ASEs over 5 working days which is around 20% of their normal output.

Unless you're desperate for immediate funds...the BST would be the last place to sell bullion ASE's...eBay completed 2016 rolls prices are in the $460 area.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you're desperate for immediate funds...the BST would be the last place to sell bullion ASE's...eBay completed 2016 rolls prices are in the $460 area.

$460 on ebay will only net you about $400 after final value and paypal fees, $410 if you have the top rated seller 20% discount..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

$460 on ebay will only net you about $400 after final value and paypal fees, $410 if you have the top rated seller 20% discount..

Your math is flawed....Net FVF will amount to $22 after taking into account the 20% eBay kickback. (6% FVF $27.60 less 20% of $5.50) PayPal fees..$14.00....Net to seller around $424.....
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 832 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

Agree.

Let's face it---America's financial house is not in order and the nation debt will keep rising no matter who gets into the White House.

Agree.

If you manage to buy at the right price or sell at the right price, it is tempting to start believing that you can time the market. If you are pretty good at analysis, maybe you will win more often than you lose.

Just remember that you are playing in a game that has some sophisticated players and they have every intention of separating you from your assets.

I've evolved from a speculator into an investor and then into a money manager. The difference is that I'm no longer as interested in making a big gain as I am in making sure that I only sell when I foresee the need for some capital, and I only buy when I have "too much" cash.

I tailor my own moves to my needs, and not to the jerky market fluctuations that may or may not be the result of things beyond my control.

Within those constraints, I still make every effort to buy well and not to sell when at a disadvantage.

THIS about sums it up for me, but I paid off all my debt first

BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your math is flawed....Net FVF will amount to $22 after taking into account the 20% eBay kickback. (6% FVF $27.60 less 20% of $5.50) PayPal fees..$14.00....Net to seller around $424.....

That is true if you have an ebay store, but if not, FVF is 8% AFTER 20% discount (standard FVF is 10%) and that does not take into account Paypal fees. From the ebay FVF calculator on a $460 bullion sale:

Your estimated fees

Insertion fee $0.00

Final value fee $46.00

Listing upgrade fees $0.00

Discount -$9.20

Total $36.80

If you don't have top rated seller status, the FVF is $46.00

Even if you do have a store, as you described above, and net to seller is $424, that is still less than Bajerfan's $428 asking price on the B/S/T.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

So if you offer free shipping, that's another $6 and the stuff isn't insurable so who eats the cost if it gets lost? Just doesn't seem worth the hassle to me.

Seems to me that one should be able to sell here at prices competitive or a hair lower than the JMBullions, etc. My luck here the last year or so has been piss poor.
  • Options
    Seems to me that one should be able to sell here at prices competitive or a hair lower than the JMBullions, etc. My luck here the last year or so has been piss poor.

Your items might be overpriced or no demand. Keep in mind, less than 100 members are perusing the forums at any one point. ( I have never sold nor do I intend on selling anything on the BST. However, I've purchased numerous items at what I considered at the time, bargain basement prices.)
  • Options

Your items might be overpriced or no demand. Keep in mind, less than 100 members are perusing the forums at any one point. ( I have never sold nor do I intend on selling anything on the BST. However, I've purchased numerous items at what I considered at the time, bargain basement prices.)

Well I was mostly selling silver. The $428 per roll price sounds like a good deal now, but having bought the GovMint.com stuff for under $350 per roll, I'm not interested in buying at current prices. Right now, there's too much out there.
  • Options

Well I was mostly selling silver. The $428 per roll price sounds like a good deal now, but having bought the GovMint.com stuff for under $350 per roll, I'm not interested in buying at current prices. Right now, there's too much out there.

And trying to sell on the BST is to a small following, who for the most part, are very price conscious. As an example, the 2016 c&c sets, that are available from the Mint @ $14.95 are selling for $20+ on eBay, but would unlikely sell for no more than issue price on the BST.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at $20. At $25 it would be tempting and I'd likely unload 100ozs or maybe even 200 then.
  • Options

And trying to sell on the BST is to a small following, who for the most part, are very price conscious. As an example, the 2016 c&c sets, that are available from the Mint @ $14.95 are selling for $20+ on eBay, but would unlikely sell for no more than issue price on the BST.

Well, I never used to have trouble selling here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Not at $20. At $25 it would be tempting and I'd likely unload 100ozs or maybe even 200 then.

IF, you can find a buyer. The smart money will be backing up the truck now instead of waiting for the price to go up.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Keep on buying, now is the time.
  • Options

IF, you can find a buyer. The smart money will be backing up the truck now instead of waiting for the price to go up.

Aren't the big bullion houses always buying? They were during the 2009-2011 run-up.

P.S. APMEX is $425 for random date rolls of eagles right now.
  • Options

Aren't the big bullion houses always buying? They were during the 2009-2011 run-up.

P.S. APMEX is $425 for random date rolls of eagles right now.

They are paying 99 cents over spot; assuming they don't find issues with the coins. And that is for $10,000 or bigger lots. Surely one should be able to get more than that elsewhere. FWIW JMBullion doesn't buy ASEs from anyone but an AP.

And it appears that they were only buying the random year coins.
  • Options
    Provident is paying $1.58 over spot per 2016 ASE's @ $21.93 per coin
  • Options

Provident is paying $1.58 over spot per 2016 ASE's @ $21.93 per coin

Not bad, but would be nicer to sell to the same folks that they will.image Doubt they are interested in single rolls.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but, like you, many here backed the truck up at the same time and bought quite a few groups of 10 at that time as well.

Makes it harder to sell here for the higher prices.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Depends on what you paid for what you have and whether you bought to stockpile or sell for profit. Personally I'd sell interest seems to be up right now. Silver % coins may be tougher but it comes back to what you paid. I think 10-15% profit maybe hold but over that in a big enough stockpile results in a decent profit. ASEs I would classify as more of a collectible than a silver investment. People are buying rolls for grading to increase the money. I think more people buy for that reason than silver content just my opinion.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on past history this rapid run up will most likely be followed by a downward correction. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding a roller coaster when it comes to silver prices.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish somebody told me when it was time to buy. image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Mid-December last year?!?!image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cohodk

I just wish somebody told me when it was time to buy. image

I told you on gold and oil. Do I have to do everything for you image

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Yeah, but, like you, many here backed the truck up at the same time and bought quite a few groups of 10 at that time as well.

Makes it harder to sell here for the higher prices.

That was months ago. Unlikely that all of those folks are still tapped out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gregwash
    Depends on what you paid for what you have and whether you bought to stockpile or sell for profit. Personally I'd sell interest seems to be up right now. Silver % coins may be tougher but it comes back to what you paid. I think 10-15% profit maybe hold but over that in a big enough stockpile results in a decent profit. ASEs I would classify as more of a collectible than a silver investment. People are buying rolls for grading to increase the money. I think more people buy for that reason than silver content just my opinion.

The silver bullion American Eagles, that have been produced by the tens of millions each year for the last 10 years, in my book do not qualify as a collectable coin but strictly as a "bullion play" with a build in premium above spot.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think $25 silver is more likely before $15 silver, but what do I know?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

The silver bullion American Eagles, that have been produced by the tens of millions each year for the last 10 years, in my book do not qualify as a collectable coin but strictly as a "bullion play" with a build in premium above spot.

I think they're more collectible in nature not solely just a bullion item. People will collect them to continue on with their sets and dealers will buy to get graded. I don't see the same thing with bars. Just my opinion. I see your side though since technically they're bullion coins.
  • Options

I think they're more collectible in nature not solely just a bullion item. People will collect them to continue on with their sets and dealers will buy to get graded. I don't see the same thing with bars. Just my opinion. I see your side though since technically they're bullion coins.

Not technically, they are bullion coins per the US Mint.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and half dollars have been produced by the zillions. Do they qualify as collectible?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

Not technically, they are bullion coins per the US Mint.

They're collectible because they have different dates, and a few varieties.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sentiment on silver is generally neutral in the 15-30 range, I'll usually net add below 15 and be a net seller above 30.

In between, selectively add interesting pieces for diversification/collection

My strategy worked exactly twice in the last 40 or so years, big-profit-wise image

It also leaves me with a big collection, currently.

C'mon $30!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from the summer FUN show down in Orlando. Dealers were selling silver eagles from $22 and up on the floor. The show seemed kind of slow to me and I was there on the first day but the bullion guys seemed to be selling a lot and had more action at their tables. The dealers with the big "buying coins" signs had a lot of traffic also. The Heritage auction was a ghost town during the day. I bet there was an average of 5 people in the room the whole time I was there with my son so that leaves 3 other bidders image

I made some trades with coins I didn't want anymore for silver and the dealers seemed pretty happy to be giving me silver instead of cash but I think that had more to do with them not really selling much and I was pretty early in the show.

My son ended up getting a 7 oz 999AG NWTM silver shotgun bullet for $23 an ounce. It is really cool. Here is one like it on eBay.

Silver Shotgun Shell
  • Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin

Just got back from the summer FUN show down in Orlando. Dealers were selling silver eagles from $22 and up on the floor. The show seemed kind of slow to me and I was there on the first day but the bullion guys seemed to be selling a lot and had more action at their tables. The dealers with the big "buying coins" signs had a lot of traffic also. The Heritage auction was a ghost town during the day. I bet there was an average of 5 people in the room the whole time I was there with my son so that leaves 3 other bidders image

I made some trades with coins I didn't want anymore for silver and the dealers seemed pretty happy to be giving me silver instead of cash but I think that had more to do with them not really selling much and I was pretty early in the show.

My son ended up getting a 7 oz 999AG NWTM silver shotgun bullet for $23 an ounce. It is really cool. Here is one like it on eBay.

Silver Shotgun Shell

Says 12 gauge. Is it 3"? That thing is cool.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put it next to a 3 inch duck load and it looks identical.