Home Precious Metals
Options

Could platinum stay below gold - permanently?

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
Automotive demand for platinum is likely to fall.

Analysis

What will platinum be worth if most of the demand is for coins and jewelry?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to Brexit, platinum is now a record $345 below gold.

There must be a price that jewelry and coin demand alone will support, but that price is anyone's guess.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooner or later South Africa will erupt. When it does, watch the PGMs fly...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like any metal market... it will go up and down.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could platinum stay below gold - permanently? - Yes.

Depends on what new applications it will be used in and how stable S. Africa and Russia are in the future as they are the top 2 platinum producers... those are two of the big questions for the "other white metal".

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reports of platinum's demise are over-exaggerated.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think under a grand it's a good buying opportunity.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland
    I think under a grand it's a good buying opportunity.

I agree.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Here is an interview with Rick Rule conducted on June 16 that includes discussion of what is likely to occur with plat., palad., lithium, coal, uranium, etc. in the next few years. It's about 30 minutes long. I found it interesting. You might as well.

http://www.provenprobable.com/blog/rick-rule-now-is-the-time-to-invest-in-clean-air/
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it wouldnt hurt to have some put aside. good idea
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    When the difference was about 250 between the two, I briefly considered going short 1 gold contract and long 2 platinum contracts. Net result to be long 100 oz of platinum and short 100 oz of gold, to be effectively betting that the gap between them would shrink. Glad I didn't do that. Of course now I'm wondering if NOW is the time.

I can't clearly make a list of reasons for the bet though, so I will probably pass again. My results have always been poor when something is only a feeling. But still, 345 dollars apart? That certainly FEELS wrong. Oh well.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platinum is an industrial metal.

Gold is a monetary metal.

Where do you see "safe haven" money going?

Other than bonds.

(which are going to be the final undoing of the US)
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platinum is an industrial metal.
    Gold is a monetary metal.

Yes.

Where do you see "safe haven" money going?
    Other than bonds (which are going to be the final undoing of the US).

This is exactly the question of the day, in my opinion.

I can't clearly make a list of reasons for the bet though, so I will probably pass again. My results have always been poor when something is only a feeling. But still, 345 dollars apart? That certainly FEELS wrong. Oh well.

See above statement, which is why you can only get a feeling. If I had to guess, the correlation between platinum and gold is probably not as strong as say, the statistical correlation between interest rates and the dollar, for example. Also, I wouldn't use the difference in price as my gauge, I would use the ratio of the prices simply because a ratio compensates automatically for the price level in revealing the magnitude of the difference.

Nevertheless, any correlation can be studied by taking a historical ratio of platinum price/gold price from about 1975 on. Still, if you choose to take a betting position based on the historical ratios, you can be sure that "someone" out there in the great blue yonder is doing something similar, probably in a more sophisticated way and with more experience in doing so.

For those reasons, slow and steady wins the race. In fact, why play with paper at all (unless of course it's money you can afford to lose and you regard it totally as an informed speculation)? Just know in advance what your approach really is and you will be less prone to making emotional moves.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corn is taller than knee high by the 4th of July, in most fields. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PGM's are doing rather well this week.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.