Home Precious Metals
Options

Do 90% silver coin values vary much by denomination?

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not up on what common dimes, quarters, halves and dollars sell for as a multiple of face. But I believe I read that the larger denominations do better.

Would someone give me direction? I have several hundred dollars in 90% I'd like to unload.

I'm sure this has been addressed before. Sorry.

Lance.

Comments

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they do.

35 or 40%, rarely talked about.

90% dimes - the red head of the U.S. 90% group.

Quarters usually sell for spot or spot plus 1x face.

Halves at 1x to 2x plus spot.

Unc, you can sometimes hold out for more than the above.

Use APMEX for a guide in $10 face value increments.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and silver dollars are a whole other animal with most not even including them in conversations regarding 90%.

Peace, 1921 Morgans and pre-21 Morgans all trade at different values based on condition and quantity. I'll let others chime in with prices and you can also check apmex.com for current retail sales prices and some buy back (wholesale) prices as well.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    current melt is about 12.5 x which means a dime is worth $1.25 a quarter $3.13 and a half $6.25
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    Silver dollars contain more silver than a dollars. worth of dimes, quarters or half dollars. A dollar worth of minor coinage contains about .71 ounce and an silver dollar contains .77 ounce. May not seem like much but it does make the melt value higher.
    Even the modern commem dollars contain more silver.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinnerd
    Silver dollars contain more silver than a dollars. worth of dimes, quarters or half dollars. A dollar worth of minor coinage contains about .71 ounce and an silver dollar contains .77 ounce. May not seem like much but it does make the melt value higher.
    Even the modern commem dollars contain more silver.

Good info, thank you.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good information... the gold/silver buyers (at least around here) will give all sorts of excuses and false information to people selling old silver coins...real hucksters. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    If condition is the same, Franklin half dollars are always worth a higher percentage of spot
    than dimes and quarters.

Common date Walkers have a bit more numismatic value too if they are VF, XF or AU.

With Walkers and Franklins nobody has to know silver content by date. They are
    all 90%.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Live spot price for US silver coins

Does not include any added premium but a good starting point and it is constantly updated information.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt