Home Sports Talk

The Indians!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Cleveland Indians have quietly snuck up on the AL Central Division as well as the rest of the Baseball World, currently in the midst of an 11-game winning streak. No matter who the Team is and what the competition might be it is an extraordinary feat in MLB to win 10+ games in a row. On top of that, the Tribe has managed to go undefeated at home during the month of June for the first time in franchise history.

I will admit to being caught off guard by the Team's recent success. Early in the season they weren't playing well and struggled to play .500 ball, toying with that mark until they were around 22-20, when they started to pull ahead. Now they've opened up a lead over KC at seven games.

With all that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see them lose tonight.

The current streak has been a real Team effort. The starting pitching has been solid, the hitters have come through in the clutch and with power, fielding has been near flawless and there haven't been any major injuries. The only injury the Indians really have is to Michael Brantley who is arguably the best all-around player on the Team.

They also have Terry Francona at the helm and he seems to be making all the right moves.

Go Tribe!!

Al H.

Comments

• PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Go Tribe
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Hit like Mays, run like Hayes.
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Make it 12 in a row! Go Tribe!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, Chisenhall cranks another one and Salazar overcomes a shaky start to stay hot. he looked like he was having trouble with his grip and lost a few in front of the dish. must be nice to be able to throw an extra 2-3 mph when you need to!! he also fooled a few guys badly with a nice change-up.

on to Toronto.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland fans got the Championship fever
    my hope is for Terry Francona to do for Cleveland what he did for the Red Sox. he's a solid Manager who's been around the game almost from the womb, tagging along with Tito to the ballpark. after seeing a bio about him I have often wondered if I actually saw him at the park during Tito's final few years with the Tribe.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy watching the Indians this year. The Cubs, Giants, Rangers and Indians all look like the teams to beat

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    and the "streak" is at thirteen!!!

man, the story tonight was Carlos Carrasco and his change-up. he had a really good hitting Toronto Team back on their heels almost all night. how the heck can a guy throw a 95-96 fastball that moves and then come with a change-up that's around 91, with the bottom falling out as it crosses the plate?? on top of that he had a nice slider and a curve that was working, the end result was 14 K's in 7.1 innings with runs of 3-4-6 in a row!! the relievers pitched good, the defense was solid and the Tribe continued with hitting and power, cranking out two solo shots. they remind me of the 2007 Cleveland Indians(I think that was the year) when they had Boston on the brink of elimination in the ALCS and came apart to lose the last three: great young starting pitching, good relief, hitting and sound defense, nothing over the top but solid.

they are now on the brink of Franchise history, if they can only win one more game and stretch the "streak" to 14.
    you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the "streak" rolls on for a Franchise record fourteenth win, a whopping 19 inning marathon. this game was so ridiculous that the Indians finally went to their Saturday starter and the Blue Jays were forced to use not one, but two position players as relief pitchers. just plain crazy. the scheduled start was 1:07 but it was such a long game that I got home from work at 6:35 and still had a chance to see the last two-and-a-half innings!!! I think the totals at games end included 34 base runners stranded by both Teams. and they both had their chances, it was like no one wanted to win.

now that the Tribe has passed into uncharted Franchise territory I wonder how long they can keep rolling.
    and the streak ends, but not without a fight!!

the Tribe overcame deficits of 3-1 and 5-3 then tied it at 6 but just ran out of gas. in the end it's probably that the Blue Jays pitching staff weathered yesterday's marathon better than the Indians. I wonder what the benches were thinking in the 8th inning when it was tied at 6??!!??
    after a very sound 17-1 shellacking by the Blue jays on Sunday, Cleveland has rebounded against the Tigers to continue a run on another streak --- 13 consecutive home victories.
    Originally posted by: keets

after a very sound 17-1 shellacking by the Blue jays on Sunday, Cleveland has rebounded against the Tigers to continue a run on another streak --- 13 consecutive home victories.

It's amazing that even with this streak that Cleveland ranks 29th out of 30 teams in home attendance @ 17,000 per game. I would have thought with being so bad for so long that would be bringing the people out.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    they haven't been so bad for so long as you suggest. they lost two World Series' since 1995, came close to another in '07 and have been competitive on/off since then. I think part of the attendance(which isn't really that low) has to do with games early in the season since the numbers are up as play entered June. it has been un-seasonably cool this year which makes sitting in the Jake a challenge.

BTW, two streaks ended yesterday, the home win streak and the Tiger streak. I didn't think Detroit would ever beat the Indians and it appeared that the Umpires had finally gotten in the act on Tuesday by making a couple of bad calls that went against the Tigers.

they haven't been so bad for so long as you suggest. they lost two World Series' since 1995, came close to another in '07 and have been competitive on/off since then. I think part of the attendance(which isn't really that low) has to do with games early in the season since the numbers are up as play entered June. it has been un-seasonably cool this year which makes sitting in the Jake a challenge.

BTW, two streaks ended yesterday, the home win streak and the Tiger streak. I didn't think Detroit would ever beat the Indians and it appeared that the Umpires had finally gotten in the act on Tuesday by making a couple of bad calls that went against the Tigers.

Actually their home attendance really is that low against all measures. Considerably lower. FYI all northern and midwest teams play home games in April, May and June. Cleveland had the LEAST amount of home games April through June.

For example:

Average home attendance within the Central division

KC 33,097

Detroit 30,610

Minnesota 24,300 ( worst team in baseball)

Chicago White Sox 21,581

Cleveland 17,386

Even Milwaukee which is playing horrible baseball draws 28,000+ per home game

The numbers are what they are. I was just surprised that with as good as they are playing why no one is coming to watch them. Economic reasons? Empathy? Non believers? Not a good baseball town?

Detroit for example has drawn 1.2 million fans in their first 39 home games. The Indians have drawn 660,000 in their first 38 home games. Thats a huge disparity. Last I looked Detroit was north of Cleveland and has an outdoor stadium.

Link for attendence. Look at the huge disparity

mark
    Mark, I have lived in the Greater Cleveland area my entire life, so I can't comment on what it's like in other cities around the League. unless you are familiar with Cleveland and have been here in the spring I can't really explain what it can be like. at The Jake it's much better than old Municipal Stadium which was brutal, the wind would come whipping off the Lake and drive fans out of their seats in the early part of the season. at The Jake it's better but can still be a challenge in April and early May, and as I said this year has been cooler than normal. I'm sure it has kept fans away as it usually does.

remember a few years ago when they got snowed out and played a home game in Minnesota or Milwaukee?? Lake Effect Snow is a true phenomenon that we endure, not as bad as Buffalo but still pretty intense when Lake Erie gets ramped up. back around 1997 we had 4-feet fall in a 24 hour period, but that was in November. it happens in the spring sometimes, though, I think we had a late snowfall where I live in early may this year. only about three inches but it fell in about 40 minutes.

attendance has been going up and if the Team continues to play at their current pace of close to .600 things will average out nicely. they had a sellout on Monday, three games that averaged about 22k and another sellout tonight. playing the Yanks and winning big right now should boost sales heading into the All-Star Game.

speaking of tonight's game, Mike Napoli hit a monster HR that almost hit the scoreboard in left/left center field. I don't know how many players have done that, but Napoli missed by actually hitting the base where the steps stop and the wall starts. there's a guy that sits out there, John Adams, who's the drummer --- they let him store his base drum at the Stadium and he beats it all game, every game, been doing it for years. he had to move to avoid being hit!!! they replaced the scoreboard awhile ago which was sad. there a spot about half way up that had a dent from a Jose Canseco HR, an absolute bomb. I know that every time I went to a game I'd look up there at it, just remarkable.

Napoli came close, the guy never gets cheated on a swing, even when he strikes out. it's nice to have him since he really hurt us when he was with Boston.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland's bull pen really gave a boost to the Royals last night.
    yeah, Brian Shaw had a game which was an aberration and then Dyson hits the first grand salami of his career!!! all that because Kluber had to leave the game with a leg cramp after he had dominated the Royals. everything returned to normal last night, Salazar dominated the Royals, Shaw came in to go 1-2-3 with two K's and Dyson was again his normal self at 1-4 with two K's.

we shall see what happens today in the 95 degree heat s Carrasco should prove up to the task. the question is will Napoli crush another one?? he has been hot lately and he never gets cheated.
    11-0 Tribe in the bottom of the fifth. And Santana, Napoli, Kipnis and Naquin(2) hit bombs.
    I had just checked, Carrasco cruising with a one hitter. MeThinks the Tribe and their staff might be for real this year, they'll get a test coming up against the Nationals.

Mark, I have lived in the Greater Cleveland area my entire life, so I can't comment on what it's like in other cities around the League. unless you are familiar with Cleveland and have been here in the spring I can't really explain what it can be like. at The Jake it's much better than old Municipal Stadium which was brutal, the wind would come whipping off the Lake and drive fans out of their seats in the early part of the season. at The Jake it's better but can still be a challenge in April and early May, and as I said this year has been cooler than normal. I'm sure it has kept fans away as it usually does.

remember a few years ago when they got snowed out and played a home game in Minnesota or Milwaukee?? Lake Effect Snow is a true phenomenon that we endure, not as bad as Buffalo but still pretty intense when Lake Erie gets ramped up. back around 1997 we had 4-feet fall in a 24 hour period, but that was in November. it happens in the spring sometimes, though, I think we had a late snowfall where I live in early may this year. only about three inches but it fell in about 40 minutes.

attendance has been going up and if the Team continues to play at their current pace of close to .600 things will average out nicely. they had a sellout on Monday, three games that averaged about 22k and another sellout tonight. playing the Yanks and winning big right now should boost sales heading into the All-Star Game.

You would have thought it would go up but it really hasn't. Still 28th in attendance.

Last night Chicago @ Detroit 33,000 in attendance

Last night Minnesota @ Cleveland 17,000 in attendance.

mark

I was at the Indians game Saturday night (7/30) and it was sold out.
    I tend to like him, but Mark won't mention that because it doesn't fit his narrative.

again, as a life-long Clevelander I will say that many don't understand the dynamics of the fan base. attendance back in the 1990's when the Team set a record with sellouts was driven by the new Stadium and season ticket holders. currently the attendance is driven by how the Team is playing and the "Walk-up" crowd. considering how they were getting trashed by the Twins I wouldn't expect the walk-up to be very large.

I tend to like him, but Mark won't mention that because it doesn't fit his narrative.

again, as a life-long Clevelander I will say that many don't understand the dynamics of the fan base. attendance back in the 1990's when the Team set a record with sellouts was driven by the new Stadium and season ticket holders. currently the attendance is driven by how the Team is playing and the "Walk-up" crowd. considering how they were getting trashed by the Twins I wouldn't expect the walk-up to be very large.

When you are in first place you would not expect to be 28th out of 30 teams in attendance. All I wanted to know is why this is, so I asked. I was curious to why. I will go with the logical conclusion as no one has offered any other reason why.

mark
    what is the logical conclusion, that the fans don't care or that Cleveland is a lousy Baseball town?? now I'm curious to know what YOU think it is.

to be honest, I go to maybe 1-2 games a year but I haven't been in almost two years now. for me it's because of my work schedule but my youngest son is working on some tickets, we just haven't decided when we want to go. what distresses me about every kind of entertainment is that I have to pay through the nose for good tickets. concerts, sporting events, it's gotten ridiculous, so I tend to just stay away. heck, I have yet to watch a game at the new Browns Stadium and I was a season ticket holder at one time. those days are gone for me.

a peculiar thing about Cleveland is that the sports facilities are actually in the heart of the City but the population that fills the seats is in the surrounding Metropolitan area. I think the pop of Cleveland is now under 400k which is pretty low for a major market sports franchise. I know there are a lot of people who are fairly po'd about the way the Browns Stadium was financed and the pop has gone down since then. people are leaving the city and not going to it. I'm not sure how all that stuff figures into the game attendance, but if you look at Chicago which is laid out similarly to Cleveland they have something like 2.3 million residents and support two MLB Teams.

are there other MLB Teams that have a similar number of residents as Cleveland and draw well every night??
    Before the most recent home stand, the team had played the fewest home games in MLB. A lot of their home games were in May looking at my schedule real quick. Looking a little deeper there is a bit of a scheduling anomaly in that between June 6 and July 3, they played a total of 6 home games, which is prime time for going to baseball. Through that time there was something else going on in the city that was occupying everyones attention. (Cavs)

The place will be packed in September, unless they manage to fall out of the race somehow. I was at the wild card game in 2013 and I haven't seen a crowd like that since 1995. They were significantly more people downtown then just the stadium crowd.

PS: Garrnettstyle is a Reds fan, I believe. So this won't work to aggravate him.
    I'll try this one more time. You Cleveland guys are wearing me out : ) Are they always last of near the last in attendence heading into Sept? They are 29th out of 30 in average attendence. There are a lot of northern teams that have played near the same amount of games. They all played a lot of games in the same crappy weather in the Spring.

Link

mark

I'll try this one more time.

and I'll ask again, what is your logical conclusion??
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    I'll try this one more time. You Cleveland guys are wearing me out : ) Are they always last of near the last in attendence heading into Sept? They are 29th out of 30 in average attendence. There are a lot of northern teams that have played near the same amount of games. They all played a lot of games in the same crappy weather in the Spring.

Link

mark

To be honest, I can't say. I've never really followed the attendance figures. I know for the past several seasons, they would get off to poor starts and then close strong. Even in 2013 when they got the Wild Card, they needed a 10 game winning streak to close the season to get in. I think last summer they were 10 games under .500 for much of it.

I looked for tickets for Saturday's game against the Angels and its pretty slim pickins for 4 together.

Looking at their schedule, since June 6, they have played 22 homes games, while today will be road game #34 in that same span. I'd be surprised if other teams have that big a disparity, especially a 6 game home stand surrounded by two 10 game road trips right in the heart of summer.

Maybe some teams have. Who knows. I'm not going to research it, but knock yourself out if you want to.

still no "logical conclusion" from Mark, maybe he'll weigh in on last night's game where only 16k+ showed up for some conspiratorial reason. I'm sure it isn't because it rained on/off all day and there were two delays during the game, people may have thought it might be a good idea to stay home.

sometimes things are just too simple.
    I couldn't believe the game started on time. It was coming down buckets at 6PM on my way home. I've already spend too much time on attendance. Lets talk about the games.

Is Naquin hitting the wall (0 for his last 16)?
    With 11 Ks. Yuk
    Oh my, are the Angels really as bad as they have looked in these two games??

while the Indians have the look of coming out of their slump the Tigers appear to have entered one of their own. this is the time of the season that really shows the measure of a Team. I know the Indians have 1-2 off days through the rest of the regular season so playing good again has happened at the right time. the new guy, Guyer, had a nice game yesterday and Jose Ramirez is really, really playing good, I think his energy and overall play has carried to other players.
    attention Mark, attention Mark.......................it has been raining most of the afternoon in/around Cleveland. there's a chance the crowd will be thin tonight. any guess on the over-under at 18k-16k??
    well, well, well --- after a rain delay that lasted more than 2 hours the attendance was 30k+, that means anyone who took the "over" is a winner!!! not only that, but they got treated to a Rook throwing 5+ innings of a no-no against the Team that drafted him. does anyone know what's wrong with the Angels, they seem too good to be playing so bad??
    Fantastic start by Clevinger Sat. night. Beautiful comeback win yesterday. The Angels have had me scratching my head for the past several years. I agree they, they should be better or at least not a 90+ loss team.

I'm looking forward to the weekend series against Toronto.
    on Wednesday night I went to bed with the Tribe up 7-5 and woke to see they lost in the ninth; I didn't make the same mistake last night and was rewarded with a walk-off. way to go Naquin!!! bring on the Blue Jays for what will be a tough series for both Teams.
    How about a walk off inside the park homer by Naquin after Ramirez ties it to win in bottom of the 9th? Over 30K watched it! Crazy!
    OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!

I had somewhere I had to be tonight, walked into the house and flipped to the game as they were coming out of commercial to the bottom of the ninth. Jose Ramirez with an 0-2 dinger to tie and Naquin with an almost bomb that was about as perfectly placed for his run around the bases as you could get!!! that kid is something, the Silver Lining behind the cloud of Brantley going down for almost the entire season. the Indians have two-and-a-half Rookies that are really having an affect on things, have been all season.

this will be a good weekend to gauge things for both Teams. how will Toronto react tomorrow?? will Cleveland carry over the momentum to the next game?? will Saturday be a sellout???
    what a weekend, what a series --- watch out for one of these two Teams in the Playoffs. they seem to be evenly matched to the point where one mistake can be the difference when they play each other, at least that's the way it worked out in these three games. again, as in Friday's game I was unable to watch because of work. believe it or not I was about a quarter-mile away from home when Ramirez smoked the HR that won it. this seems to be his time!!! for awhile it was Napoli who was always involved in the key moment of a game, now it's Ramirez and it almost always seems to be with either two strikes or two outs. he has turned into a clutch hitter in what is really his first true season as an everyday player.

right now it must be frustrating for the Tigers and the Royals, each has put together nice streaks and been unable to close on the Tribe. time is running out, although September will be fun as the Division Teams play among themselves down the stretch --- two Divisions are a toss-up, the Cubs seem like a shoe-in and the other three have Teams with leads that appear safe now, but who knows??? Cleveland heads to the West Coast and then works back through Texas and Minnesota which might be scary given how the Twins have dominated them.

time to suck it up boys and figure out how to pay it back!!!
    the Road Trip starts out with a squeaker, 1-0 thanks to the "Carlos Brothers" Carrasco and Santana.

I just looked up some stats because it seems to me that the Tribe is playing better in the field this season --- apparently my memory was remembering the 2014 season when they were horrendous and dead last, averaging .72 which is better than two errors every three games!!! last year they improved to about .48 and thus far they are close to the same at .53 or one error every two games. I know that kind of stuff is a focus for Terry Francona and always has been. I guess the same cant be said for the A's who as of late always seem to be near the bottom in the AL.

hey Mark, they averaged a bit over 30k vs. the Blue Jays --- If you _____________ they will come!!!image
    man, they really climbed into the dumpster in the last week, going back two starts with Tomlin who isn't fooling anyone!!! it's tough to win when you get behind in the count and all you have is a scintillating 89mph fastball. add to that an offense which is suddenly asleep with three runs in the past four games.

Tito better shake 'em up or things could get ugly.........................
    That was an ugly week. Outside of that 12 run outburst on Friday, 4 runs in 5 games the rest of the week.
    yeah, it's one thing for a player or two to slump but not a whole line-up!!! maybe they "found" themselves against the Twins at home, finally figured out a way to beat them. what worries me is that the only guy really pitching now in the rotation is Kluber, although Salazar looked OK in his last start.............finally. maybe this day off will allow them to regroup for the stretch. after Miami and Houston it's into the Division for the run to the finish line.

I'm pretty excited about it all and I think I might get some tickets for the Detroit series, out in the section right next to the Home Run Porch: easy in and easy out, great view of the field and only a few steps out of the stands to walk around.
    I've sat in just about every section in that stadium except for those first few lower level sections by the HR porch. I've sat on the opposite side, lower RF where the seats turn (only crummy seats in the whole stadium). I'll have to make it a point to sit there sometime.

I'm kind of targeting that mid-week KC series. Not sure I'll make it before then.

Have fun, keets.
    another good outing by Carrasco, his slider was really the "out" pitch last night. we are at that part of the season where the top Teams that beat who they should will be in the playoffs.
    Bauer pitched really well after the first and the batters really roughed up Fernandez, he looked confused on the mound which is unusual for him. Cleveland is now able to enjoy the double bonus of Detroit vs. KC and the announcers last night used the phrase Magic Number in the post-game for the first time, I think it's 23 to clinch. looking at the standing I believe the Cubbies are already there --- while the rest of MLB plays one game the Chicago Cubs seem to be in another universe. that is good for Baseball.
    it sure is nice to be home!!!
    after a nice Home Stand the Tribe takes to the road. nice win last night, the 'pen pitched well and they were able to rest Miller. today it's Clevinger and the long relievers. I only have one question, will Napoli ever hit one for 500 feet?? he was close last night at around 464 into the 3rd level, a mammoth blast. one thing about Nap, he never gets cheated on a swing!!!
    Cleveland sure does seem to have trouble scoring runs for the past several weeks. they need to figure that out quick, the entire season hangs on how they play the next two weeks. the two problem areas that have developed, hiting with runners in scoring position and the lost art of BUNTING!! I have never seen so many players struggle to bunt and so many attempts popped up.
    the Indians continued their beat-down on the Detroit Tigers last night, it's nice to be home. this is a pretty important series and home-stand that should go a long way to deciding who the Division Champion will be. a few things stood out, mainly the way Corey Kluber continued to pitch, the way Mike Napoli crushes HR's and the simple fact that Jose Ramirez should be in the discussion for AL MVP and Francisco Lindor for AL Rookie of the Year.

the "magic number" is now down to nine!!