Home Precious Metals
Options

Newp poured silver bar

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

For once, I buy a bar and spot actually goes UP! image
Does anyone have a bar by this maker? This is the first time I've ever seen this brand.
BTW, the bar reads good under 99.99 fine with the precious metals verifier.
I like it! image

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am not familiar with the Great American Silver Company bar. I would guess it is from the 1980 bubble.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Yeah, it was the first I've seen of them, too.
    And I agree, it has a late 70's, early 80's look to it.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking pour and stamp, but haven't heard of the company.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Great American Silver Company started with a bang in 1972, incorporating in Georgia and filing for an ore separation patent in 1974, which was subsequently assigned in 1976. GASC held seminars around the country and their president was a widely-respected professor of international monetary policy by the name of J.R. Adams, who was also chief editor of the "Bullion Bulletin." However by the mid-1980's the company was pretty much defunct, and ended with a whimper in a 2001 dissolution filing.

GASC made bars in several sizes: 1 oz, 5 oz, 25 oz and 100 oz. This is the first 100 oz bar that anyone I know has seen, and I've contacted many vintage silver bar bloggers and collectors across the Internet to get their opinion. I'm quite sure you will never find another one in this size for sale.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MorganMan94

The Great American Silver Company started with a bang in 1972, incorporating in Georgia and filing for an ore separation patent in 1974, which was subsequently assigned in 1976. GASC held seminars around the country and their president was a widely-respected professor of international monetary policy by the name of J.R. Adams, who was also chief editor of the "Bullion Bulletin." However by the mid-1980's the company was pretty much defunct, and ended with a whimper in a 2001 dissolution filing.

GASC made bars in several sizes: 1 oz, 5 oz, 25 oz and 100 oz. This is the first 100 oz bar that anyone I know has seen, and I've contacted many vintage silver bar bloggers and collectors across the Internet to get their opinion. I'm quite sure you will never find another one in this size for sale.

It looks more like a 25ozer to me? The 1oz Engelhard says that can't be 100 can it?

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooops, I actually copied that from an ad I saw for one awhile back that was for a 100ozer. I didn't read it over before pasting it, thats my bad. I think the one he has posted is a 10
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a nice size bar and thanks for the history MorganMan94... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thank you everybody!
    Mine is a 10oz.