Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1804 Spiked Chin Half Cent -NEWP

dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
Here is a NEWP knocked down yesterday for My Type Set . It's shipped and isn't in hand yet, but I think I'll be pleased.

imageimage

I do know this is a Early Die State of Cohen-6, but don't have the proper references to figure out the exact die state according to Manley, but if I had to guess based on information at hand I would equate this piece with Manley Die State 2.2

*images posted are the sellers (indeetlib) - here is the huge TrueView if you so wish

Comments welcome.

-Doug

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup. Congrats

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice example of the type. I hadn't noticed the protruding tongue before which complements the *****ly chin. I'll stop there.
  • Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the things I love about half cents is the cool naked-eye varieties, and the Spiked Chin may be queen of them all. Congrats!
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Draped bust half cents are great coins (in my opinion). I'm really surprised they aren't more popular as a series (especially by date)...they seem to have a lot going for them and are very affordable relative to any other draped bust series.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice old copper and in great shape.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the spike.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to pass up if your into that series..
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, i like it
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I like old copper. Nice looking piece ya' got there.

Mike
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own one in my Dansco type set, but nowhere near that nice. Very nice coin and a very neat variety.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dig old copper and that's a nice piece

Msch1man you bring up a good point, and its an obsolete denomination as well.
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Received this beauty today and she is better in person! A nice chocolatey brown and wholesomely original . . . I didn't realize it until today she is representative for the VF20 grade in CoinFacts, but I think she should be at least worth 5 more points than the slab grade:

Originally posted by: ProfLiz

One of the things I love about half cents is the cool naked-eye varieties, and the Spiked Chin may be queen of them all. Congrats!

I needed a Draped Bust Half Cent for type and wanted something with a bit of character. This variety is pretty cool and I could see collecting all the different die state progressions of this single one.

Originally posted by: msch1man

Draped bust half cents are great coins (in my opinion). I'm really surprised they aren't more popular as a series (especially by date)...they seem to have a lot going for them and are very affordable relative to any other draped bust series.

In fact, I just read this article by Greg Reynolds : Classic U.S. Coins for less than $500 each: Draped Bust Half Cents. Not a ton of coins, so that would keep my interest and it would be a cool little set when completed.

Thanks for all the comments!

-d

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file