Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thief steals 94-year-old Richmond woman's Obama commemorative coin

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
From television station KTVU News:

(Richmond is located near Oakland and San Francisco, California)

A 94-year-old woman was attacked in her Richmond home this week and police say the suspect robbed her of some items she can't replace.

Richmond police say around 1:45 a.m. Monday (June 27 2016) a man broke into Betty Reid Soskin's second floor apartment, entering through a sliding glass door. He later made his way into her room where she was asleep.

The suspect managed to get away with an iPad, laptop and cellphone. He also took some commemorative coins including one given to her by President Barack Obama for being the oldest park ranger in the U.S. Soskin says most items she can live without, but the coin she received from the president in December is dear to her.

Police describe the suspect as a white male in his early to mid-20s 5'8" with a slim build.

Officers are also warning people to be on the lookout for the coin. "It will be very obvious when somebody comes in and tries to sell the coins or tries to trade it for something else," says Richmond Police Lt. Felix Tan.

The television broadcast only showed one side of the coin:

It appears to be an award token or "challenge coin".

http://www.ktvu.com/news/167592710-story

Let's hope that the thief gets caught and she gets her coin back.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    I was expecting to see a picture of a colorized Kennedy half dollar or Silver Eagle with Obama's face on it.

Poor lady. It's a shame that someone would do something like that. image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sad that someone steals something that is worth nothing...except sentimental to the previous owner.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8

something that is worth nothing

You would be surprised at what some of the limited/rarer challenge coins sell for. A few years back, I had a few LAPD Hollywood Shootout Challenge coins that I picked up for $5.95 each. They sold for over $150 each at auction.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a vile scumbag. Never ceases to amaze me how low scum can stoop.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaleElf

You would be surprised at what some of the limited/rarer challenge coins sell for. A few years back, I had a few LAPD Hollywood Shootout Challenge coins that I picked up for $5.95 each. They sold for over $150 each at auction.

Now that I have seen the "coin" that was stolen (I could not see it at work, and thought that I heard someone say it was one of those Kennedy Half Dollars with an obama sticker on it), it does appear to be a challenge coin. I replied hastily.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Indeed, some challenge coins, like some commemorative badges are worth a fair bit. Many if not most have minimal value. Clearly in this case it was the sentimental value and the fact the Obama gave it to her.
  • Options
    I believe that her coin has a unique reverse and possibly has her name engraved.

I met Ms. Soskin once in August 2012. She gave the presentation at Richmond's Rosie the Riveter WWII Park during our visit.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just low. Poor lady image. I guess it could have been worse and the rat could have harmed her too, but still. The rest is replaceable, the challenge coin is not. Well, unless the POTUS gets wind of this and gives her another one, but it still wouldn't be 'hers'. Hopefully the (fill in the blank) will try and pawn it somewhere and she will get it back.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    message deleted.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PaleElf

I had no idea that they did that coin. That shoot out was such a mess. I'd love to see a pic of the coin if you have one.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that Betty wasn't injured or maimed, but the media played this one up good. I'm sure it won't take long for our fearless leader to send her another medal. After all, he is proud of being a giver-outer. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's dime man? He's an expert on the Barack Obama commemorative coins. I'm pretty sure he has a couple of em.image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to our local news, the scum bag did hit her in the face a couple times and stole jewelry etc. as well. I hope the "right" person catches him.....
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Secretary of the Interior has said they will replace the coin, but that's not the point.
  • Options
    The local ABC television station is reporting that the White House is going to send Betty a replacement coin.

They station also showed a different coin, a National Park Service (NPS) commemorative silver dollar.

The theft is not Betty's first brush with numismatic fame.

On March 9, 2016, she visited the San Francisco Mint to take part in a ceremonial striking of NPS centennial commemorative half-dollar coins.

From SfGate News:

It’s not easy leaving the U.S. Mint in San Francisco, not even for a 94-year-old woman.

That’s because the U.S. Mint makes coins, and it wants to keep the coins it makes, and it doesn’t particularly trust its extra-special invited guests, even when they’re 94 years old.

The 94-year-old woman was Betty Soskin, the oldest National Park Service ranger in the U.S., whom Mint officials had invited Wednesday to be the guest star at a special ceremony. Her job was to press a black button attached to a coin press and make the first half-dollar in the Mint’s new commemorative coin series honoring the Park Service. This she did with flair, pushing the button on cue and sending a shiny coin sliding down the chute while about two dozen guests applauded politely.

But when it came time to leave the Mint, Soskin was subjected to the same rigorous metal detector check that all departing Mint employees must go through, to make sure none of the Mint’s stock in trade is hitchhiking out the door with them. And she flunked it, six times in a row, setting off a bank of red lights as if it were a pinball machine.

“Oh no,” she said, sweetly, after a Mint cop asked her to remove her Park Service tie pin, and then she said, “Oh my goodness” when the cop asked her to remove her belt, then her shoes, then her jacket, then her watch, then her Smokey Bear hat, and each time she set off the red lights again.

“Is it my bra?” she asked with a twinkle, but it wasn’t that. Finally a guard used a handheld wand and asked Soskin to stretch her arms and her legs and, at long last, the U.S. government decided that it was reasonably certain its oldest park ranger was on the up-and-up and she was permitted to depart the premises.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the original challenge coin is found... it is special to her.

I have a large collection of challenge coins... some of which were given to me

by recipients of 'special' coins. Yes, some are quite valuable on the 'market'.

That is a funny story about Ms. Soskin and the San Francisco mint... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " It takes a thief " was a series, once. Now it's a way of life.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Airforce 1.... Obama has a huge number of token items just for giveaways.... things like decks of cards, pens, etc........ they have little value, but the fact that the actual President gave it to you makes it huge....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    Ranger Betty received her replacement medal on Sunday.

This article has a photograph of her holding the medal, identified as a medal this time:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/br...placement-presidential

Betty Reid Soskin, a park ranger with the National Park Service, shows the replacement medal she received from Sally Jewell, U.S. Secretary of the Interior, at the 72nd annual anniversary of the Port Chicago explosion at the Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial in Port Chicago, Calif., on Sunday July 17, 2016.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they have little value, but the fact that the actual President gave it to you makes it huge....

Buy the office, not the inhabitant.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really happy that she received a replacement coin.... and so proud of her, at her age, actually fighting her attacker.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sending a new coin is very nice, sending a team of Delta operatives to apprehend the pathetic animal who is responsible would have been nicer.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sad that someone steals something that is worth nothing...except sentimental to the previous owner.

it seems to me thats the sad news is that they are out there. its a sick mind for sure.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they catch the guy and the lady gets her special coin back... I'm a sucker for a happy ending...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file