Home U.S. Coin Forum

The worst packaging job EVER.

I just received an Ebay purchase of a PCGS coin where the seller put the slab in a basic white letter envelope (no padding or anything around the coin), put 3 Forever stamps on the envelope and mailed it. Somehow I received it and the slab isn't damaged. Seriously, it's not possible to package a PCGS coin worse than this. Fortunately it was a $13 Ebay purchase and no real loss if it did get damaged and I would have to return it with the seller paying for postage.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've wanted to do the same. Get a $25 coin, sell it to someone for half price, then I get to pay postage because shipping is free. But I didn't.

Rather, I just put a stamp on the slab.

hehehe
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DollarAfterDollar

I've wanted to do the same. Get a $25 coin, sell it to someone for half price, then I get to pay postage because shipping is free. But I didn't.

Rather, I just put a stamp on the slab.

Just use a permanent marker to put the address on the slab, and you're good to go.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I sort of have that beat...a really nice MS 1964 Kennedy half for $7 ($2.50 shipping) mailed in a white business envelope with a single stamp. The heads was literally embossed onto the corner of the address side, the reverse onto the back of the envelope. No damage that I could see...like no one knew what was in there, ha!

eBay...it's not for everyone.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone feels your pain. Just the other day I think someone said PayPal "stole" .30 from them.

Actually years ago I had a board member held in high regard here on the boards do the same thing and with a much more valuable coin. So I guess I feel your pain.image No matter the value, this should not happen. I say this and now the big ebay sellers might come in and "justify" it's OK, and brow beat me down.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just rec'd an eBay coin that was in a small envelope with just very light/small bubble padding along the inside----coin was loose inside with no cardboard safety flip or heavier padding.

The coin took a full week to get to me, so God only knows what kind of abuse the USPS subjected it to.

The coin is SLIGHTLY rotated in the slab (not very noticeable---maybe 1/8th of an inch) and I am sure that it happened during shipping.

I was tempted to email the seller to tell him but after reading his feedback; I determined that he'd likely not even care and that I was lucky to have received it, at all, and with no chips or cracks to the slab.

I did leave him positive feedback, b/c I really like the coin and he shipped it the day after I purchased it (not his fault that the USPS took a full week to deliver).

Packing was terrible, though.

Yep, eBay is a GAMBLE....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fave unhappy experience was with the Ijit who threw 2 - 1 ounce fine silver medals loose in to a 5 X 8 manila clasp envelope. Dint take long for for one of 'em to rifle thru the seam of the envelope and perhaps into the pocket of a Postal worker. I went 1 fer 2 on that genius.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I would expect a coin inside "the worst packaging job EVER" to arrive damaged, but it didn't. Sounds like it sufficiently did it's intended job.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, after the $0.30 thread and now this, your next thread is required to be full of rainbows and noodle salad. image
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SeattleSlammer

Ok, after the $0.30 thread and now this, your next thread is required to be full of rainbows and noodle salad. image

And there better be a bloody unicorn involved as well. Not an actually bloodied unicorn, but you get the drift

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the OP's coin arrived pristine- in the same condition (slab and coin) had it been sent padded and boxed and then padded and boxed again.

How is this the "worse packaging job ever!"?

peacockcoins

• Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    The seller probably did that so he could make a buck. (I know that is no excuse but some people just have no clue.) I bought an inexpensive foreign coin and the seller just put the coin in a regular white envelope and mailed it with no protection at all. The only thing in the envelope was the coin-not even in a 2x2 I was surprised that I got it. These high speed machines used by the post office usually tear up stuff like that.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm probably not the only one to receive raw coins taped to the inside of a plain envelope?

They don't slide around like that.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once was pulling my mail out of my PO Box. As I was walking away a Silver Dollar I purchased on the Bay goes bouncing away from me! I messaged the seller and of course received no reply!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh the trials and tribulations of ebay.... yet people continue to patronize the system. image Cheers, RickO
  • TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddick
    So the OP's coin arrived pristine- in the same condition (slab and coin) had it been sent padded and boxed and then padded and boxed again.

How is this the "worse packaging job ever!"?

Because anyone with a brain would know that packaging a coin like that would significantly increase the chances of damage or theft. Seriously, would you want to receive a coin packaged like that? Me, I'd rather a seller take a little care in packaging what I purchase.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a circulated Modern commem several years ago that came in an empty white envelope with a hole in it and no coin and no paperwork. You could tell from the indentions on the envelope that the coin had been in there at one time. I emailed the seller and got a refund.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could have been worse, had he only put 2 forever stamps on it image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

seeing an au early dollar pcgs in a white envelope will be a hard one to beat.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    people will cut corners to save a buck and packaging is the first thing to be cut down on
    Originally posted by: OldEastside
    It could have been worse, had he only put 2 forever stamps on it image

Steve

Mailing a slab as a small package weighs 3 oz and costs $2.45 in postage. Three forever stamps only comes to $1.47 in today's postage. Because the slab was in the envelope, it wouldn't qualify for the letter postage rate as it's not flat and is rigid where the slab is. So I was a little surprised it didn't get returned to the seller or I didn't get a postage due notice in my mailbox.

Besides this badly packaged coin yesterday, I also found in my mailbox a summons for jury duty in August. What a wonderful day at the mailbox!!!
    Originally posted by: silverpop
    people will cut corners to save a buck and packaging is the first thing to be cut down on

The customer has a very low Ebay feedback rating. I wrote the seller and explained the advantages of using a bubble mailer and using the Ebay label with tracking included. The person wrote me back to thank me for the help and explained that she was brand new on Ebay.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard a couple of stories from friends of mine who worked at another grading company. They once received a box containing loose coins- no holders or other packaging; the coins were just rattling around in the box. Another time, they received what looked like a roll of duct tape. The sender had laid out a piece of tape, stuck each of the coins to it, then rolled it up and shipped it.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    My worst was a type 3 gold dollar raw from eBay that was mailed in a bubble mailer and nothing else. No 2x2 or plastic holder nada.

Magically it made it to me with no damage from the counting machines at the PO and now sits in a pcgs 66 holder image
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reference .30 from Paypal and worst packaging ever.

Deleted my own comment. 10 second rule.
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I have been lucky! I have received over two hundred packages over the years from ebay sellers and never anything like what has been mentioned here.
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had an issue with packaging from ebay purchases. I did once buy a coin on the BST here where although the coin was in a slab inside a bubble mailer, the label was taped on the package with 2 small strips of regular scotch tape. I can't imagine how it didn't come off. Also bought a group of 4 or 5 slabbed coins that came in a bubble mailer inside a plastic bag. When it got to me all of the stacking edges were in little chips in the bottom of the bag.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, I will take raw coins valued under $40 put them in a plastic 2 X 2 then into a cardboard sleeve that is taped closed. I then tape that square container to the inside of a plain white mailing envelope with a forever stamp and a 22 cent stamp and mark the envelope "non-machinable" in red. I've never heard a complaint AND the buyers never claim to have not received the coin.

Above $40 I spend the $2.45 and ship in a bubble envelope. I try to not sell coins in slabs under $40.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cmerlo1
    I've heard a couple of stories from friends of mine who worked at another grading company. They once received a box containing loose coins- no holders or another packaging; the coins were just rattling around in the box. Another time, they received what looked like a roll of duct tape. The sender had laid out a piece of tape, stuck each of the coins to it, then rolled it up and shipped it.

Thank you.
    Now that is the "worst packaging job EVER".

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file