Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"New" VAM Book Warning

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
This week while teaching at the ANA summer seminar I noticed a VAM book that a student had brought in that had a cover I had never seen before. Someone he knew bought it about a month ago. It had a glossy soft cover and was a bit thinner than the 4th edition. I started flipping through it and realized it was not only a new reprint of the 2nd (1976) edition with a 2016 printing date shown, but a poor quality one at that. The student says the book had been purchased on Amazon. I found it and left a review, but Amazon says the book is currently unavailable.

Anyway, if you are ordering a VAM book online, be careful to make sure you are getting a 3rd or 4th edition and not this 2nd edition reprint.

Comments

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the title and author of the book in question?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: giantsfan20

What is the title and author of the book in question?

The title and author is the same as the VAM book -- Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis. The cover design is a new one.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information.... I often pick up books for good prices... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that works for me as well. thanks for the info.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think the chinese are moving into the reprographics division?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Ken Bressett has told me of instances in the 1960s
    when counterfeit Red Books were being printed in
    China for sale to American coin collectors. 1,200,000
    copies of the authentic Red Book were sold in
    1964, so it makes sense that counterfeiters
    would see it as a profitable target.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights