Home Metal Detecting
Options

This is the truth...

Often I'm more jealous of some of you pulling old Mercury Dimes out of the ground than I am of people posting their pictures of their MS65 coins. I can imagine the excitement of finding a Mercury Dime can rival or beat other coin collecting excitement.
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    You're right about this. I collect proof coins, 1858-1915. Digging a Mercury dime is more fun than buying a new coin for my collection.

Even when I was a little kid, Mercury dimes and Buffalo nickels were gone from circulation. Every time I dig one, it's a physical connection to a world that existed before I was born.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercury dimes are special indeed.... the only rival - indeed surpasses - them is when a WLH is dug..... only happened to me once, long ago when I still hunted parks etc.. Neat thing was, it was my birth year.... image and in great condition. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    One of these days I hope to find a US silver coin, and a Mercury dime is exactly my "goal" and a quite likely candidate. I have a few wheat cents from the right time period.
    I'll happily take a Roosie but a Merc would be way sweeter. Beautiful coins!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a great feeling seeing silver come out of the dirt. It's one thing buying it, but it's another thing to find something someone dropped 50+ years ago and has been hiding there all these years. Just imagine how many people walked over it and had no clue it was there, waiting to be found.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hunt in the desert, far away from any people and don't use headphones as I'm the only one to hear the noise....that's how far out....just scares the rabbits and snakes. Hear me coming for a mile or more!

But, when i find something strange it just befuddles me to no end. Some dozen years ago I had just parked on a paved road and was heading off into a familiar area and just not paying attention to anything. Did turn the detector on and was kind of dragging it a couple of inches off the ground behind me. Eliminates the brush problem....Had a mile or so to go when I got a beep....what?? Of course I stopped, turned around and located the beep...not too far down, an inch or two was a diamond ring! Now this was just nuts....I'm in the middle of BFE, not on a trail, just hoofing it across the desert...

Had to take a look around for more hits. Saw about ten feet away a machete, just laying there minding it's own business. Another 5 feet or so beyond was a huge 8" blade buck style knife....WTF? Another 20 feet in the same direction was a light blue tee shirt in a bush....Now I think I'm sweating....another WTF is going on here.

Back to the truck, off to nearest phone at a bar and call to the local sheriff...He met me out there about an hour later and explained that I had come across a location that they had found a body some 18 months or so ago...Whew...body removed!

Was willing to give him what I found but he said the case was closed and the perp was spending his days in the pen..Showed him the diamond ring in my pocket and asked what should I do with it. Shouldn't someone get it back? He said no, the body was a male and had no clue why there would be a ring there. He told me to just give it to the first lovely girl I saw!!

The ring was smallish with a 10 pt or so diamond. Looked real and certainly was white gold as it was marked so. But thin and small.

Later that day, on the way home, I stopped to get gas and there was a little 8-10 year old girl sitting on a park bench outside the station entrance door. Yup, she got the ring...ran to her Mom who was pumping gas and off they went....lickity split....never saw a quicker exit!!

Put a smile on my face and made my day....

You can find some really weird stuff in the desert.........

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Wow... great story Bob....

I lived in Phoenix for eight years and did a fair amount of desert scrambling. If you get way out, sometimes you find old shacks (miners, recluse, pioneers). One friend found and old rifle under some floorboards... all wrapped in old oiled cloths. Another found a large nugget under a stone in an old fireplace... I was never so lucky...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the few things left to do in this life that I haven't taken serious time for is metal detecting. Funny; I have a shop full of coins, but the excitement of a good dig is ingrained. It's the "boy in man". I tell every girl "You're not going to take the boy out of us, PERIOD".
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Wow... great story Bob....

I lived in Phoenix for eight years and did a fair amount of desert scrambling. If you get way out, sometimes you find old shacks (miners, recluse, pioneers). One friend found and old rifle under some floorboards... all wrapped in old oiled cloths. Another found a large nugget under a stone in an old fireplace... I was never so lucky...Cheers, RickO

yes, weird stuff in the desert....Once up a dead end canyon I found an old sedan from the 30's so rusty and modified that I could not tell the make. It had been used as a shelter with an attached lean to. The motor was used to run the rear rims to turn a pulley that looked like it must have been attached to a pump of sorts to push air down a vertical shaft (no bottom that I could see!).

There was no tire and it was up on blocks of wood for support. Lot's of old gas and oil cans around and of course the pile of tin cans and trash you always find. Could not determine why this hole was dug as I found nothing in the slag pile..no beeps on the detector...just an old hermit that dug a hole? Wonder if he was still in it, lol.

I have lots of these stories from the many years exploring.....

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never get tired of diggin' Mercs.

So you can imagine how I feel digging a Barber. image

If you want to hear and see somebody getting entirely too excited over a piece of junk silver, watch me at about 5:40 in this video.

Or, if you have 23 and a half minutes to kill, watch the whole thing.

That one's my magnum opus of detecting videos. I won't be making any more like that, most likely. But it was fun.

A silver dime I wouldn't look twice at in a junk lot can make my whole week if it's a detector find. These little mini-adventures are all the richer for me than simply buying nice coins. For that reason, I have never sold any of my dug coins. Though many if not most of them are junk, they are perhaps the most sentimentally valuable to me out of all my coins. Each one carries vivid memories of the day I found it.

PS- John/goldrush- the detector in that video might look familiar to you. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Finding treasure is, indeed, the dream of boys...and it does not change when we become men. One of the reasons I became a cache hunter, and stopped park/grass hunting, is the dream of finding 'the big one'...which, of course, adhering to the creed of cache hunters, will never be a story told...Cheers, RickO