Home Metal Detecting

6/29/16: 6 Silvers including 1940s ID Bracelet. Also Mississippi 5 Cent Sales Tax Token!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
I hope this works. Spent probably two hours getting photos to upload...

Got out on Wednesday to the Silver Beach. I’ve been away on business for a couple days, so just getting around to getting everything organized.

It was supposed to be about 80 degrees, so I wasn’t sure how well that’d go over. Loaded up on sunblock and went out. Surprisingly with the breeze it wasn’t so bad.

Decided to stay exclusively on the slower side to see what was left. Kind of surprising what was still there! Of course was hoping for gold, but it turned out pretty well after all.

The most surprising thing was getting a high tone on the TDI SL and seeing an ID bracelet come out. At first I thought it was junk because it was rusted. But it was intriguing because it was a high tone, and there were hints of a silver color. Of course, put it away before inspecting fully and kept detecting.

Also got a 1960 Washington Quarter, 1944-P WTN (first silver of the day), and a 1940something Roosevelt. Got a nice sterling cross that rang in as a low tone. Could see why after cleaning… all of those cutouts and being somewhat thin.

Another target turned out to be a wheat cent, moved the coil over in the hole and got another signal…and it turned out to be a small silver heart charm, a nice surprise! Weighs in at a hefty .3 grams. Then rescanned and got a third signal…this one high tone. Thinking possible silver coin, or whatever object that heart came from, it was a bit disappointing to get some kind of brass washer.

I think the biggest surprise after the ID bracelet. Was a Mississippi 5 Cent Tax token. What the heck is that doing in New England? You’d think if you’re traveling from the deep south that you wouldn’t need to carry that in your pocket to the beach. Pretty neat though.

Also got 2 junk rings, a copper religious pendant, a art deco-looking earring, some kind of copper rivet thing (on the right in the photo), and some curved piece of metal at the top that I have no idea what it’d go to. Maybe some kind of decorative piece for a canoe/boat? Also got a bathing suit buckle with all four corners bent. I believe this was human done, as it seems odd to be done by nature.

Hoped to get back yesterday, but with it being the start of the 4th of July weekend, I wanted to get off the roads as soon as possible.

Got home and checked out the ID bracelet, and could see a STERLING mark!!!! Was able to clean it some using the wet salt method, and could see JANE and the last name is a bit obscured. Checked the back, and there’s part of a date showing… believe it’s 8-20-42 but the last digit of the year is corroded over right now. Any ideas on best way to clean? Could try the aluminum foil method, or maybe electrolysis, but I’ve never done it before.

How do you miss an 11.7 gram sterling bracelet previously with a PI machine? This guy doesn’t know.

Also checked out the small heart charm, and it looks like someone etched E + E on the back. There looks to be more, but can’t really make it out. Always neat getting that personal touch…has a story to tell.

Hope to get back soon. Until then, HH all!

P.S., does anyone know how to work Collective Coin? Photobucket isn’t uploading photos today for some reason so I tried Flickr which was irritating. Then tried Collective Coin. You can multi-upload photos, but each one needs a coin category listing, and I can’t figure out how once you do the first one, to get to the second one uploaded. So I then had to upload each photo individually and do it one by one. Not fun at all.

You can see the rust… could just be what it is. Some silver coins came out rusty colored.

Bent buckle

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Also got 9 wheat cents, two copper memorials, two 1940s Jefferson nickels, and a clad quarter
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is quite an eclectic collection of finds.... amazing that the bracelet was not found before... cannot make out the last numeral in the pictures.. looks almost like another 4... Cheers, RickO
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Good to see the beach is still producing! Six silver is an impressive haul indeed.

Originally posted by: pcgs69
    Any ideas on best way to clean? Could try the aluminum foil method, or maybe electrolysis

If it's sterling silver and with crust looking rather stubborn I'd go with electrolysis for sure. With that much clean metal exposed, the crust will come off in no time. Just make sure there's no parts of copper wire in the water itself, as that would cause discoloration of the bracelet.

The rust on the bracelet is interesting. Never seen that on silver myself. Then again, I haven't detected on Battery Acid Beach either! image

The silver cross is very nice. I'm amazed at the number of crosses and religious pendants you find. I have a grand total of one myself, and not a single one in the past 10 years.
    People must have blown all their cash on the pendant and carried them on chains made of paper in your neck of the woods! image

How do you miss an 11.7 gram sterling bracelet previously with a PI machine?

Very easily! image

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice day for sure!

That silver bracelet is crusty but I bet it would clean up nicely.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • Very cool finds! I haven't detected in years might have to start back up again. It looks like the second name could be "Dorean ". Maybe a middle name but a Google search did show it could be the last name. Do you ever try to track down original owners if there's a name on it? It would be neat if you could find Jane. Probably unlikely but still neat.
    Cleaned up the bracelet a bit. Still not perfect, but a lot less crusty than before. The links are looking decent but there are still some troubled spots. I'm leaning toward 8/20/43 now as the date. I highlighted what I can see so far. What do you guys think?

gregwash, pretty scarce finding something with a name on it. I suspect this lady would have been born 1930 or earlier, putting her at 86, if not older. There are no other identifying markers such as school, date of graduation, etc. So something like this is slim-to-none on tracking down the original owner. You always wonder what happened to cause it to fall off.

What do you guys think?

Zap it! Just do it! image
    Originally posted by: Zot

What do you guys think?

Zap it! Just do it! image

my mom told me not to give into peer pressure
    You're serving up that pitch on purpose of course, but here you go:

Go play with this buddy - it's friendly, fun, and really safe! image

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you rule out that date being a birth date?? It could be.... and then she would only be 73.

Cheers, RickO
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Neat finds as always! I've never tried electrolysis, so I'm no help for you there. Let me know if Barbie and her friends also pressure you into trying it image.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds for sure.